Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIREBIRD C26 BLACK SMOKE

Options
  • 02-11-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi folks fired up my boiler yesterday for the first time this year and it started with no problems until i went outside and noticed black smoke coming from the flue. I turned it off straight away to investigate what the problem was. I checked the filter on the oil line and it seemed it good condition. I then checked the photo cell and it was pretty black so I cleaned it and put it back. I tried to start the burner up again but had no joy it just kept on trying to ignite. So today I got a new photo cell installed and burner fired up but yet again black smoke. Any ideas whats causing this black smoke.
    It has a riello RDB 2.2 burner

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

For a start, it is very unlikely that you needed a new photo cell. Black smoke is usually caused by insufficient air for the amount of fuel being delivered. Check the air intake for blockages and the flue terminal also. If not any of those, it needs to be opened up and properly inspected.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

You need a service call.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭churchtown2012

Thanks Wearb the flue pipe seems to be a dual system i.e expels condensation and a air intake... i have inspected for blockages but found nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

shane0007 wrote: »
    You need a service call.

+1 and to somebody who knows how to solve the enviromax issues

Thanks Wearb the flue pipe seems to be a dual system i.e expels condensation and a air intake... i have inspected for blockages but found nothing

Then it does need a service call as suggested above. Don't think of that as a bad thing as it will most likely save you the cost of the call before heating season is over due to increased efficiency after a PROPER service.

• Advertisement

100% you won't sort a HE Firebird sooting issue without a service call. The rear flue way will also require cleaning as it is extremely narrow & will be totally affected by sooting.

You will also require a service engineer who is experienced on sorting Environmax boiler issues. Soot & condensing boilers don't mix well.

don't you just love the first call on a Monday being an enviromax

gets you into the swing of things for the week

I had to take a power washer to one before to clear the rear flue way. You can watch the crap coming out the condensate drain.

how much can is a service likely to cost...i will arrange one on monday

there is no soot in the flue at all...as i said it has'nt been used this year at all and was newly installed last year which got very little use..and it had not been left running long before i noticed the smoke

• Advertisement

Minimum €100 for a sooty Environmax.
    Just make sure they are used to sorting Environmax issues otherwise you will be paying again in the not so distant future or the next windy spell.

how much can is a service likely to cost...i will arrange one on monday

100 euro would be about the norm unless your in scudo territory no limit down there lol :eek:

there is no soot in the flue at all...as i said it has'nt been used this year at all and was newly installed last year which got very little use..and it had not been left running long before i noticed the smoke

Smoke = Carbon
    Carbon = Soot
    So smoke you can see coming out of the flue rarely passes through the flue without leaving some of itself behind on its way!

theres a very informative post on boards shane 0007 and dgobs were the main contributors its well worth a read a lot of issues with these boilers that you need to be aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

jimf wrote: »
    theres a very informative post on boards shane007 and dgobs were the main contributors its well worth a read a lot of issues with these boilers that you need to be aware of

Got a link jimf. I found it very useful.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Got a link jimf. I found it very useful.

no dtp but im sure shane will be able to find for us

seen as he can find billy in his speedos

Ok Shane we're waiting!

how dare he keep us waiting whats he trying to have a social life or something ???

jimf wrote: »
    how dare he keep us waiting whats he trying to have a social life or something ???

I know. The fcukin cheek. I hope he puts down his pint immediately and goes back through 8 months of boards posts to find it for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

does any one know were I can get replacement paper and the smoke chart for smoke pumps

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I know. The fcukin cheek. I hope he puts down his pint immediately and goes back through 8 months of boards posts to find it for us!

:):)

anthonyos wrote: »
    does any one know were I can get replacement paper and the smoke chart for smoke pumps

Try Charlie at Anton. If he doesn't have it I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction

will try him I have asked in hevac hm and other places nobody has them thanks ..what do they cost ???I have the pump but lost the chart and paper

on hwos web site for about a tenner

never seen that website before just had a look

never seen that website before just had a look

hard to beat their prices

Ok lads just notice something that i never cop before....had the extension external walls plastered during the summer(where the flue exists the house) and the flue is pointing downwards with the 3 holes facing the sky...now im either going mad but before i had the plastering done im sure the flue pointed upward with the 3 holes underneath....please tell me im not losing it...

Flue must be pointing upwards but that wouldn't make it soot. Plaster maybe blocking air ports.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Flue must be pointing upwards but that wouldn't make it soot. Plaster maybe blocking air ports.

Thanks shane0007 thought i was losing the plot ...think the plaster(father in law) may have taking it off to make his life easier...i will check it tomorrow and change it around before i get it serviced

• Advertisement

will try him I have asked in hevac hm and other places nobody has them thanks ..what do they cost ???I have the pump but lost the chart and paper

Did you try B E S or HWOS in the uk?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement