Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized Langster v Kona Paddy Wagon

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Seaneh wrote: »
    Fixies are stupid because who wants a bike where you can never coast, people who don't like their knees and want to punish them every chance they get, that's who. And flipflop hubs are just ugly. Added to that, track geometry isn't exactly designed for city riding
    I guess you don't mean Fixies are stupid, as they are after all just inanimate machines, but you mean people like me who ride fixies are stupid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

rp wrote: »
    I guess you don't mean Fixies are stupid, as they are after all just inanimate machines, but you mean people like me who ride fixies are stupid?

No, the bikes themselves are stupid.
    People who ride them are silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

You realise the original bikes were fixies?

ford2600 wrote: »
    You realise the original bikes were fixies?

Yes, and I realise there is a good reason we moved on from there. Just like we moved on from steam trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Yes, and I realise there is a good reason we moved on from there. Just like we moved on from steam trains.

Steam trains are well regarded pieces of engineering, they're just not cost effective for high volume public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Ciann

Have you thought about the on one pompino OP?

For a lad that waxes lyrical about the beauty of old steel bike that's a strange position to take...

If you develop your logical a ss is as redundant as a fixie...

I use both, they both have their merits.

For a lad that waxes lyrical about the beauty of old steel bike that's a strange position to take...

If you develop your logical a ss is as redundant as a fixie...

I use both, they both have their merits.

No, not really.

Steel is still beautiful and comfortable, easily repaired and extremely hardy.

All in all, steel is still the best material to build bikes from, and you can even get a steel bike to barely above the UCI weight limits if you're that arsed.

If I bought a steel bike, it would be for a few reasons.

If it cracks, I can get it rewelded.
    It will make my journeys in the city more comfortable.
    I couldn't give a toss about weight once a bike is in or about 10kg, because I've a lot of weight to get rid of before I even need to consider the weight of the bike being a real issue.

Fair enough if you're a 60kg climber or someone who's caught a dose if weenieitis, then you can start naming negatives when it comes to steel, but in reality, there are far, far more positives.

And nothing, but nothing, looks better than a well made lugged and brazed steel frame. But modern tubing with smooth welds can look pretty fecking nice as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

Jaysus...why are people so hyper-sensitive?

Seaneh said he thought fixies were stupid, his opinion, and you'd swear he was slagging your dead mother.

Just disagree, give your reasons and fight over. People really dragging the ar$e out of it now.

No, not really.

Steel is still beautiful and comfortable, easily repaired and extremely hardy.

All in all, steel is still the best material to build bikes from, and you can even get a steel bike to barely above the UCI weight limits if you're that arsed. I

If I bought a steel bike, it would be for a few reasons.

If it cracks, I can get it rewelded.
    It will make my journeys in the city more comfortable.
    I couldn't give a toss about weight once a bike is in or about 10kg, because I've a lot of weight to get rid of before I even need to consider the weight of the bike being a real issue.

Fair enough if you're a 60kg climber or someone who's caught a dose if weenieitis, then you can start naming negatives when it comes to steel, but in reality, there are far, far more positives.

And nothing, but nothing, looks better than a well made lugged and brazed steel frame. But modern tubing with smooth welds can look pretty fecking nice as well.

I'll check with you before I make any further bike purchase just to make sure it's in compliance with what's stupid beautiful or whatever from the past.

• Advertisement

I'll check with you before I make any further bike purchase just to make sure it's in compliance with what's stupid beautiful or whatever from the past.

You can buy whatever you like, I don't care, but if you post asking for advice and I have an opinion on the matter, I'll share my advice.

Hopefully if that ever happens you won't be a such a princess about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/66614/Kona-Paddy-Wagon/

I like the Kona's 2013 colour scheme. Had a good look at one earlier in the year, nice bike and was very tempted to buy one after my Felt Dispatch was nicked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I have a steel fixed gear. It really is a beautiful bike.

FWIW, I think Freds are silly. You know those fat ones that break red lights and rant about young people having fun hipsters on the internet while stuffing themselves with cake? Seaneh, apologies if you're one of those. That's just my opinion so I'm sure you wont be a princess about it. Good man yourself.:)

OP, some of Genisis bikes are also worth a look. Might be a bit over budget but food for thought anway.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/single/flyer

ror_74 wrote: »
    I have a steel fixed gear. It really is a beautiful bike.

FWIW, I think Freds are silly. You know those fat ones that break red lights and rant about young people having fun hipsters on the internet while stuffing themselves with cake? Seaneh, apologies if you're one of those. That's just my opinion so I'm sure you wont be a princess about it. Good man yourself.:)

OP, some of Genisis bikes are also worth a look. Might be a bit over budget but food for thought anway.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/single/flyer

I don't break red lights.
    I'm definitely fat.
    I'm 29 so hardly in the middle aged cranky stage.
    I'm not a fan of cake.

And again, I really wish people wouldn't take peoples opinions so personally.

Kids these days, can't say anything without them turning into whiny little feckers.

Go outside and build a fort or something, playing too much playstation has you ruined.

BTW the flyer is nice, but that's because it has nice things like hood levers and medium gearing it takes full guards, it's not a track bike with two crap brakes and no bar tape pretending it's a street bike. I'd ride it as a singlespeed though, because coasting is nice sometimes.

Bikes like the langster are perfectly good track bikes, especially for the price-point. But they aren't commuter friendly like the Kona or even your lovely flyer are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I need to stop being a poor person so I can buy more bikes.

I need to stop being a poor person so I can buy more bikes.

When you figure that out, tell me your secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

I commute on a fixed gear langster with 20mm tires, clipless pedals and mud gaurds. It is my favorite bike to cycle, but i can see the merits of other bikes too, mainly when going up to Whitehall from dcc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I commute on a fixed gear langster with 20mm tires, clipless pedals and mud gaurds. It is my favorite bike to cycle, but i can see the merits of other bikes too, mainly when going up to Whitehall from dcc.

You gotta hit it hard coming off the bridge in Drumcondra and just keep spinning. :)

(In saying that, I've been doing it awhile on on 49x17 but I think I need to drop a few inches now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

I'm on a 48/16 well would be if i didn't have a broken finger, one thing is for certain, getting Dublin bus is the worst way to commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Weird, I cud da sworn I posted a youtube link yesterday in this thread. Now deleted by moderator I guess. Baffling

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

slap/dash wrote: »
    Weird, I cud da sworn I posted a youtube link yesterday in this thread. Now deleted by moderator I guess. Baffling

MOD VOICE: It was inappropriate. If you have an issue with it being pulled, please PM myself or one of the other mods to discuss off thread, do not repost it.

Advertisement