Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized Langster v Kona Paddy Wagon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

For commuting ? I'd go with the Kona for the mudguard option.

The Langster looks nicer though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kona because it's a single speed not s stupid fixie.

The Tricross Single Speed is another option.

can take 32mm tyres with full mudguards (35 without), a pannier rack, a front rack and has bar top breaks (handy for city cycling).

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

Thanks guys for the replies :D

Yes - it is for commuting and I would be looking to put a set of full length mudguards on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Seaneh wrote: »

can take 32mm tyres with full mudguards (35 without), a pannier rack, a front rack and has bar top breaks (handy for city cycling).

Seriously? What are you, five?

And if you check the Specs for the Langster, it comes with Tektro brakes.

It's still a stupid fixie. I never mentioned brakes (or lack there of).

It also has no mounting points for Mudguards or a rack, so it's not exactly designed for commuting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

The link posted for the Langster was from the Specialized US site, have a look at the GB one for bikes available in Ireland. The frame might be a different colour, but spec probably the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Maybe he means that it is below the average intelligence of other fixies? Or he experiences a strong aesthetic displeasure at the sight of flip flop hubs...

If I still had intact knees I'd give a fixie a go, I just wouldn't wear women's trousers or take my typewriter out to the park to 'work on my novel'.

FWIW I prefer the looks of the Kona, the Langster just screams fashion (and possibly track racing).

My bodged singlespeed is absolutely bomb proof great choice for a flattish city ride, just be doubly sure that there aren't any epic climbs; it's one thing to HTFU, it's another to grind your knees into powder (Believe me it can be done).

nak wrote: »
    The link posted for the Langster was from the Specialized US site, have a look at the GB one for bikes available in Ireland. The frame might be a different colour, but spec probably the same.

Pretty much identical spec wise, you can get the "street" version in Ireland too, with horrible looking bullhorn bars.

I'm fairly sure the law requires track bikes/ fixies to be sold with at least one brake. It does in the UK.

Also - why are fixies stupid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

have you considered a surly steamroller? a lot of tyre clearance

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for all the replies.

I'll check further into the mounting points for mudguards before purchasing.

Cheers

ror_74 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the law requires track bikes/ fixies to be sold with at least one brake. It does in the UK.

Also - why are fixies stupid ?

Again, I never mentioned brakes... :confused:

Fixies are stupid because who wants a bike where you can never coast, people who don't like their knees and want to punish them every chance they get, that's who. And flipflop hubs are just ugly. Added to that, track geometry isn't exactly designed for city riding.

I'd pick single speed over a fixie any day of the week. The Paddy waggon, or something like it, is designed for city riding.

upright position, mudguards, mount for rack, ability to coast up to junctions nice and easy. All the good stuff.

its a personal choice, but i wouldnt consider aluminium for a single speed around town. its not that crucial to save crazy weight on the frame, so id pick kona out of the two, but tbh i would stress that handbuilt wheels are the way to go on an everyday bike. something like surly/ultegra hubs w high spoke count and a solid rim. they do have some nice looking frames in cyckeways now, and that place in marys abbey can order surlys

Re the Steamroller - don't get me wrong I love Surly (looks wise at least) but i don't see why you'd ever want more than 28mm clearance on a city bike (On the Kona site it states up to 28mm with mudguards).

I don't see why you'd ever want more than 28mm clearance on a city bike.

Because 32mm @ 95psi is sooooo comfy, that's why :D

Re the Steamroller - don't get me wrong I love Surly (looks wise at least) but i don't see why you'd ever want more than 28mm clearance on a city bike (On the Kona site it states up to 28mm with mudguards).

i hear ya. i ride an iro with 23 gators on there and it can be a bit dodgey when the frost is out, not to mention being boneshaking, so i would recommend 25 or 28. however, i did ride a bit along the canals and that kinda surface could call for wider tyres. might as well go for functionaliy and toughness which is why i suggest steel frame with clearance and some tough well made wheels.
    plus the surly is a nice looking frame without being all deep v hipster puke nawmeen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Fixies are stupid because who wants a bike where you can never coast, people who don't like their knees and want to punish them every chance they get, that's who. And flipflop hubs are just ugly. Added to that, track geometry isn't exactly designed for city riding.

I'd pick single speed over a fixie any day of the week. The Paddy waggon, or something like it, is designed for city riding.

upright position, mudguards, mount for rack, ability to coast up to junctions nice and easy. All the good stuff.

You said the kona was an SS and the Langster was a stupid Fixie. The Langster comes with a flip flop hub and brakes so is also a single speed.

The linked photo had no brakes.

I take your point about flip flop hubs. The rest is, with all due respect, nonsense. Fixies :

- improve muscular strength around the knee.
    - improve pedal action and bike handling.
    - improve overall muscle strength.
    - improve overall fitness.

yeah i dont real get how a flip flop hub is ugly? dont almost all hubs you see around have both? or are exposed threads better somehow?

ror_74 wrote: »
    The linked photo had no brakes.

I take your point about flip flop hubs. The rest is, with all due respect, nonsense. Fixies :

- improve muscular strength around the knee.
    - improve pedal action and bike handling.
    - improve overall muscle strength.
    - improve overall fitness.

agreed, however, dont you think that even a single speed can help with these issues too? i mean i love hills, and i think its because when im on me road bike i have so many years of having to have mashed up on a crappy 52x16! im now more sensible wrt ratio, but still like a big ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I vote for the Langster. I had one for about 4 years when in London doing city commuting everyday found it the right mix of nimble for dealing with traffic while still having a decent top speed. FWIW I used it single speed.

the langster a couple years back had a steel version that was nice. i do think that riser bars are better for in town use, so thats another reason why id be inclined towards a frame and build it up...more cash, but spend once and spend well is my motto

slap/dash wrote: »
    agreed, however, dont you think that even a single speed can help with these issues too? i mean i love hills, and i think its because when im on me road bike i have so many years of having to have mashed up on a crappy 52x16! im now more sensible wrt ratio, but still like a big ring.

Yea sure, as with geared bikes. With a fixed you're forced to push it which makes a difference, I found. Each to their own I guess. I wouldn't commute with clipless pedals on one though, hill starts are too tricky.

agreed. mks gr9s all the way

have you considered a surly steamroller? a lot of tyre clearance

Anywhere in Ireland stock these? Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The Kona has a flip-flop hub for fixed/ss, the same as the Langster.

If you were looking for a commuter, I'd suggest the Kona simply because you can put wider tires and mudguards on it, and the steel frame is well able to take a beating. But the Langster is a nicer bike, lighter and more nimble and a carbon fork to top it off. But not ideal for commuting.

Both bikes will come with rear and front brakes, it's the law for any UK bikeshop, they have to supply them.

Slightly OT but I would literally kill a man for a Surly frame (Crosscheck or Pacer...maaaaybe LHT)

donal7 wrote: »
    Anywhere in Ireland stock these? Very nice.

http://buildabike.ie/

he'll order the frame and fork separately if you want. something around 400 i think, though im not sure. stick some wheels on for another 300. cheap cranks/stem/bars, and you have a monster

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

if you intend year round commuting, having an option to put on 32/35mm ice tyres is useful for those few icy eeks in the winter.....its the reason I changed to a cyclocross bike.

• Advertisement

http://buildabike.ie/

he'll order the frame and fork separately if you want. something around 400 i think, though im not sure. stick some wheels on for another 300. cheap cranks/stem/bars, and you have a monster

Thanks for all the info slap/dash. I'm heading into Build a Bike this weekend to take a look as they have one on display :D

Advertisement