Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confessions of a never has been.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

skyblue46 wrote: »
    That's a great report. Well done on toughing it out...though from reading your race reports over the last while toughing it out when the going got tough was never going to be in question. Enjoy the downtime.

Thanks S - loving the downtime already !

Brilliant run DD, great report too - enjoyed that read. Enjoy the well deserved recovery.

Thanks J - might see you at another race over the next few months

Great stuff. Andale Andale. Brilliant. Well done on another phenomenal performance. Lots for us to take from that. Some great nuggets of advice in there.

Thanks P - I'm sure I'm selling the marathon to you with how pleasant it sounds ?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well done, D. Great report, full of insight. Just a parkrun to go? Sure you never do parkrun! :D Congrats on a brilliant race.

ha ha - thanks D, you never know...I might actually make one over the next while now

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Super report, with so many colourful details. Congrats on the PB, savage running

Thanks R - there are large parts of the race that are a real blur to be honest but then some that will stay with me forever

• Advertisement

Congrats on the PB DD - While its not a time that you would have wanted, to actually get a 2.54 under pressure like that is phenomenal.

I'm intrigued by the 'gasping for air' bits in the report - defo something not right there - effort levels way too high for MP.

Given the health issues over the last 2 years - In the overall scheme of things, this must be satisfying and also give you a graw to go 2.50 at some stage.

BTW - I liked the shades - did your BFF give you those?

Thanks A, I suspected on Friday and knew by Saturday that this wasn't going to be "the one", shivers and headaches etc... but all we can do is turn up and run as fast as we can with whatever we have in there. I'm not one for excuses but these aren't excuses, they're just factors to take into account when I'm looking back at the result.
    I'm delighted with the performance, genuinely - myself and FBOT often find ourselves talking about how the marathon seeks out every little weakness we bring to the table, some are more significant than others but ultimately, if something is off, we're going to be found out. If I run like that again with a slightly different set of circumstances, I've no doubt it'll be quicker again but then putting in that kind of effort in itself is not a given so its something I'll have to build towards again.

Times are times, they're numbers on a watch or a screen....the real satisfaction for me, comes from knowing that there simply wasn't anything else to give.

Re the shades, I was wearing those before that pup was even born :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the PB DD and the super report.
    Its a well earned PB and truly deserved. Your faster times will come when everything goes 100% on the day and that's a great time to get when not 100%. Enjoy the downtime and recovery.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Well done. Great report.
    "Times are times, they're numbers on a watch or a screen....the real satisfaction for me, comes from knowing that there simply wasn't anything else to give"

I like this :D

Well done. Great report.
    "Times are times, they're numbers on a watch or a screen....the real satisfaction for me, comes from knowing that there simply wasn't anything else to give"

Thanks a mill K

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done. Great report.

Me too... it's definitely an attitude worth stealing :)

Well done, super racing and a really great reading too, lots of lessons in there for anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Started reading your report on the dart on the way to work and have only managed to finish it today a great result D well done great report.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Belated congrats DD!! What a super report too - really enjoyed reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

(catching up...)

Great report, and well ran. ”Andele, Andele”. Words worth remembering!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done Double D, great ruyouve come a long way baby. :)

TbL

Feels a bit odd logging what amounts to recovery work but in the greater scheme of things, its as important as the other stuff.

Week 1 - nothing, except a 4 mile jog on the Friday, quads still fried, still feeling the headcold too.

Week 2
    Monday - 5.2 very easy miles after work
    Tuesday - 5.5 very easy miles at lunch
    Wednesday - headed down to the track with the lunchtime group, put my hand up to pace a couple of lads at around 6.30 min\mile for their session, legs felt good, loads of recovery in there too between reps. Let the speedsters do their thing and I just focused on form\stretching out the legs.

Thursday - 4 very easy miles
    Friday - 5.6 very easy miles after work, met FBOT for most of this one.
    Saturday - Another light workout, again just focusing on form and turnover, not pace ( and keeping the effort away from anything silly). 90 seconds on, 2 minutes off x 6 ( I think)

Sunday - rest

Just over 30 miles for the week

Lots of core work in the last 5 days or so, something I'll focus on while I continue to stay away from any real plan for another 10 days or so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

What’s next D?

OOnegative wrote: »
    What’s next D?

Another week or so of taking it handy B, then launching into 10k stuff. I'll race at least once a month up to June and then start to look towards Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Duanington wrote:
    Another week or so of taking it handy B, then launching into 10k stuff. I'll race at least once a month up to June and then start to look towards Dublin...

Dunshaughlin by any chance?

Dunshaughlin by any chance?

Most likely :pac:

Duanington wrote:
    Most likely

Right.... I have 3 months to get into sub 36 shape. Haha...

Although by then it'll be closer to 35.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Now I'm not sure if I'll run it or just take a seat on the finishing straight! Any chance AMK, Healy and MellowYellow will join in I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Now I'm not sure if I'll run it or just take a seat on the finishing straight! Any chance AMK, Healy and MellowYellow will join in I wonder?

I am afraid I don't think I have had the pleasure of meeting either Healy or MellowYellow but I 100% agree that AMK should join in and take a seat with you on the finishing straight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

It's down as a maybe at the moment......I've still to figure out what my summer's gonna look like. 3 weddings and a couple of stag parties will mean Ill probably look to make it a slightly longer block than usual. I definitely would like to fit it in. We've never really all landed in a race where we were all targeting a fast time have we? :) I've never even met SB or MY in person :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

DD good morning and massive congratulations on Seville PB. What a report and race management under the conditions when you weren't feeling great. Fantastic. That Spanish guy, ah.

healy1835 wrote:
    It's down as a maybe at the moment......I've still to figure out what my summer's gonna look like. 3 weddings and a couple of stag parties will mean Ill probably look to make it a slightly longer block than usual. I definitely would like to fit it in. We've never really all landed in a race where we were all targeting a fast time have we? I've never even met SB or MY in person

I've never met DD or MY. I think the only Boardsies I've ever been in the same race with are Murph_D, aquinn, misterpaul and diego_b in Charleville.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I've never met DD or MY. I think the only Boardsies I've ever been in the same race with are Murph_D, aquinn, misterpaul and diego_b in Charleville.

Didn't you start out well :D

aquinn wrote:
    Didn't you start out well

I sure did. Was great to not be the only one limping out of the hall. We were like two geriatrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I am afraid I don't think I have had the pleasure of meeting either Healy or MellowYellow but I 100% agree that AMK should join in and take a seat with you on the finishing straight :P

:pac::pac:

Thats as close to them as I'll get on the finish line.

Not too sure if I'm doing Dunshaughlin - I'm doing a few races close together May-July, so this one might miss out.
    (now if DD & co are in $h!te form - I might just line up)

Not too sure if I'm doing Dunshaughlin - I'm doing a few races close together May-July, so this one might miss out.

We all might have to divert our attention to Clonee ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

We all might have to divert our attention to Clonee ;)

I ran beside MY once in Raheny - the b'stard didn't even introduce himself - we were only doing 5.45/mile :D

At least Healy introduced himself during the FD10 last year before he sauntered off into the distance.......

And sure remember, I'm old.

Advertisement