Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human greed

Options
  • 31-10-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

They way the world is today seems to be a race to the bottom with regard to sqeezing middle and working classes, working hours are longer, salaries are lower and most jobs are on 'contract'. This all to the benefit of big business with increasing profits. It seems in Ireland that if big corporations see a cheaper option ( ie moving to china), they're gone.

This is a worrying trend the world over, fat cats getting super rich and that wealth gap increasing. I wonder though why humans have become so damn greedy, is it a mental illness ?where enough is never enough. Personally I like to try and be comfortable but never at the expense of others. In my job I have dealt with employment agencies and a lot of them are there as a middle man out for a quick buck, made off the back of the employee. I wonder how they can sleep at night making a living that way.

This is very worrying for humanity IMO, I dont have an alternative to capitalism but a system that benefits such a small few to the detriment of others can't be the way forward.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

And it begins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

lufties wrote: »
    It seems in Ireland that if big corporations see a cheaper option ( ie moving to china), they're gone.

Why shouldn't they?, its a business not a charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I ate all the kids sweets for Halloween tonight, I am one mother****er greedy person...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

wazky wrote: »

Roll on 1984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Humans have not become greedy. They were always thus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

there should be proper laws where the employees are looked after and compensated well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They way the world is today seems to be a race to the bottom with regard to sqeezing middle and working classes, working hours are longer, salaries are lower and most jobs are on 'contract'. This all to the benefit of big business with increasing profits. It seems in Ireland that if big corporations see a cheaper option ( ie moving to china), they're gone.

This is a worrying trend the world over, fat cats getting super rich and that wealth gap increasing. I wonder though why humans have become so damn greedy, is it a mental illness ?where enough is never enough. Personally I like to try and be comfortable but never at the expense of others. In my job I have dealt with employment agencies and a lot of them are there as a middle man out for a quick buck, made off the back of the employee. I wonder how they can sleep at night making a living that way.

This is very worrying for humanity IMO, I dont have an alternative to capitalism but a system that benefits such a small few to the detriment of others can't be the way forward.

What about world peace, would you not like world peace too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The capitalist swine have taken over! Giving corporations the same rights as people! Tyrannical private money-lenders ("Markets") manipulating the labour force, providing just enough money to wage-slaves to survive and just enough education to perform! They have it wrapped up so tight you can't even shake a stick at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Step on who you can to get closer to the top.

It's always been like that and probably will get a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

All these businesses are owned by shareholders, you and I and our pension funds.

That's how we benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Reminds me of this....

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    What about world peace, would you not like world peace too?

world peace might happen if people weren't profitting financially from war.

there should be proper laws where the employees are looked after and compensated well.

Of course they should but your statement just made no sense.

Maybe tree hugging-hippy sense but not business/real world sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

The world is like a ride in an amusement park and when we choose to go on it we think it's real, because thats's how powerful our minds are. And it goes up and down and round and round, it has thrills and chills and its very brightly colored and very loud, and it's fun - for a while.

Some people have been on the ride for a long time and after a while they begin to question: Is this real, or is it just a ride? But some people have remembered, and they come back to us and they say. "Hey, don't worry and don't be afraid ever, because this is just a ride" - and we kill those people...

"Shut him up! Ive got a lot invested in this ride... Look at my furrows of worry... Look at my big bank account... Look at my family... This has to be real"

But it's just a ride.

But we always kill those good guys who try to tell us that and we let the demons run amok. But it doesnt matter, because it's just a ride - and we can change it any time we want.

All we need is the choice.

No effort, no work, no job, no savings or money - just a choice - right now - between fear & love.

The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns and and close yourself off, the eyes of love instead, see all of us as one.

Here's what we can do to change the world to a better ride right now. Take all the money we spend on weapons and defence each year and instead spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded and we can explore space...

together...

both inner and outer...

forever...

...in peace.

- Bill Hicks (1961 - 1994 R.I.P.)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Can you give any example of a society past or present where things are or were better than now? Maybe our Celtic Tiger era?

Of course they should but your statement just made no sense.

Maybe tree hugging-hippy sense but not business/real world sense.

oh yea the sneering, patronising post. how does it not make sense that big corps coming and going as they please paying shag all tax. My point is workers are being reduced to slaves and we are moving backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

oh yea the sneering, patronising post. how does it not make sense that big corps coming and going as they please paying shag all tax. My point is workers are being reduced to slaves and we are moving backwards.

Wouldn't going backwards not be what you want? To some better times in the past which you are complaining about being changed.

Your point was " It seems in Ireland that if big corporations see a cheaper option ( ie moving to china), they're gone."

If its cheaper in China why would they stay?, if you shop in a discount shop as opposed to a high street shop do you feel guilty that the owner, workers etc in the high street aren't getting your money?, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

big business is like a soul sucking virus

Your point was " It seems in Ireland that if big corporations see a cheaper option ( ie moving to china), they're gone."

If its cheaper in China why would they stay?, if you shop in a discount shop as opposed to a high street shop do you feel guilty that the owner, workers etc in the high street aren't getting your money?, I doubt it.

I'd never shop in a discount store, I prefer to pay a few bob extra for quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I'd never shop in a discount store, I prefer to pay a few bob extra for quality.
    What if the Chinese are harder workers and produce better quality then Irish workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Religion and Jesus and all that **** has destroyed the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 love_struck

catallus wrote: »
    The capitalist swine have taken over! Giving corporations the same rights as people! Tyrannical private money-lenders ("Markets") manipulating the labour force, providing just enough money to wage-slaves to survive and just enough education to perform! They have it wrapped up so tight you can't even shake a stick at it!

its naïve to think a mary poppins style financial or military power could ever exist

the vast majority of people in Ireland do better than the vast bulk of the worlds population due to capitalism , that's not much compensation for a poor farmer in Africa who cant even access western markets etc but were equality to be fully implemented across the world , the least bad outcome for irish people would be a huge drop in wealth and lifestyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP the mega rich has always existed and particularly in the last 100 years. Rockefellers wealth would be worth around $330billion today. Thats before the age of moving manufacturing over seas

Ireland is a country that if you work hard you can be rich. There is very little old money in Ireland.

Wouldn't going backwards not be what you want? To some better times in the past which you are complaining about being changed.

Mr Burns is that you?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

Can you give any example of a society past or present where things are or were better than now? Maybe our Celtic Tiger era?

I think the Danes and the Norwegians have it nailed.. the Canadians aren't too far behind either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 175 ✭✭sonny jim bob jones

What about the people on the scratcher that have never worked a day in their lives and milk the system for every cent it's worth whether it is medical card, rent allowance etc. Are they greedy?

What about the people on the scratcher that have never worked a day in their lives and milk the system for every cent it's worth whether it is medical card, rent allowance etc. Are they greedy?

nah, just useless and lazy mostly.

They are oppressed by the MAN!, man.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 175 ✭✭sonny jim bob jones

They are oppressed by the MAN!, man.

Dude, where's my car?

Advertisement