Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Coast Winter Thread Merge

Options
  • 30-10-2013 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Any herring been caught and what rigs work well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi, I was in the angling shop the other day and they said that there were herring being caught around Dun Laoghaire with feathers. They said to use small sets of feathers/hooks as they have slightly smaller mouths than mackerel.
    I haven't tried for them yet but plan to in the next week or so, let us know if you have any success yourself;).
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi, I was in the angling shop the other day and they said that there were herring being caught around Dun Laoghaire with feathers. They said to use small sets of feathers/hooks as they have slightly smaller mouths than mackerel.
    I haven't tried for them yet but plan to in the next week or so, let us know if you have any success yourself;).
    Cheers
    hope to get out next week so will keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gumpy2

Hi there I thought id start a thread similar to the mackerel thread but basically whos catching what on the east coast during the winter months be it codling, whiting or great white :D

Il start it off with last night Kiliney last night 8-11pm , using peeler, rag, squid and mackerel ,
    result 4 whiting and 1 small codling , all returned to fight another day

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Fishing A Beach In Winter....
    Heroic Stuff !
    gumpy2 wrote: »
    Hi there I thought id start a thread similar to the mackerel thread but basically whos catching what on the east coast during the winter months be it codling, whiting or great white :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mod: I merged a couple of thread that have started recently regarding the East coast and winter fishing. We'll try and keep everything here so people have an idea of whats about and where. Thanks to gumpy2 for starting this.

Tight Lines East Coast Angling Boardies :D

Hi Lads,
    I managed to get out to Dun Laoghaire (West Pier) on Sunday for a few hours with a friend of mine and we managed to catch a few herring, only 3 or 4 mind you. We used very small feathers and hooks (I cut and modified Mackerel ones MacGyver/A-Team Style) and they seemed to work well.

Then it went quiet and we caught a load of small Whiting and small cod on even smaller hooks with bait, all thrown back. I did see another guy (you know the type) catching really small fish and keeping them (p:sses me off to see :mad:) as some of them were 3-4 inches long!

Anyway, we had great crack and plan to go back in a few weeks time when it is a bit colder for the Herring ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Hi Lads,
    I managed to get out to Dun Laoghaire (West Pier) on Sunday for a few hours with a friend of mine and we managed to catch a few herring, only 3 or 4 mind you. We used very small feathers and hooks (I cut and modified Mackerel ones MacGyver/A-Team Style) and they seemed to work well.

Then it went quiet and we caught a load of small Whiting and small cod on even smaller hooks with bait, all thrown back. I did see another guy (you know the type) catching really small fish and keeping them (p:sses me off to see :mad:) as some of them were 3-4 inches long!

Anyway, we had great crack and plan to go back in a few weeks time when it is a bit colder for the Herring ;).

What bait did you use for the whiting and small cod? Did you fish on the bottom, or with float? Cheers.

Hi Zak Flaps,
    We switched over to size 10 hooks (coarse gear), about 8-10lb hook length, 2 oz weights and we had small pieces of Herring that we ledgered about 20-30 feet out,just of the bottom and the top of the rod was vibrating like mad, I would recommend a light coarse rod with a sensitive tip for best results, maybe a packet or two of sand eels cut into small pieces would be perfect too ;)

Some of the bigger whiting we caught were decent(ish) in size similar to a small size Mackerel, lots of really small fish will plague you if you don't mind too much!
    Hope this helps.
    Smashiner.

Hi Zak Flaps,
    We switched over to size 10 hooks (coarse gear), about 8-10lb hook length, 2 oz weights and we had small pieces of Herring that we ledgered about 20-30 feet out,just of the bottom and the top of the rod was vibrating like mad, I would recommend a light coarse rod with a sensitive tip for best results, maybe a packet or two of sand eels cut into small pieces would be perfect too ;)

Some of the bigger whiting we caught were decent(ish) in size similar to a small size Mackerel, lots of really small fish will plague you if you don't mind too much!
    Hope this helps.
    Smashiner.

Thanks smashiner. Will give that a go when I get time!

• Advertisement

Was at the red light house yesterday. Got some cracking mackerel best I had this year. A few herring knocking about and lots of small pollack. Should have tuck a few pics of the mackerel were some massive one in it. All these were caught about 5m from the rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

Brianmeath wrote: »
    Was at the red light house yesterday. Got some cracking mackerel best I had this year. A few herring knocking about and lots of small pollack. Should have tuck a few pics of the mackerel were some massive one in it. All these were caught about 5m from the rocks.

where is the red light house exactly ?

robinwing wrote: »
    where is the red light house exactly ?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poolbeg_Lighthouse

fished bray tonight 6-8pm plenty of whiting with a few big 1s being caught and two small plaice, all returned to fight another day, used peeler, mackerel, rag but calamari seemed to work best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

gumpy2 wrote: »
    fished bray tonight 6-8pm plenty of whiting with a few big 1s being caught and two small plaice, all returned to fight another day, used peeler, mackerel, rag but calamari seemed to work best :)

Gotta say I find Bray brutal, I've only ever caught small fry. Fished Bray three days running in the summer, biggest waste of time. Think I managed to get one decent thump.

I did catch two sea bass in late September, but I fished the beach. I've never actually seen anyone fish the beach? It was 7:00 in the morning, surf on it's way in. Was just using up bait and didn't expect to catch squat, bang bang! Awesome mornings haul.

I'd like to know if anyone has caught anything of size on the pier in recent years?

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Gotta say I find Bray brutal, I've only ever caught small fry. Fished Bray three days running in the summer, biggest waste of time. Think I managed to get one decent thump.

I did catch two sea bass in late September, but I fished the beach. I've never actually seen anyone fish the beach? It was 7:00 in the morning, surf on it's way in. Was just using up bait and didn't expect to catch squat, bang bang! Awesome mornings haul.

I'd like to know if anyone has caught anything of size on the pier in recent years?

over the past 4 weeks iv fished bray pier 5 times, 3 times in the day and nothing , but at night on an incoming tide it can be quite productive, whiting the other night were not all tiny some over the 25cm mark,

but as you have said ,id also like to hear of other catches there,

killiney beach has been good to me all summer, but with the cold bray is handy, drive down, set up, lines out and sit in the car if weathers very bad :)

I've not fished there at night, might give it a try sometime. It's a shame about the fishing as it's the closest to me. Only managed to fish Killiney once this year in early October, scorcher of a Saturday. Plenty of action and a lovely day had, the mackerel were off the chart. Went back the following week to weed wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Anyone try spinning at Mornington lately?

fished kiliney tonight from 10;30pm-11;45pm

Bait: lug, squid and peeler

Result: 2 whiting and 2 small flaties

not bad in just over an hour, a good few lads out and all seemed to be catching

Anybody catching any decent size codling yet or anything of intrest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Anybody catching anything anywhere about the Dublin area lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Anybody catching anything anywhere about the Dublin area lately?

Plenty of whiting in Bray, but all in around 15 cm mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BeautyHQ

i've been up in Balscaddenbay in howth and i've caught dogfish,pollock,small ling,whiting and even a small codling(1 1/2 ibs). the east pier throws up pretty much the same.the baits were lug/rag worm and some whitefish(hake and cod) offcuts from the kitchen. most of my fishing is done two hours before and after high tides...would love some big cod....

BeautyHQ wrote: »
    i've been up in Balscaddenbay in howth and i've caught dogfish,pollock,small ling,whiting and even a small codling(1 1/2 ibs). the east pier throws up pretty much the same.the baits were lug/rag worm and some whitefish(hake and cod) offcuts from the kitchen. most of my fishing is done two hours before and after high tides...would love some big cod....[/QUOTE

Hi. I'm new to sea fishing(did freshwater as a kid). I'm not far from howth. What method do you use? Do you fish the bottom with a weight? Can you buy lug/rag in howth?
    Thanks.

Zak Flaps:

Hi. I'm new to sea fishing(did freshwater as a kid). I'm not far from howth. What method do you use? Do you fish the bottom with a weight? Can you buy lug/rag in howth?
    Thanks.

i usually use a pulley rig with two hooks,1 bait(pennel rig). 15/20lb main line,50lb shock leader.12ft rod and a 5oz impact lead. the bait is presented about 4 ft off the sea bed. as for rag worm?-the esturys in sutton and baldoyle/portmarnock are good. lug can be dug on sandymount strand or bought in Rory's in templebar. good luck. oh yeah,i fish at night whenever possible two or three hours each side of the high tide.

BeautyHQ wrote: »
    Zak Flaps:

Thanks.

i usually use a pulley rig with two hooks,1 bait(pennel rig). 15/20lb main line,50lb shock leader.12ft rod and a 5oz impact lead. the bait is presented about 4 ft off the sea bed. as for rag worm?-the esturys in sutton and baldoyle/portmarnock are good. lug can be dug on sandymount strand or bought in Rory's in templebar. good luck. oh yeah,i fish at night whenever possible two or three hours each side of the high tide.

Thanks a million. Not sure what all of that means but that's what Google is for isn't it!!!!!

By the way, is the fishing best at night?

yep!

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    By the way, is the fishing best at night?

Go on to Youtube Mr.Flaps, check out TAfishing. Beach fishing for beginners in 4 parts, I'd recommend watching all the videos though, very addictive. Plus I've learned tons.

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Go on to Youtube Mr.Flaps, check out TAfishing. Beach fishing for beginners in 4 parts, I'd recommend watching all the videos though, very addictive. Plus I've learned tons.

Thanks sugarlumps. Had a look at some clips and have picked up some tips already!!

Advertisement