Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike fishing river barrow advise

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

ady 001 wrote: »
    Maggots are ban on a lot of trout waters, by clubs & fishery owner, mainly because they tend to lead to very deeply hook trout & lots of fish fatally.

The local clubs on the “upper parts” of the river Barrow, Mountmellick, Portarlington & Monasterevin all have in there club rules a ban on the uses of maggots, to help protect the wild trout stocks.

As this part of the Barrow is mainly only trout, with not much in way of coarse fishing, very vary few pike & with no coarse fish, till the dace came up river a few years ago. Also why fishing on Mountmellick, Portarlington clubs waters, out side of the trout season is frowned upon, (too allow trout & salmon spawn without fishing pressure).

You can use maggots on other parts of the river for coarse fishing. Its from down stream of Monasterevin, that the Barrow, only starts to be a good coarse fishery, thus from there a “all year around fishery”.

Very well said .

• Registered Users Posts: 21 flyfish anywhere

Anyone know if there's much club water between Goresbridge and Graiguenamanagh or is it free to fish? Also is the pike fishing good along this piece of water?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

Anyone know if there's much club water between Goresbridge and Graiguenamanagh or is it free to fish? Also is the pike fishing good along this piece of water?

Thanks in advance!

In the club in graig so I do a fair bit of fishing ,permits only cost a fiver and can be got in Doyle's pub,go down past the 1st Lough in graig and you'll have good sport ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Had two lads from the fisheries board down with me while I was fishing in carlow town itself a few weeks ago.they said its ok within the town to fish but you have to put them back...anyone else find the barrow fishing poor lately? Have been down four or five times and not even a bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

i found down at the park bad a bit of life but nothing to write home about talking to one of the local fisher men according to him since they put dace in its gone brutal at the park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

Wondering anyone been down on barrow lately. Gona head down friday bit pike fishing will it be worth my while?

Thanks

Seller159 wrote: »
    Wondering anyone been down on barrow lately. Gona head down friday bit pike fishing will it be worth my while?

Thanks

Was down this morning waters very high again was up a good 4 foot from Thursday though I got a nice jack pike there that day I suppose it depends will it rain In the next few days.

beano345 wrote: »
    Was down this morning waters very high again was up a good 4 foot from Thursday though I got a nice jack pike there that day I suppose it depends will it rain In the next few days.

Oh really so its kind of a gamble then but there are defo pike there is there is?

Seller159 wrote: »
    Oh really so its kind of a gamble then but there are defo pike there is there is?

They are,try find a spot were the waters not moving too fast,I wasn't even going to try for pike that morning only I foul hooked a dace and nothing was biting with maggots or worms,the dace deadbait only hit the water and he nailed it!

beano345 wrote: »
    They are,try find a spot were the waters not moving too fast,I wasn't even going to try for pike that morning only I foul hooked a dace and nothing was biting with maggots or worms,the dace deadbait only hit the water and he nailed it!

Will do man. And really that was nice wasnt it. What dead bait would be best to get?

Think i have trout and mackerel in frezzer ill have to check. What about lures any look with them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement