Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike fishing river barrow advise

Options
  • 28-10-2013 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Me and a friend of mine are thinking of heading down the river barrow for same pike fishing.

Iv never been there before and was just wondering is it any good for pike ect?

If anyone has been there or knows the area could they let me know and also give advise on the area that be great.

Thanks alot for looking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bencarvosso

from reports I heard this weekend, it is high and dirty, and will prob get worse this week with forecast rain...
    keep an eye on the weather but I would wait until it is fining down and you could have some great sport, maybe fish a lake in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Was there today really high water :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bencarvosso

the canal stretches may be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

from reports I heard this weekend, it is high and dirty, and will prob get worse this week with forecast rain...
    keep an eye on the weather but I would wait until it is fining down and you could have some great sport, maybe fish a lake in the meantime

Is it really. I was thinkinh water might be quite dirty because of weather lately so want to get some advise on before heading the hole way down you know and it be a waste of time?

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    Was there today really high water :(

Did you get anything atall?

• Advertisement

Just a cold lol:) didnt stay out to long

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

What stretch of the barrow are you fishing may I ask .Is the barrow not closed or is it certain stretches that are open ,cheers .

Ha ha yeah i know the feeling catch them alot me self lol. How long you stay out for on te river?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

I stopped off briefly around Milford on Suday for 15-20 mins, but knew i shouldn't have bothered, river was running high, fast and very coloured. Had an itch and even going for those few mins helped me a bit :D

madred006 wrote: »
    What stretch of the barrow are you fishing may I ask .Is the barrow not closed or is it certain stretches that are open ,cheers .

I fish it all year round and also as per to IFI website
    "The Barrow is an all year round fishery"

Up near the back of the Dolmen nice stretch of river there stayed about 2 hours was planning on going up today but plans changed might head up tomorrow weather permitting

• Advertisement

breghall wrote: »
    I stopped off briefly around Milford on Suday for 15-20 mins, but knew i shouldn't have bothered, river was running high, fast and very coloured. Had an itch and even going for those few mins helped me a bit :D

I fish it all year round and also as per to IFI website
    "The Barrow is an all year round fishery"

Hi and thanks for reply , does that mean I could flyfish it for dace and pike all year round , as reason I ask is our local club has it as closed from sept to march 17 , thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Hi and thanks for reply , does that mean I could flyfish it for dace and pike all year round , as reason I ask is our local club has it as closed from sept to march 17 , thanks in advance

you would have fun explaining that you were targeting dace if you were caught fly fishing in the closed season on a river that has a stock of trout

you would have fun explaining that you were targeting dace if you were caught fly fishing in the closed season on a river that has a stock of trout

That's what I thought Frank so how can it be a year round fishery . I mean it's either year round or it's closed surely ,thanks .

From Murphs Fishing Site

The River Barrow is CLOSED for salmon fishing untill further notice.

The River Barrow is OPEN for trout fishing From 17/3/2014 Until 30/9/2014

The River Barrow is OPEN for course fishing all year round.

are you able to do all types of fishing in the barrow? do you need permit or anything like that?

Seller159 wrote: »
    are you able to do all types of fishing in the barrow? do you need permit or anything like that?

Yes you are but as mentioned above permits are required on parts of it ,and trout season is closed untill March 17th , but afaik coarse fishing is allowed .

ok great thanks good to know just in case lol

ok great thanks good to know just in case lol

Maggot fishing is banned on it also , just in case lol .

is it really how come? what about lures worms spinning ??

is it really how come? what about lures worms spinning ??

By law introduced sometime ago afaik can be deadly way to take fish out of a river and iv seen guys fishing for dace using them very productive . Spinning and worms are good no probs there .

• Advertisement

oh I didn't actually know that thanks for heads up. is it well that's good then I am more of a lure guy myself but will use bait too while I do some spinning or what ever:)

oh I didn't actually know that thanks for heads up. is it well that's good then I am more of a lure guy myself but will use bait too while I do some spinning or what ever:)

I'm not into the coarse side of it much but I think around athy can be good for pike .

I do all of it really I don't mind I like all fishing tbh.but my favourite would have to be lure fishing and spinning anything like that:). im gona be heading down athy soon when of work for a bit of pike been dying to get out there and do some pike fishing:)

are you not? I don't mind it I like all kinds of fishing tbh. but my favourite would have to be lures and spinning :) keeps me busy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Maggot fishing is banned on it also , just in case lol .

Are sure of this? It would be odd for a river known for its course fishing to have a ban maggots as bait.

Are sure of this? It would be odd for a river known for its course fishing to have a ban maggots as bait.

Well as far as possible yes it states on bottom of our licence that maggot fishing is banned on the barrow

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Well as far as possible yes it states on bottom of our licence that maggot fishing is banned on the barrow

Maggots are used to coarse fish on the barrow, the tackle shop in carlow town sells them even, doubt they'd do that if they were banned as there is no where else to fish in the area except on the barrow.

Post a pic of your licence up and I'll query it just to be sure.

Agree with what you say and they are for sale and fished on the barrow in monasterevin aswell will root out licence and put picture up , as I said afaik they are banned , we had incident on our club a few times this year . Whereby lads were using them to fish for dace and to great effect , and were asked to leave .Personally I didn't think they were doing any harm as they were taking the dace to fish for pike on lough ree .

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Agree with what you say and they are for sale and fished on the barrow in monasterevin aswell will root out licence and put picture up , as I said afaik they are banned , we had incident on our club a few times this year . Whereby lads were using them to fish for dace and to great effect , and were asked to leave .Personally I didn't think they were doing any harm as they were taking the dace to fish for pike on lough ree .

Yes, it is only with regards to tout fishing tho. There is no need for a license for coarse fishing apart from maybe a permit to fish a certain area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ady 001

Maggots are ban on a lot of trout waters, by clubs & fishery owner, mainly because they tend to lead to very deeply hook trout & lots of fish fatally.

The local clubs on the “upper parts” of the river Barrow, Mountmellick, Portarlington & Monasterevin all have in there club rules a ban on the uses of maggots, to help protect the wild trout stocks.

As this part of the Barrow is mainly only trout, with not much in way of coarse fishing, very vary few pike & with no coarse fish, till the dace came up river a few years ago. Also why fishing on Mountmellick, Portarlington clubs waters, out side of the trout season is frowned upon, (too allow trout & salmon spawn without fishing pressure).

You can use maggots on other parts of the river for coarse fishing. Its from down stream of Monasterevin, that the Barrow, only starts to be a good coarse fishery, thus from there a “all year around fishery”.

Advertisement