Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gabba: expensive luxury or a great jacket worth the money?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I was looking into one of these and found out that Castelli and Sportful are owned by the same company. Sportful make a jacket called the no rain Fiandre, that seems to be very similar to the Gabba. The sportful arm warmers and leg warmers seem to be cheaper too. can't find any deals on the jacket at the moment but might be another one to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ive a cycle from Galway to Athlone (100Km) Monday coming - Weather is promised 14 degrees, with a cloud/sun and maybe showers - Too warm to wear short sleeved Gabba with same arm warmers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Gonna drop this in here for the moment until I get the ok to start the winter kit thread.
    Verge Sports have developed their own version of the Gabba and will be fully printable and will more then likely be an option for the winter kit thread.
    Don't know a price yet but should know shortly!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

bcmf wrote: »
    Verge Sports have developed their own version of the Gabba and will be fully printable and will more then likely be an option for the winter kit thread.
    Don't know a price yet but should know shortly!

Drop me a line if you get a price. I'm in the market for a bulk rain jersey supplier as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Just got my Long Sleeve (Large) and its a little small for me.
    If anyones interested at cost (167 euro)
    Brand new with tags and receipt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Drop me a line if you get a price. I'm in the market for a bulk rain jersey supplier as well.

Will do. Drop me a pm with your email and I will forward it onto ya

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

mathie wrote: »
    6' 2", 38 inch chest ....
    Would people say L or XL?

Anyone with an L or XL care to comment on sizing?
    I'm 41 inch chest, 6 foot 2, 13 stone

thanks

Just got my Long Sleeve (Large) and its a little small for me.
    If anyones interested at cost (167 euro)
    Brand new with tags and receipt.

i'm not surprised if you added 3 inches to your chest in a week????

mossym wrote: »
    i'm not surprised if you added 3 inches to your chest in a week????

LOL!
    Yeah I assumed I was 40/41 until I got the measuring tape out.

I guess I'm not 6 foot 10 inches either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Heads up on www.competitivecyclist.com

They had a flat rate $50 international shipping charge which is absurd so i decided id chance my arm and use their live chat link to talk to someone. I basically asked was there any cheaper option available (expecting a no) and they replied asking what i thought was fair. I said $30 would be max id have excepted and low and behold he immediately agreed to a $30 shipping fee! Wish id said $10 now :P

So i managed to get the convertible jacket for $183.97 (about €140)! On route via UPS right now and due for next Monday, cant wait!

Oh and actually when i went back to actually order (i had to order at the full rate and he adjusted it on my order immediately) it jumped to $74.99! He still accepted the $30 fee

Mathie: Hi Trevor any chance of a reduced rate for shipping a jacket to Ireland? Currently shipping is $75 :) thanks Mathie

Trevor J.: Unfortunately at this time we're not able to discount international shipping rates.

I am the Lance Armstrong of customers.

• Advertisement

Sorry about that. I seem to have gotten very very lucky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Bambaata wrote: »
    Heads up on www.competitivecyclist.com

They had a flat rate $50 international shipping charge which is absurd so i decided id chance my arm and use their live chat link to talk to someone. I basically asked was there any cheaper option available (expecting a no) and they replied asking what i thought was fair. I said $30 would be max id have excepted and low and behold he immediately agreed to a $30 shipping fee! Wish id said $10 now :P

So i managed to get the convertible jacket for $183.97 (about €140)! On route via UPS right now and due for next Monday, cant wait!

Oh and actually when i went back to actually order (i had to order at the full rate and he adjusted it on my order immediately) it jumped to $74.99! He still accepted the $30 fee

What about customs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

nice price on the convertible bambaata, but if anyone is looking for the long sleeved i think the evans deal still come out a bit cheaper or roughly the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Has anyone done he 're-activation' in the dryer? Last night was torential and all but mine seem to soak through fairly completely. an previous proper wettings still leave the chest area dry but last night I was sodden....ansd this was coupled with the gabba gillet too.

richieg wrote: »
    What about customs?

Covered earlier in the thread -
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1882.html

"C. Consignments of Negligible Value
    Consignments not exceeding an intrinsic value of €150 may be imported from outside the EU without payment of Customs Duty. Intrinsic value is the value of the goods alone and does not include insurance and freight)."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Was out in Base2Race last night and they have the short sleeve Gabba for €190 but then a sticker on saying 20% off so brings it down to around €150. Seemed to be few sizes there and the yellow and black colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TiBoy

Will probably avoid the customs duty but get caught for VAT for value over 22 euros?

3. Consignments of Negligible Value
    Consignments not exceeding an intrinsic value of €150 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty. (Intrinsic value is the value of the goods alone, and does not include insurance and freight). Consignments not exceeding a total customs value of €22 may be imported without payment of VAT. (Customs value is the value of the goods plus insurance and freight (which includes postage costs (CIF value)). However, it should be noted in particular that there is no relief (from Customs Duty, VAT or Excise duty) under this negligible value provision for importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcohol products, perfumes or toilet waters irrespective of their value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Charlie69

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    Has anyone done he 're-activation' in the dryer? Last night was torential and all but mine seem to soak through fairly completely. an previous proper wettings still leave the chest area dry but last night I was sodden....ansd this was coupled with the gabba gillet too.

You only put it in the dryer after you've sprayed it with the waterproofing spray

Charlie69 wrote: »
    You only put it in the dryer after you've sprayed it with the waterproofing spray

What's the spray called ? Can it be got online ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Duty and VAT are two totally different thing's. Goods(items) over €22 incl cost of carriage from outside the EU are reckonable for VAT at the standard rate for the full invoice value ( the €22 limit does not apply)

If the consignment is shipped via UPS, they will supply Customs with an electronic manifest showing value of contents per declared value. Its quite likely you will have to pay VAT.

Let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

FWIW, I also ordered from that ebay store - no customs charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Plastik wrote: »
    FWIW, I also ordered from that ebay store - no customs charge.

Did it go by Post? Much greater chance of items passing through without customs charges that way.

Nice Jacket for the Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

I got the ss from retto and because I ordered the wrong size I ended up with the gabba 2 for the sale price of 124€.

Looks great: sizing is larger than expected. I had to exchange my XXL for an XL, so it's almost half way between euro and us sizing if anyone's still wondering.

jamesd wrote: »
    What's the spray called ? Can it be got online ?

Bump to this question - any know?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Ordered the gabba 1 long sleeved from competitive cyclist a fue weeks ago but got it posted to my sister in New York as it was free post in the US. She was sending a package last week and squeezed it in for me. I went for the large, I am 5'11" , 75 kg, it fits like a glove, room for a base layer or summer jersey inside. Great quality jersey. Worked out around €105. Bring on the rain! Will probably pick up nano flex bib tights to complete the water proof ninja look :)

I ordered it and the weather has been too nice to use it. Went for the ss and arm warmers route. It's definately us not euro sizing

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Dinging

I don’t need a Gabba convertible but I really wanted one after reading this thread but just could not justify paying the Euro price for one. I was lucky enough to spot one on a US site for $150.00 for an XL convertible. Bargain, I thought but how to get it back to Ireland without incurring postage and VAT at customs. I have a colleague working in California who was good enough to purchase it on my behalf as the site would not accept European credit card and I paid him by Paypal so I was half way there, I had the jacket now all I needed was to get it back to Ireland. We agreed to pass it on to whomever from the company was heading back to Ireland from the US so I would have a Gabba convertible for give or take €110.00, sweet. Unfortunately for me my colleague no longer works for the company after almost 6 years and his departure was let's say unplanned. Now he is not answering my emails or phone calls, or Facebook or LinkedIn requests. I am in contact through another colleague with this guy but still no jacket. Damn you Gabba, damn you. I never wanted you so much. My quest continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Managed to get a gabba long sleeve jersey on competitive cyclist for 97 dollars the other night they had it on sale and had it shipped to my mate in New York who's going to post it to me.

Can't wait to see what its like :-)

Dinging wrote: »
    I don’t need a Gabba convertible but I really wanted one after reading this thread but just could not justify paying the Euro price for one. I was lucky enough to spot one on a US site for $150.00 for an XL convertible. Bargain, I thought but how to get it back to Ireland without incurring postage and VAT at customs. I have a colleague working in California who was good enough to purchase it on my behalf as the site would not accept European credit card and I paid him by Paypal so I was half way there, I had the jacket now all I needed was to get it back to Ireland. We agreed to pass it on to whomever from the company was heading back to Ireland from the US so I would have a Gabba convertible for give or take €110.00, sweet. Unfortunately for me my colleague no longer works for the company after almost 6 years and his departure was let's say unplanned. Now he is not answering my emails or phone calls, or Facebook or LinkedIn requests. I am in contact through another colleague with this guy but still no jacket. Damn you Gabba, damn you. I never wanted you so much. My quest continues.

Try retto.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

It's been mostly too warm to wear mine this week so I've been wearing it into work and wearing a normal ss jersey home.
    It rained yesterday so it got good use in and out of work. Great fit and great jacket

Advertisement