Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gabba: expensive luxury or a great jacket worth the money?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Cant keep my eye off the Gabba even though I don't really need it! Question is short sleeve with nano flex arm warmers or long sleeve version?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Cant keep my eye off the Gabba even though I don't really need it! Question is short sleeve with nano flex arm warmers or long sleeve version?

for the temp ranges the gabba works in i'd be unlikely to go sleeveless at any stage of a cycle. meaning the arm warmers would stay on all the time, so would be pointless and the long sleeved made more sense to me. i get cold easy though.

only you can answer the question of what you want to use it for

mossym wrote: »
    for the temp ranges the gabba works in i'd be unlikely to go sleeveless at any stage of a cycle. meaning the arm warmers would stay on all the time, so would be pointless and the long sleeved made more sense to me. i get cold easy though.

only you can answer the question of what you want to use it for

I'm always cold so I would imagine that I would very rarely have the arm warmers off as well. Long sleeve it is then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I have it with the short sleeves and nano flex armwarmers, regret not getting the long sleeve one, when there is a cold wind, you notice the difference on your arms.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Had my long sleeve gabba on today, caught out in a right downpour but dry as a bone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm still a n00b here. I'm more familiar with hiking stuff rather than cycling clothing. What's the advantage of this sort of stuff? Durability? Practicality? Haven't done much cycling in the rain. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

have the gabba with the removable sleeves. best of both worlds.. rarely gone out though and taken off the sleeves. wore it warming up before donore yesterday.. some shock when i had to take it off

I'm still a n00b here. I'm more familiar with hiking stuff rather than cycling clothing. What's the advantage of this sort of stuff? Durability? Practicality? Haven't done much cycling in the rain. :pac:

Same as hiking stuff. Light warm waterproof windproof but still breathable

Ordered the Gabba!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I popped on my Gabba in the last week or so after not wearing it since early May, I've found the waterproof element is now pretty non existent. A bit frustrating... I've only washed it twice since getting it, and followed all the instructions from Castelli. Anyone know how to get it back? :o:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

I popped on my Gabba in the last week or so after not wearing it since early May, I've found the waterproof element is now pretty non existent. A bit frustrating... I've only washed it twice since getting it, and followed all the instructions from Castelli. Anyone know how to get it back? :o:(

I'm in the same boat. I've just washed it and when dry I'm going to give it 20mins tumble dry at low heat which is supposed to do the trick.

there are also waterproofing solutions you can get, bottle of liquid you add to the washing machine which work. not sure castelli recommend any of them thouhg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

there are also waterproofing solutions you can get, bottle of liquid you add to the washing machine which work. not sure castelli recommend any of them thouhg

Cool I think I'll give something like that a go!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I use Nikwax stuff two or three times a year for hiking gear. Might be what mossym means.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/index.php

I use Nikwax stuff two or three times a year for hiking gear. Might be what mossym means.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/index.php

hadn't any particular brands in mind, i looked it up previously and there seemed to be a few different products, so if you have good experiences with that one it might be a good choice

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Have been following this thread and the Gabba for quite a while but haven't purchased yet.

Wiggle now have the Gabba 2 LS marked as no longer available, they won't be getting more stock.
    I may be reading too much into it but there has definitely been a price drop in the last month, I suspect that there will be a refresh coming up soon.
    The original Gabba was out for 4 years before the Gabba 2 showed up. Castelli may be about to release a Gabba 3 or maybe just new colors of the Gabba 2 for 2016.

In any case, I was planning on getting the blue version so I'm getting closer to picking one up now.

There have been a few posts in this thread recently that have made me second guess it though.

If it looses it's waterproofing after a couple of washes and needs to be re proofed regularly I probably won't bother.
    Have a lot of you noticed the waterproofing fading after just a few washes?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭park500

They are not waterproof jackets. They have a windproof lining in the front panel only.
    The surface is water resistant but you will get wet if it is raining.
    The gabba is an excellent jacket for windy,cold conditions but if its raining an extra waterproof shell is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

hadn't any particular brands in mind, i looked it up previously and there seemed to be a few different products, so if you have good experiences with that one it might be a good choice

Dont put Nikwax near your Gabba, it is a wax that you apply to waxed cotton jackets such as the Barbour range of outdoor jackets - I'd suspect it will make a right mess of the Gabba......

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Dont put Nikwax near your Gabba, it is a wax that you apply to waxed cotton jackets such as the Barbour range of outdoor jackets - I'd suspect it will make a right mess of the Gabba......

Nikwax do a range of products.

I have a Gabba. Rain does get through it over a few hours but like wool, it still insulates when wet so you dont chill. I plan to reproof it with a wash in product once it loses its ability to bead off surface water.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

i didn't look at what he posted, but yeah if it's wax based it's NOT what i meant.

the ones i meant are liquids, you add them to the washing machine when washing. definitely not wax based

• Advertisement

TheTubes wrote: »
    Have been following this thread and the Gabba for quite a while but haven't purchased yet.

Wiggle now have the Gabba 2 LS marked as no longer available, they won't be getting more stock.
    I may be reading too much into it but there has definitely been a price drop in the last month, I suspect that there will be a refresh coming up soon.
    The original Gabba was out for 4 years before the Gabba 2 showed up. Castelli may be about to release a Gabba 3 or maybe just new colors of the Gabba 2 for 2016.

In any case, I was planning on getting the blue version so I'm getting closer to picking one up now.

There have been a few posts in this thread recently that have made me second guess it though.

If it looses it's waterproofing after a couple of washes and needs to be re proofed regularly I probably won't bother.
    Have a lot of you noticed the waterproofing fading after just a few washes?

Mine lost its waterproofing after maybe three or four washes but more significantly I think, after four or five real heavy drenchings in wet conditions. I tumble dried it for twenty minutes the other day and light rain was beading again that evening. I'd agree with the poster who said it is good for cold windy conditions and light rain showers. In future, during anything heavy I'd actually put a waterproof jacket or shell over it.

It is REALLY good in those cold windy conditions though. I have the short-sleeve and I can really feel the different levels of windproofing between the gabba and my arms which would be covered by a longsleeve base layer and fairly cheap arm warmers. A lot of people pair the gabba with nanoflex warmers.

RB

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

About to get one of these for my birthday. My chest size is 38-39" and waist about 32". Anyone know would I be better of with the medium or the large?

coach22 wrote: »
    About to get one of these for my birthday. My chest size is 38-39" and waist about 32". Anyone know would I be better of with the medium or the large?

that's roughly my sizes too(32 waist is big on me), and a large allows me to get a couple of tight base layers under. could wear a medium i'd guess but would be tight.

that's roughly my sizes too(32 waist is big on me), and a large allows me to get a couple of tight base layers under. could wear a medium i'd guess but would be tight.

thanks. was going to go for the large but just wanted to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

I'm seriously thinking about getting one too. Have you looked around for best prices?

What's a good waterproof top to wear over it on the really wet days? I bought an Altura jacket which was posted on the bargins thread about 18 months ago or so and I sweat a lot in it. Not exactly waterproof either.

It's €165 on Swim Cycle Run. Is that what I can expect to have to pay?
    http://www.swimcyclerun.com/cycle-jerseys-tops/castelli-gabba-long-sleeve-jersey.html

It's available on Evans in size medium and Sprint Green colour for 98 GBP
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/castelli/gabba-2-long-sleeve-wind-rain-jersey-ec067225#features

why wear a gabba and then put waterproof layers over it? if you're putting on a waterproof, you can put on a normal long sleeve jersey,a base layer, and be just as warm. with the gabba, you're putting a waterproofing layer over something designed to be breathable while offering rain protection, kind of defeats the whole purpose.

if you want a decent waterproof jacket the sportful hot pack no rain gets my vote, had mine one when the heavens opened on me yesterday and it was superb

thanks. was going to go for the large but just wanted to be sure.

+1. I'm a 38 chest and 32 waist and the L is a good fit.

Rb

G1032 wrote: »
    I'm seriously thinking about getting one too. Have you looked around for best prices?

I did look around and I think I found some good deals on a site called retto.co.uk http://retto.co.uk/cycling/fasts/castelli%20gabba.aspx

Think they are spanish based. Haven't used them before so cant comment on how reliable they are

I just ordered the convertible version for €175 all in including delviery to Parcell Motel up north. Should be with me between 8-13th of August

They have the blue longsleeve version for €125, black €143

Delivery times on these did not suit me though. Seems to be cheaper and quicker to get it delivered to Parcel Motel in UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

why wear a gabba and then put waterproof layers over it? if you're putting on a waterproof, you can put on a normal long sleeve jersey,a base layer, and be just as warm. with the gabba, you're putting a waterproofing layer over something designed to be breathable while offering rain protection, kind of defeats the whole purpose.

if you want a decent waterproof jacket the sportful hot pack no rain gets my vote, had mine one when the heavens opened on me yesterday and it was superb

Righteo! Makes sense. I just saw a couple of posts here saying you'd want an extra waterproof layer for very heavy rain.

Advertisement