Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Climote heating / hot water control

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

Has anybody tried the Texton SMS Heating Controls? http://texton.ie

For €150 it's way cheaper than the Electic Ireland controller and no annual fee.

I want to buy it but would like some feedback from people that are using it already. :D

says that it cant be used with a 3 network sim card

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    says that it cant be used with a 3 network sim card
    I got a free Sim Card from Tesco's recently - they use the O2 network so that should work fine with the Texton yoke. But I'm struggling to find much feedback from people who use the Texton controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

That looks very interesting indeed, just not sure if you have to install it yourself, or they will do it?

I think you have to install it yourself - which in my case means getting an electrian to install it.... another cost to keep in mind I supppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bootser

Hi all, has anybody looked at the homebot website or tried their version of home automation?, its much more expandable than anything else I've seen. I'd be interested in anyone else's feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Texton is a neat little system. It has pretty much the same functionality as the Climote yet is a lot cheaper and also no annual fee.
    Climote is just a glorified on/off switch for your boiler, a step up from your standard boiler controller.

If people want real control over the heating in the home, then the likes of Heat Miser or Radeco are worth looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭randombar

So the self build is on for the next 3 days in Millstreet, I wonder if they're running the same offer there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Seems like you can get a grant of €400 for Heating Controls Upgrade from SEAI
    So maybe the OWL system is the most affordable and possibly the most advanced that I can see that has no annual fee.
    Pretty much plug n play too (needs to be installed by registered person to get the grant)
    As clancger posted above a comprehensive 2 zone + hot water + energy monitor can be gotten for €580 and if you add in a few thermostatic radiator valves I am sure with the grant you could get it all done for no more then €300 cost to yourself.
    I am seriously looking at this but might hold off till next winter as I have just done some home improvements so smashed at the moment
    BTW I have no affiliation with OWL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

excuse my ignorance but if there doesn't seem to be a replacement for my existing timer under my boiler that I currently use, with the owl system

Neither the Owl or Climote are eligible for grant support from SEAI.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Neither the Owl or Climote are eligible for grant support from SEAI.

How come?

• Advertisement

The Climote counts as an approved measure for energy suppliers to claim energy saving credits towards their 2020 energy efficiency targets but the Owl doesn't.
    Also, the grant for heating controls only applies to measures that include a complete retrofit including TRVs and a boiler controller along with separate zones for upstairs, downstairs and hot water enabled.
    They also need to be installed by an SEAI Better Energy approved installer.
    Add all this to the mix and you're looking at well over a grand before the grant is applied.

EDIT: apologies, you've already stated all of that above! Yeah it might very well be eligible for the grant but only if you use the Climote. I was thinking of just the Climote or Owl on their own. Best to check with SEAI first though. The Owl manufacturers haven't gone through the process of getting the Owl approved as a measure with SEAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,341 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's 15% off heatmisers new controller if you register your interest
    http://neo.heatmiser.com

Looks good with no reoccurring costs and these guys have plenty if experience with controllers

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Hi
    Just about to install a Systemlex unit to control a Systemlink unit and I would very much like to install a remote controller...The Climot looks like it may work but it is a rip-off pricewise and annuall fee (I don't want to be paying the esb pension setup!) or can the Heatmiser mentioned by ted1 do the same job?. Advice appreciated!!

I am liking the looks of LightwaveRF

Maybe not as complete in the heating department and boiler control but it looks the part and is well priced I think - it has potential and looks like there are individual TRVs coming out soon that will allow control of each rooms rad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Guys,

I recently installed an OWL monitor to try and get on top of my €300 a month Electric bill which is working well so far in terms of making us (my kids!!!) far more aware of the impact of leaving down lighters on, using the tumble dryer when there is free wind outside etc and having turned my attention to our equally outrageous heating bill (natural gas) I came across this thread.

Having read the whole thread so far I'm intrigued by both Radeco multi-zoning http://www.radeco.ie/multi-zoning which they explain very well on their website and LightwaveRf http://www.lightwaverf.com which looks like it could be an even more comprehensive system. Am I correct in my underatanding that the Radeco system could help minimize the cost of heating the house and the LightwaveRF system could minimize the amount of electricity used throughout the house?

I can't build my own controllers like some of the impressive early posts and I certainly don't want to pay the ESB an annual fee for a remote control on/off switch although the idea of having smart controls via our phones (all off master switch etc) is very appealing.

Has anyone here got any direct experience of the Radeco and LightwaveRf systems? Do they do what they say on the tin? Were they expensive to install?

Is The Nest https://nest.com/thermostat/life-with-nest-thermostat something that's relevant or is it US specific only? What can it do that the Radeco system can't do?

Cheers,

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

BenThere wrote: »
    Guys,

I recently installed an OWL monitor to try and get on top of my €300 a month Electric bill which is working well so far in terms of making us (my kids!!!) far more aware of the impact of leaving down lighters on, using the tumble dryer when there is free wind outside etc and having turned my attention to our equally outrageous heating bill (natural gas) I came across this thread.

Having read the whole thread so far I'm intrigued by both Radeco multi-zoning http://www.radeco.ie/multi-zoning which they explain very well on their website and LightwaveRf http://www.lightwaverf.com which looks like it could be an even more comprehensive system. Am I correct in my underatanding that the Radeco system could help minimize the cost of heating the house and the LightwaveRF system could minimize the amount of electricity used throughout the house?

I can't build my own controllers like some of the impressive early posts and I certainly don't want to pay the ESB an annual fee for a remote control on/off switch although the idea of having smart controls via our phones (all off master switch etc) is very appealing.

Has anyone here got any direct experience of the Radeco and LightwaveRf systems? Do they do what they say on the tin? Were they expensive to install?

Is The Nest https://nest.com/thermostat/life-with-nest-thermostat something that's relevant or is it US specific only? What can it do that the Radeco system can't do?

Cheers,

Ben

Nest is 24v so you'll have to drive a contactor or something off it i'd say for most irish heating equipment bar air sourced stuff.

Radeco, let me see my house has 16 radiators thats 16 giant ugly wireless trvs - 1600 euro + at least 34 AA batteries 'per heating season' + 16 headless trvs if you don't have them already + ccu + boiler control + hot water control + gsm module . Feck off. I'd be a lot better off spending 3k on insulation.

Ff you want to go wireless trv route there are lots of options - these trv are less than half the price and much neater. http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/hardware/eq-3-max-affordable-wireless-heating-control-with-your-smartphone-or-raspberry-pi.html

Bonkers.ie should be your first port of call to reducing the gas and electricity bill, and look at replacing the downlighteers with LEDS or eliminating them and turn down the thermostat.

moodrater wrote: »
    Bonkers.ie should be your first port of call to reducing the gas and electricity bill, and look at replacing the downlighteers with LEDS or eliminating them and turn down the thermostat.

Thanks Moodrater, I'm in the process of replacing the 58 (I counted them) downlighters in my house and the Owl has helped us become much more tuned in to what eats electricity.

I do need to switch my electric and gas supplier as the one year deals I currently have with Airtricity and Flogas and that Bonkers is the place to find out where the best deals are currently.

Ben

Radeco, let me see my house has 16 radiators thats 16 giant ugly wireless trvs - 1600 euro + at least 34 AA batteries 'per heating season' + 16 headless trvs if you don't have them already + ccu + boiler control + hot water control + gsm module . Feck off. I'd be a lot better off spending 3k on insulation.[/url]

Moodrater,

I'm definitely not paying that much for the pleasure of changing 34 AA batteries several times a year - major pain in the ar$e!!

My heating/gas bill is about €1,200 a year (I think) so if I did save 30% PA that would be €360 which means the ROI on the Radeco system you outlined would be +/- 9 years. Not very compelling.

Ben

Just switched to Airtricity and I think we are in line to save about €250 in year 1. With an annual bill of approx €2400 for electricity and gas its not a bad start. We have just zoned our house (2 heating areas and 1 hot water) so now it’s a lot more controllable.

We also got a free Airtricity energy monitor and that’s good for making you aware of what is guzzeling electricity in the house. After that I will shop around again and see if I can get another deal.

Have been seriously looking and smartifying the house now for a while and looking at different tech. it’s a bit mind boggeling to say the least. Here is my take on it so far

LightwaveRF – looks good, affordable, scalable, easy to retro fit and UK based so should suit our needs
    SmartThings – only getting started really but is compatible with Z-Wave, Zigbee and Wi-Fi protocols and equipment so looks like it will be great. However seems to be only US at the moment so we need to wait a while before anything appears here. It may even work out that the LightwaveRF stuff is compatible with this.
    Archos – just announced some smart stuff (which works on Bluetooth LE) for the home but will wait to see what pans out before I judge it plus I dont see any heating controls (I have an Archos internet radio at home and its a great bit of kit but build quality is poor)
    Nest – Google bought Nest last night so that might kick start this in to the mainstream and hopefully more products will follow. With integration of Google Now and voice activated commands this looks like it will be exiting times ahead and things like NFC activated door locks can’t be far away from the big G

I am looking forward to trying to get the house smartified and to be able to hopefully reduce bills and to be honest I just want to be able to do cool stuff like turn on the outside lights from my sunbed whilst on holidays or to be able to use a motion sensitive camera to show me who is at the front door!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

You won't be long with Airtricity. Worst provider in the Irish market.

Hi tui0hcg,

I too really like the look of the LightwaveRF system but just quickly looking at the cost of sockets and light switches I can see how a house conversion could quickly get very expensive. A 2 gang wall socket is £30 and a 2 gang Light Dimmer Switch is £40. I remember from renovating my house a few years ago that there were 12 sockets in my sons bedroom alone and a total of 11 light switches upstairs. Multiply that out for the whole house and I'd say you'd be looking at 70 sockets and 25 light switches in total. To buy they'd be circa £2,500 and that's not including sensors, the wi-fi control units or installation.

At a very rough guess I'd say I'd be looking at very little change out of €5,000. There would have to be some very significant REAL energy savings to justify that, cool and all as it would be to turn the kettle on from the office on your way home from work!!!

Ben

rovoagho wrote: »

I'm with them at the moment and can't say I noticed much difference when I switched over from Electric Ireland last year but then again maybe I'm just not noticing things I should be noticing.

In what way are Airtricity worse than Electric Ireland or Bord Gais? Other than supplying electricity to your home and providing accurate bills what else are they supposed to be doing?

Ben

+1 for airtricity
    The renewed my discount when I phoned them rather than me having to do the annual change electricity provider merrigoround. They have been very efficient and helpful when signing up, ordering a new meter, querying tarriffs. And I like their online billing and usage graphs and their reminder email to submit a meter reading means no shock bills anymore. Their estimated usage is far more accurate than bord gais or electric ireland. That said I'd drop them as soon as a better deal comes along. I'm sure energia will have some kind of an introductory enticement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,341 ✭✭✭✭ted1

tui0hcg wrote: »
    We have just zoned our house (2 heating areas and 1 hot water) so now it’s a lot more controllable.

what had you, and how much was it to zone it?

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi tui0hcg,

I too really like the look of the LightwaveRF system but just quickly looking at the cost of sockets and light switches I can see how a house conversion could quickly get very expensive. A 2 gang wall socket is £30 and a 2 gang Light Dimmer Switch is £40. I remember from renovating my house a few years ago that there were 12 sockets in my sons bedroom alone and a total of 11 light switches upstairs. Multiply that out for the whole house and I'd say you'd be looking at 70 sockets and 25 light switches in total. To buy they'd be circa £2,500 and that's not including sensors, the wi-fi control units or installation.

At a very rough guess I'd say I'd be looking at very little change out of €5,000. There would have to be some very significant REAL energy savings to justify that, cool and all as it would be to turn the kettle on from the office on your way home from work!!!

Ben

Agree its not going to be peanuts but if you go to a hardware store to buy a 2 gang dimmer its going to be €15-€20 for a basic dumb white crappy looking one. Its going to be a case of pick one room at a time to upgrade or pick a few important items to get you going and do it on a staged basis.
    BTW - 12 sockets in a bedroom...it must be massive (we have 4 double sockets and 1 tv socket high up on the wall in our master bedroom!!)
    rovoagho wrote: »

I have had no issues - they are cheaper than my previous supplier, sent me a free energy monitor (worth €40-€50) free meter box key sent to me also, the website and meter reading reminders are great, the budget monthly payments option is a much better way to budget, they have been very helpful on any questions I had and the switch was painless
    I am not sure where you came up with that statement but I have proof to contradict it anyway
    ted1 wrote: »
    what had you, and how much was it to zone it?

We had 1 zone across 3 floors of rooms and water heating all on 1 switch so it was all or nothing.
    Now we have
    Zone 1 - all rooms downstairs (open plan kitchen/diner, Lounge, Playroom etc)
    Zone 2 - All bedrooms (x4) between 2 upstairs floors
    Water Zone - separate water heater (before we had to switch on the heating to get hot water as the electric immersion was broken - plus it cost a fortune to use it)

We had the work done during a kitchen refit but roughly came in at about €550 (we didnt go for a SEAI grant but we would have qualified but the builder was not an approved installer for SEAI and we would have had to wait 6 weeks to get an approved person to complete the work - also the cost was a bit more for the SEAI fit out so we went for the local builder to complete the work)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

+1 for airtricity
    The renewed my discount when I phoned them rather than me having to do the annual change electricity provider merrigoround. They have been very efficient and helpful when signing up, ordering a new meter, querying tarriffs. And I like their online billing and usage graphs and their reminder email to submit a meter reading means no shock bills anymore. Their estimated usage is far more accurate than bord gais or electric ireland. That said I'd drop them as soon as a better deal comes along. I'm sure energia will have some kind of an introductory enticement.

electric ireland are cheaper with all discounts applied and even with the newer daily rates. Can airtricity beat that?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

Just a bit of feedback on one of the options in this area. I went for Tado at a one of cost of 299 and had a mate who is a sparks fit it although there is a very good video on the taco web site.

I went for it because it's German and it does not rely on me to do much other than leave my GPS and web enabled on my phone. In place six weeks and I'm happy out, I wake to a warm house, it detects when I've left and turns my heat off and when I leave the office in the evening, it checks the traffic to see how long it is going to take me to get home; it then checks the weather and by the time I get home, the house is cosy as anything. When I went away for a week, it turned the heating on each time the temp dropped below 5 degrees so no more worrying about frozen pipes etc. At any time, I can take control by clicking manual in the app or on the website but to date, I have had no need to manually operate at all.

If like me, you want something that works and something that requires you to do nothing, then Tado is your ideal purchase. If you want something additional to a heating control then some of the other options on this page may suit you better.

All the best

electric ireland are cheaper with all discounts applied and even with the newer daily rates. Can airtricity beat that?

According to the Bonkers site electric Ireland weren’t cheaper for my usage. Also they didn't offer any further incentives to stay when I told them that I was switching to another provider.

• Advertisement

Electric ireland per unit rates are higher with all the discounts applied, the standing charges are lower so you may save a few euro if you live in a 2 bedroom flat. For the average irish house airtricity will be cheaper. We're using a lot of night electricity as its about 20% cheaper than oil now so our saving are significant.

Electric Ireland Valuesaver direct debit & paperless billing
    day rate:0.1738 night rate:0.0917
    Standing Charge:
    24 Hour Urban:139.61
    24 Hour Rural:186.13
    Night Storage Heating:12.22

Airtricity Home Electricity Saver - 1 Year
    day rate:0.1674 night rate:0.885

Standing charge:
    Urban 24 hr 165.82
    Urban Nightsaver 213.20
    Rural 24 hr 208.16