Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortland Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It's great how relaxed the Kiwi's have gotten with swearing on TV, although I still tend to do a double take when someone on Shortland Street says "Sh*t", "D*ckhead" or threatens to give someone a boot in the "Arse" as its so unusual for a teatime soap. It's very common in episodes going out at the moment in New Zealand, but I do wonder how RTÉ will handle airing episodes once they catch up and it reaches the point where they start casually dropping these phrases in nearly every episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

They've had people "acting like a dick" in the Cooper household, at least that's what it sounded like to me.

Also, who in their right mind would give that insufferable airhead Bella a pa job??

washiskin wrote: »
    They've had people "acting like a dick" in the Cooper household, at least that's what it sounded like to me.

Also, who in their right mind would give that insufferable airhead Bella a pa job??

"Acting like a dick" is tame compared to some of the stuff they come out with these days in the New Zealand episodes - think RTÉ are about 4 years behind, so it could be a year or two yet before its even noticeable, but I think around the time the Hannah family (who are fantastic) come into it you'll start gradually noticing an increase in swearing.

I grew to like Bella as time went on - she's far from the best character, but far better than the rest of the Coopers anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I liked Bella when she was with Luke, then found her insufferable with Zlata who showed up with Luke's supposed child. Especially giving away almost all her inheritance to her!!
    Then I started to like her again, but now I'm back to finding her insufferable again.

What a rollercoaster of emotions. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Shortland Street is my guilty pleasure, I watch all the soaps but it’s always the first I watch when I get home from work.

• Advertisement

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Shortland Street is my guilty pleasure, I watch all the soaps but it’s always the first I watch when I get home from work.
    It's the only one I watch regularly!
    I only half heartedly dip in and out of the others on occasion.

I live in fear that RTE will decide to randomly stop showing it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Karl Urban, who plays Dr. McCoy in the current Star Trek films, starred in the soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I remember when it started on RTE, I was on shift work at the time, and liked the programme. My hours were changed after a few years, so I lost track. It seems very slick now compared to the early days.

The Extract 7 and Sarah storyline last week was great.

Really enjoying this lately.

Posy wrote: »
    The Extract 7 and Sarah storyline last week was great.

Really enjoying this lately.

Good old TK..... he even managed to make Saeah discovering a cure about himself. :rolleyes:

I used to really like his character, especially when he was with Harper, but lately .... meh...

• Advertisement

He has either been preachy, moody or angry for the last while.

Nice to see Dayna looking out for er younger brother

Remember when the theme song was sung during the closing credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

branie2 wrote: »
    Karl Urban, who plays Dr. McCoy in the current Star Trek films, starred in the soap.

Martin Henderson also started on it

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

branie2 wrote: »
    Remember when the theme song was sung during the closing credits?

i do think was it back in 01 or 02 when on rte 2 in the evening, anyway love shorty , evan now having an affair :eek:

I didn't think I could dislike a character more than I disliked Yvonne, but Wendy really takes the biscuit.

I don't think Dallas will get Bella back

Sound seemed strange in today's episode

The actor who plays Vinnie has died - RIP Pua

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The actor who plays Vinnie has died - RIP Pua

Sad news, he was only 38 and a father. Shortland Street is my guilty pleasure I record it every day and then binge watch a few weeks at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

poppy37 wrote: »
    Sad news, he was only 38 and a father. Shortland Street is my guilty pleasure I record it every day and then binge watch a few weeks at a time.

Very sad news, I watch most of the soaps but always go for Shortland Street first when I get home from work.

Thanks JP Liz, hadn't seen/heard this anywhere else.

How terrible. Poor Vinnie. :(:(

Posy wrote: »
    Thanks JP Liz, hadn't seen/heard this anywhere else.

How terrible. Poor Vinnie. :(:(

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7017351/Pua-Magasiva-starred-Power-Rangers-movies-New-Zealand-soap-Shortland-Street-dies-aged-38.html

Pua Magasiva (Vinnie) and Robbie Magasiva (Maxwell) brothers on screen and off screen

Rest In Peace, Pua. Very sad news.

Very sad ending today

I can't believe
    that Pixie died.
    What a load of crap. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

Just caught up now, that was a tough watch. The haka was spine tingling.

On a happier note I’m loving Drew, brilliant character.

Yes, he's great!
    And he started out as pretty dislikeable, so hopefully that means he won't turn out to be evil, like so many others. :pac:

The actor who plays TK never seems to move his left arm, he just holds it awkwardly at his side. Was the character injured in some way that I've forgotten, or is there something wrong with the actor?
    I don't want to google it, since I'm watching a soap that was shown in 2015, just wondered if anyone else noticed this. :pac:

Edit: I see they have worked it into the storyline, and now he has a sling!

• Advertisement

Murray will be on the warpath when he finds out what happened to his father.

Advertisement