Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanium in Ireland

Options
  • 25-10-2013 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm in the market for a new ride and have been considering the merits or otherwise of Titanium over Carbon for a larger man, mostly riding sportives/distance but possibly looking to do some vets racing. Anyone got any advice either way? Is there anyone stocking Ti bikes in Ireland in the 2-3k price range?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

and the first thing they will say to is You don't need a ti bike.:D

check out chainreaction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

and the first thing they will say to is You don't need a ti bike.:D

check out chainreaction.

Lies!

Everyone needs a Ti bike!

And a carbon bike, and a steel bike, and an aluminium bike, and a steel frame/carbon spine bike, and a wooden bike and an aluminium bike with carbon stays, and then another steel for touring, and well, you get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 musette

Chainreaction have some Ti frames but not complete bikes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

A few of us bought bikes here,
    http://www.enigmabikes.com/collections/road

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I have an Enigma Eclipse and have been happy with it. Planet X used to sell ti bikes too, and probably still do - they used to sell re-badged Lynskey frames I think, and then started selling re-badged Van Nicholas frames, I'm not sure what brand they sell now and whose stickers are on them.

I don't know if any Irish bike shops stock titanium bikes though. As to how ti compares with carbon, in my case my carbon frame is stiffer and gives the impression of more of my effort going directly into turning the wheels and moving the bike forward, but as to whether it really makes any measurable difference (at my level) in terms of performance I can't honestly say. My ti frame is very comfortable to ride and no doubt the flex contributes to that, I like riding it as much as my carbon bike though for slightly different reasons. I'd happily race on my ti bike if I didn't have my carbon one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭c50

titanium is useless for a big lad, its too brittle and this whole thing about it being the be all and end all is bogus.

fair enough, it holds its value twice as well as carbon ever will but it cracks so easily. very strong material Ti is of course, but because its so hard to weld it always cracks along the joint and youll usually get a common spot if you search it out on any particular brand/model. i would stay steer clear of litespeed completely, however if youre destined for a ti frame go for a place who have a good rap when it comes to customer service. van nicholas, enigma mentioned above and i believe parleé are good at accepting its not your fault when a frame cracks at this common weld spot.

do research on what grade ti it is as well. i used have a litespeed vortex which cracked on the common place, head tube in this case. no way would they replace and wanted me to pay full whack for repair. this model was the most brittle of of ti (think it was 6al 12v) and was not used by litespeed ever again after that model because it was so brittle, like glass almost.

if you want something rock solid, ive recently been looking at all these steel frames slowly creeping back into the market. itll never be as light as carbon but its super strong and has proved its worthiness. some madison genesis riders will be on a steel machine for 2014 and were for 2013 i think.
    i think peoples main problem with steel is they remember back to their first road steel bike and how much of a heavy load it was, but if you fire it up with new componentry itll be so smooth.

as far as i know theres an irish made steel bike company that might be worth googling but havent heard feedback or pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

Planet X wrote: »
    A few of us bought bikes here,
    http://www.enigmabikes.com/collections/road

+1 for enigma got an esprit frame last year and built it up myself and absolutly love it,it did have a problem with a weld that wasnt finished properly but they exchanged it for a new frame no questions asked so good customer service to

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

c50 wrote: »
    titanium is useless for a big lad, its too brittle and this whole thing about it being the be all and end all is bogus.

fair enough, it holds its value twice as well as carbon ever will but it cracks so easily. very strong material Ti is of course, but because its so hard to weld it always cracks along the joint and youll usually get a common spot if you search it out on any particular brand/model. i would stay steer clear of litespeed completely, however if youre destined for a ti frame go for a place who have a good rap when it comes to customer service. van nicholas, enigma mentioned above and i believe parleé are good at accepting its not your fault when a frame cracks at this common weld spot.

do research on what grade ti it is as well. i used have a litespeed vortex which cracked on the common place, head tube in this case. no way would they replace and wanted me to pay full whack for repair. this model was the most brittle of of ti (think it was 6al 12v) and was not used by litespeed ever again after that model because it was so brittle, like glass almost.

if you want something rock solid, ive recently been looking at all these steel frames slowly creeping back into the market. itll never be as light as carbon but its super strong and has proved its worthiness. some madison genesis riders will be on a steel machine for 2014 and were for 2013 i think.
    i think peoples main problem with steel is they remember back to their first road steel bike and how much of a heavy load it was, but if you fire it up with new componentry itll be so smooth.

as far as i know theres an irish made steel bike company that might be worth googling but havent heard feedback or pricing

have been riding a ti (lynskey planet x frame) for 5 years. no cracks - I weigh somewhere between 85-90kg depending on the season

ti frames are great; light comfortable and I find mine plenty stiff. expensive thought. Im sure you can get the same comfort levels in carbon.

IMO your experiences say more about Litespeed than anything else.

I witnessed a borrowed aluminium Litespeed being ridden by a heavy rider, it flexed all over the place. He had to descend at about half speed.

I've also seen a (different) alu Litespeed with a massive crack at the bottom bracket junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Lumen wrote: »
    IMO your experiences say more about Litespeed than anything else.

I witnessed a borrowed aluminium Litespeed being ridden by a heavy rider, it flexed all over the place. He had to descend at about half speed.

I've also seen a (different) alu Litespeed with a massive crack at the bottom bracket junction.

I had a litespeed vortex and I had only good experiences with it. I definitely regret selling it. I would definitely like to buy another one but they remain very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

ti makes for a lovely cruising bike...extremely comfortable but i wouldnt say highly responsive..
    i have a colnago titanio lux (ct1) and you could ride it all day ...soaks up the heavyness of irish roads...carbon rear stays probably help here too.
    but that said its not the most responsive power wise..carbon wins there
    i liken it to a plush steel bike..
    from what ive seen if one can afford a seven or a parlee they are the best ti out there...real care and attention into sizing, manufacture and finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

musette wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a new ride and have been considering the merits or otherwise of Titanium over Carbon for a larger man, mostly riding sportives/distance but possibly looking to do some vets racing. Anyone got any advice either way? Is there anyone stocking Ti bikes in Ireland in the 2-3k price range?

what size frame do you use? i know where there is a brand new enigma hanging on a wall that a good price will be had on..

The thing I like about my Ti frame is that it's conventional (horizontal TT, thin straight tubing, threaded bb shell), light(ish), hard wearing and cold and hard to the touch. It feels like a machine rather than an appliance.

I rode it on and off through a couple of winters and it still looks new, unlike any painted frame I've owned.

The ride quality is fine, but my perception of that changes over time, possibly with different wheels and road surfaces. If I was bothered about ride quality above all else I'd buy a Domane or run 28mm tyres.

With the S&S couplers it packs up small for travelling, which is pretty much impossible with a non-metal frame.

Also, attractive non-black/white carbon bikes are difficult to find. So it's not so much that my bike is particularly attractive but that all the others are fugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

i think peoples main problem with steel is they remember back to their first road steel bike and how much of a heavy load it was

For some of us it's not a problem at all. I remember my first steel road bike with great affection. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

granda wrote: »
    +1 for enigma got an esprit frame last year and built it up myself and absolutly love it,it did have a problem with a weld that wasnt finished properly but they exchanged it frame for a new frame no questions asked so good customer service to
    I've been checking out the price of the Enigma Esprit frame too many times.
    Did you get it bare or did you buy it with anything fitted (forks)? Is it built up yet, and if so, how does it ride compared to a compact frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

mycycle.ie have a Genesis Equilibrium Ti for €2655 with full 105

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

diomed wrote: »
    I've been checking out the price of the Enigma Esprit frame too many times.
    Did you get it bare or did you buy it with anything fitted (forks)? Is it built up yet, and if so, how does it ride compared to a compact frame?

bought just a bare frame and yes it is built up cant comment on a compact frame as ive only ever ridden standard geometry frames
    heres a pic
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/230202/196682.jpg

granda wrote: »
    bought just a bare frame and yes it is built up cant comment on a compact frame as ive only ever ridden standard geometry frames
    heres a pic
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/230202/196682.jpg

class looking bike still havent seen it in the flest but rumour has it you've gotten a lot faster since i cycled with you:D:D.

To the OP check out spa cycles in the uk for a really good TI bike at a great price postage i think is £40

• Advertisement

Are we doing pics? :pac:

I recently put 11sp Chorus and some new weight weenie wheels on mine.

IMAG0140.jpg

Wow stunning looking bike.:cool::cool::cool:

Well, I feel slightly ashamed of the head tube length and lack of drop, but I console myself that it's not a race bike and tends to be ridden in the (fairly deep) drops except when climbing.

Well, I feel slightly ashamed of the head tube length and lack of drop, but I console myself that it's not a race bike and tends to be ridden in the (fairly deep) drops except when climbing.
    yeah i can see how your ashamed :D:D:D:D
    enjoy it its a stunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭rayr

In January I bought my Van Nicholas Euros frame direct from Planet X UK at half the price VN were selling them for. Maybe because I think the model is now discontinued. I gave to Maurice Byrne, Tramore Cycle Services, to do the build with full ultegra for me. Worked out very reasonable and cheaper than buying a full bike direct from VN. Compared to my carbon bike it is far more comfortable maybe due to more upright position which I trade for a small bit of speed(don't race anyway). I think it also looks classier.

I know Maurice has been thinking about taking a Ti franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

I have a Lynskey Titanium bike bought direct from Lynskey.....full on race bike built with the "supposedly brittle" higher grade titanium...as good and as stiff as any carbon bike I've ridden!

However, 4 years ago, I had the unfortunate luck to be hit by a car......interestingly the bike was absolutely perfect, no cracks, dents or anything!

Another guy who rides with us is on an Enigma who was hit side on by a car on his ti bike - again no problems!

We are both big enough gentlemen! Plus 6ft......

Just to put another perspective on the debate about how good Ti bikes are! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

P1020876_zpsfb34e495.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Are we doing pics? :pac:

I recently put 11sp Chorus and some new weight weenie wheels on mine.
    Nice one. What are these wheels like? Are they handbuilt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I bought a second hand Ti frame for a knockdown price last year. (Some defects with the frame but all in all it is a fine ride.)

Mostly I like the look of traditionally designed metal frames. I have raced on the bike and it feels pretty good - but that is most likely down to the size and geometry.

The rear triangle is prone to some flex with out of the saddle climbing - but I do weigh 90kg.

I would buy another Ti frame if I could justify it - I would be slow to buy another carbon frame (I have 2 already). But I would like to try a modern lightish steel frame if I could.

The frame is a Van Nicholas Mistral and with a SRAM Red/Force group and Mavix Ksyrium SL wheels weighs in at 7.7kg - my lightest carbon bike (with Shimano Ultegra SL) comes in at 7.6kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Sabbath Bicycles is another UK company that produces titanium frames. I can't comment on their quality, but I considered them before I bought my Enigma frameset and from what I recall they got reasonable reviews. They are available from FatBirds.co.uk, who actually sell titanium frames of a number of brands.

Advertisement