Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Ti road frames - who else to consider?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a Ti road frameset with a budget of up to 1300euro. So far I've looked at Planet X, Van Nicholas, Enigma, Lynskey Cooper, Litespeed Xicon. I want to consider every possibility before forking over my hard-earned, so just wondering if I'm missing any other manufacturers. Anyone know what the story is with Setavento, their website seems to be on the blink?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

It seems that you have most of the big names covered there. The issue with Ti seems to be that it is manufacturer dependant so you may be better sticking with one of the better known names.

For what its worth I have the Planet X pro road (made by Lynskey). Very happy with it - light, stiff and very responsive - a pleasure to ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

Ryder wrote: »
    It seems that you have most of the big names covered there. The issue with Ti seems to be that it is manufacturer dependant so you may be better sticking with one of the better known names.

For what its worth I have the Planet X pro road (made by Lynskey). Very happy with it - light, stiff and very responsive - a pleasure to ride.

Thanks Ryder, i'm leaning towards the Planet X alright, looks like really good value for what is a Lynskey frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Ryder wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

Merlin have a good name for Ti, so i believe... some on sale in cyclogical( i dont work there!) some litespeeds afre on sale as well. never sure of them myself- never ridden one) check the onone website. they are amazing ti mtbs, not sure if they do road bikes. but they are in close business with planet x.
    enjoy what you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Tawfee wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with Setavento, their website seems to be on the blink?

They went out of business in 2007 afaik. I believe I got one of the last frames. I had problems that weren't resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

so just wondering if I'm missing any other manufacturers.

I think there is a steel frame builder in the UK that also does titanium frames. I think the titanium frames are / were made in Russia. They may / may not still supply.

http://www.burls.co.uk/index.php

kincsem wrote: »
    I think there is a steel frame builder in the UK that also does titanium frames. I think the titanium frames are / were made in Russia. They may / may not still supply.

http://www.burls.co.uk/index.php

Hmmm, some nice looking bikes there, just made my decision that bit harder...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Any particular reason you don't want carbon? Probably better value at that price point (in fact probably better value at any price point.)

I have a Litespeed Archon and a Van Nicholas Amazon myself.

One thing I would look at very carefully is the frame weight, ti frames made out of straight gauge tubing can be pretty heavy and I think my Amazon falls into that category, maybe also the entry level racers from some of those brands. I have seen the Litespeed Xicon medium frame weight quoted at 2.6lb (1179g) which is very light for a ti frame that price. The Lynskey Cooper is also apparently "not" straight gauge although I don't know about weight.

Aesthetic-wise I think the Litespeed probably looks the best, basically looks identical to their more expensive frames at three times the price. I don't like the finish on the Lynskey Cooper. Enigma also tend to look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,055 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    One thing I would look at very carefully is the frame weight, ti frames made out of straight gauge tubing can be pretty heavy and I think my Amazon falls into that category, maybe also the entry level racers from some of those brands.

IIRC Enigma use butted tubing. One of those would be my choice, although I think the PXs are cheaper.

Lumen wrote: »
    IIRC Enigma use butted tubing. One of those would be my choice, although I think the PXs are cheaper.
    Their entry level bike, the Eclipse, uses plain gauge. The others are butted.

• Advertisement

Any particular reason you don't want carbon? Probably better value at that price point (in fact probably better value at any price point.)

Based on the few carbon & titanium frames I've test ridden, I just prefer the feel of the Ti. I had a Spesh Roubaix a few years back which, based on the reviews, was exactly the bike I wanted, but I just couldn't warm to it & eventually sold it. Frame weight I wouldn't be too bothered about.

Frame weight I wouldn't be too bothered about.
    I wouldn't discount it entirely, the difference between the lightest and the heaviest ti frames can be in the 800g range, that is a fair bit of heft.

I wouldn't discount it entirely, the difference between the lightest and the heaviest ti frames can be in the 800g range, that is a fair bit of heft.

Fair point, but when I consider the cons of my current "sportive" steed (a 531c steel frame with Chorus setup & Easton wheels), weight doesn't really figure. Spongy bottom bracket & it being essentially a 7-speed frame are the main cons, but I've never been up the mountains & wished I had something lighter. Just not a weightweeny i suppose:).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Sabbath Bicyles look pretty nice, no idea on weights though if you are influenced by that.

http://www.sabbathbicycles.co.uk/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

I know this is an old thread, but I'm in the same position and was wondering if you came to a decision? I'm a bit tied between the Burls and a VN Zepher. Had a Roubaix also so I'm pretty interested how you find the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

RoubX wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm in the same position and was wondering if you came to a decision? I'm a bit tied between the Burls and a VN Zepher. Had a Roubaix also so I'm pretty interested how you find the difference.

I ended up going for the Planet X, mainly cos it seemed like the best value for money (compare the prices of the Planet X frames http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/c/q/frames/230 with the Lynskey ones on Chainreaction http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=897. Though it did take a while to tear myself away from the Burls website! I didn't really consider the VN as i had a test on the Eurus (i think) and thought it felt a bit lifeless (don't like their graphics either).

Went for the Ti Sportive - frameset only though, and due to financial & time constraints, i haven't built it up yet, so I can't yet tell you how it compares to the Roubaix. My trusty 531c Techno is still going strong though, so that'll keep me going probably for the rest of the summer.

One thing that slightly put me out when buying from Planet X was that the seat-tube is 31.4mm even though on their website it's down as 27.2mm. Notified Planet X and they said they must have got a batch of 31.4mm frames from Lynskey unbeknownst to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

planet-x ti frames arent lynskey anymore btw (in case anyone didnt know)

planet-x ti frames arent lynskey anymore btw (in case anyone didnt know)
    AFAIK they are being made by Van Nicholas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

PBK are flogging a ti bike, but the Cycling Plus review isn't exactly inspiring and where are they made?? Good to hear the VN Euro is sluggish. That's moved me more towards a custom frame with slackened off angles, if budget allows. O/W the free fork and headset offer on www.fatbirds.co.uk might be the way to go.

I got my Van Nicholas from Fatbirds.co.uk- cheapest I could find and they were good to deal with. The headset was a bit crap though and needed replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

One thing that slightly put me out when buying from Planet X was that the seat-tube is 31.4mm even though on their website it's down as 27.2mm. Notified Planet X and they said they must have got a batch of 31.4mm frames from Lynskey unbeknownst to them.

IIRC someone else on Boards had the same issue and was told the same thing by PX. They may have got a shim from PX to sort the seat post fit. My sportive frame was 27.2mm as stated.
    Enjoy the frame when you complete the build,you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,055 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RoubX wrote: »
    PBK are flogging a ti bike, but the Cycling Plus review isn't exactly inspiring and where are they made?? Good to hear the VN Euro is sluggish. That's moved me more towards a custom frame with slackened off angles, if budget allows.

Surely "slackened off angles" would tend to make a bike handle sluggishly? Or is there some magic property of the PBK tubes that makes them feel sluggish?

AFAIK, a Ti bike will tend to be more "sluggish" than a carbon one as you can't get the rear wheel as close to the seat tube. It is perhaps possible to compensate for this 5mm or so with different angles, but that's well into framebuilder voodoo that I don't understand properly.

Advertisement