Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post delivering unaddressed junk mail

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

bubsy wrote: »
    I have a no junk mail sign on my post box and it hasn't made any difference. The post woman still puts all sorts of leaflets and ' to the householder' envelopes in it.

What you consider junk and what she considers junk may not be the same.

Get a "No unaddressed mail" sign to put a stop to everything without your name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

A "no junk mail" sign has no legal authority tho, it's posties job to deliver no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eeguy wrote: »
    What you consider junk and what she considers junk may not be the same.

Get a "No unaddressed mail" sign to put a stop to everything without your name on it.
    junkmail means unaddressed/unsolicited mail to the vast majority of people. But unfortunately you are right, a "no unaddressed mail" sign is best, as these assholes just say "well the stuff I am sticking in your door uninvited is not junk". I saw some scumbag canvassers in the election forum saying they ignore junkmail signs but do honour "no unaddressed mail" signs.

This thread is years old but I would still like to know the legality of what you can stick in letterboxes or on their property. When does it become illegal?

Politicians can dump paper with their face in my door, if the same paper is off a chocolate bar can they still do it? Can I spray paint "vote rubadub" on an old mattress and dump it in their garden? or do I have to tear it a little and leave some of it partially in their letter box, like they do mine.
    srsly78 wrote: »
    A "no junk mail" sign has no legal authority tho, it's posties job to deliver no matter what.
    some user(s) was a postman here and said they do honour them. Maybe this has changed. They will of course deliver what is obviously junkmail if it is properly addressed and postage paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Piker2017

No Junk Mail sign doesn't work here either. Can you request to be removed from a junk mail list with AN Post?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From observations of the comings and goings in our street the vast majority of crap comes from leaflet droppers not the postman. In the countryside I suspect this would not be true but in cities some lad from Brazil with no English is far cheaper than AnPost to get these around.

Put up a sign myself, reduced it a bit but not much. Worst offenders are small servicemen and stuff. Been very tempted to submit their mobile numbers to spam/premium lists some days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

bubsy wrote:
    I have a no junk mail sign on my post box and it hasn't made any difference. The post woman still puts all sorts of leaflets and ' to the householder' envelopes in it.

This is her job. An Post provides a leaflet delivery service. This subsidises the regular mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This is her job. An Post provides a leaflet delivery service. This subsidises the regular mail.
    but it seems their job is also to look for such signs and honour them. (or was)

This is another post from 2013
    Del2005 wrote: »
    There was a thread about a year ago where a post person said they had to report any "No junk mail" signs back to base. Not sure if it makes any difference as I've one and the only junk mail I get is with my post, or more than likely no post only junk.

Early in this thread I asked if you put up a no junkmail sign would they take you off the list. I meant "an posts" own list.

But seems there is a marketing list too, of course this will not be honoured by them all. Interestingly comreg also suggest you stick it in the postbox, but that is presumably addressed mail

https://www.comreg.ie/industry/postal-regulation/faqs/unsolicited-mail/
    What can I do about unsolicited mail?
    ComReg does not regulate unsolicited mail, however there are a number of steps you can take to stop unsolicited mail such as:

Put a sticker on your letter box that states you don?t want unaddressed mail (or ?junk mail?) to be delivered to you. For example, write ?no unaddressed mail please?.
    Register with the Mail Preference Service (MPS) to remove your name from many Direct Mailing lists. You can also use the service to register a previous occupants? name at your current address.
    ?Return to sender? Write on the letter that you do not want to receive any unsolicited mail from them in the future, put it back in its envelope and write clearly on the front ?return to sender?.
    Unaddressed mail put into your letter box or mail addressed to ?the occupant?, ?the resident? or ?the householder? does not necessarily involve the use of personal data and consequently data protection legislation may not apply. However you can contact the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner for assistance.

also check http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/telecommunications_and_postal_services/dealing_with_unsolicited_direct_marketing.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Email any company sends you junk mail explaining how you will never be using their services due to their unsolicited crap.
    Enough people do it (and keep their word) they will get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bubsy

spurious wrote: »
    Email any company sends you junk mail explaining how you will never be using their services due to their unsolicited crap.

I have managed to get myself off most mailing lists at this stage. It's the bombardment of SuperValu flyers, 123.ie, postcards from an post telling me about foreign currency and random stuff I really don't want to know about. All delivered by the post van. I live in a very rural area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I don't have an issue with it. Now and again I see something that interests me. Its not difficult to pop it in the recycling bin and as above, if you collected every piece of junk mail over a year, it would take up about 10% of one recycling collection - about 50c if you really broke it down.

One piece of mail gave a free 1lb of sausages - dogs loved them :)

Love the Supervalu ones as I don't have one near me but can be passing one during the day - if they have cat food or detergents or other regular item I use on offer, it may be worth my while dropping into one.

Its really a state of mind - just accept them and don't let it annoy you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 bubsy

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I don't have an issue with it. Now and again I see something that interests me. Its not difficult to pop it in the recycling bin and as above, if you collected every piece of junk mail over a year, it would take up about 10% of one recycling collection - about 50c if you really broke it down.

One piece of mail gave a free 1lb of sausages - dogs loved them :)

Love the Supervalu ones as I don't have one near me but can be passing one during the day - if they have cat food or detergents or other regular item I use on offer, it may be worth my while dropping into one.

Its really a state of mind - just accept them and don't let it annoy you.

That's all very well, but, if we go away for a few days our postbox is crammed when we get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ED E wrote: »
    From observations of the comings and goings in our street the vast majority of crap comes from leaflet droppers not the postman. In the countryside I suspect this would not be true but in cities some lad from Brazil with no English is far cheaper than AnPost to get these around.

Put up a sign myself, reduced it a bit but not much. Worst offenders are small servicemen and stuff. Been very tempted to submit their mobile numbers to spam/premium lists some days...

I get no junk mail from leaflet droppers but the amount I'm now getting from An Post is beyond a joke. Nearly every day there is a few flyers, usually advertising An Post junk mail delivery or some of their other products!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

spurious wrote: »

And now they have your email addy too :p

Advertisement