Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post delivering unaddressed junk mail

Options
  • 24-10-2013 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

NO JUNK sticker on or around your letterbox. Mr Posty usually adheres to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Does anybody know if you take down the no junk mail sticker do they put you back on the list?

I don't really want to have to put up a no junk mail sign on principle.

Its ridiculous that their default option is "yes please litter my house".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

rubadub wrote: »
    Does anybody know if you take down the no junk mail sticker do they put you back on the list?

I don't really want to have to put up a no junk mail sign on principle.

Its ridiculous that their default option is "yes please litter my house".

The NO JUNK sticker doesn't take you off a list. It just tells the posty [or other ethical junk mailers] to pass by your house. There is no "list".

EDIT : Sorry. Gov.ie maintain a marketing list which is a subset of the register of electors. But this is a different beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont have the sticker but the neighbour does.

I do get all the menus and the prepay power 'householder' post, but I also get the free newspaper. The neighbour comes in to get the paper 2 days later as he likes it!

The post person has the mail in one bag and the junk mail in another mail, they just add the junk to your mail as they get it ready to put through your letter box.

So the post person will obey the sticker, if it really annoys you, try the sticker.

I see a similar question to mine on the an post facebook page. Sounds like there might be some way as they are asking her to pm them.
    I HATE JUNK MAIL!!!
    And we are a lucky household because we get TWO pieces of every junk flyer our Postwoman is delivering. And I now have the privilege of paying the garbage collector to get rid of these unwanted papers.
    So wondering how to stop this junk mail from being delivered to my home, I phoned An Post Customer Service and I was told to put a sign “No Junk Mail” on our door. Okay, I write up a big sign and tape it to my front door. Wonders will never cease!!! I stop receiving junk mail.
    However, over time, the sign becomes tatty, gets wet and is removed from the door. WELL, you guessed it!! The junk mail resumes!!! DOES THE POSTWOMAN THINK I CHANGED MY MIND?!?
    Surely, there has to be a better way of stopping junk mail from being delivered to my home besides keeping an idiot message taped to my front door — which, incidentally, has destroyed the paintwork on the door. Is there any compensation for this?
    Does anybody have any solutions?
    An Post Hi Nancy, we have forwarded your comments to Customer Services who have advised that they are communicating with you on this directly. Thanks.
    Like · Reply · Yesterday at 12:33pm

An Post Hi Nancy, can you send us through your details via Private Message and we will get one of our Customer Service Agents to give you a call? Thanks.
    Like · Reply · October 18 at 5:27pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I dont have the sticker but the neighbour does.

I do get all the menus and the prepay power 'householder' post, but I also get the free newspaper. The neighbour comes in to get the paper 2 days later as he likes it!

The post person has the mail in one bag and the junk mail in another mail, they just add the junk to your mail as they get it ready to put through your letter box.

So the post person will obey the sticker, if it really annoys you, try the sticker.

I endured the junk for a good while, so I gave up and put the No junk Mail sticker up on Sunday. Monday, 2 unaddressed junk items! I didn't realise the postman has the junk mail in a bag. What if I keep getting the junk? My sticker is impossible not to see on the postbox.

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    I didn't realise the postman has the junk mail in a bag. What if I keep getting the junk? My sticker is impossible not to see on the postbox.
    Are you sure it was from the postman, could have been regular junkmailers.

This is probably why you now get postmen not even bringing around parcels, and just leaving signs in telling you to collect it, they have no room because of all the litter they have to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

well the postmen work there normal 37 hour week then they get over time.

The overtime is the delivering that crap.

so he is just trying to make a living like us all so just accept the stuff or you will be putting someone out making extra money for his family for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

well the postmen work there normal 37 hour week then they get over time.

The overtime is the delivering that crap.

so he is just trying to make a living like us all so just accept the stuff or you will be putting someone out making extra money for his family for Christmas.

A few leaflets does not add to a postman's overtime.

Companies contract An Post to deliver these and an post are getting paid to do so. This in turn helps pay the normal everyday wages of the post service and keeps the cost of postage down (cheaper than the UK these days and we only have 4m people)

Well I know postmen that deliver these leaflet on the weekends in Dublin.

and I hardly think its the end of the world getting Junk Mail in the door.

If he wishes to do overtime on the weekends and deliver this type of mail it

is hardly his fault that he wants to make a living and provide for his family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I talked about this with my Postman, he explained to me that An Post get paid to deliver this junk mail. If the postman does not deliver it he gets in trouble!

Having a "no junk mail" sticker gives you no protection whatsoever. As for people moaning about cost, the green bin is free usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

srsly78 wrote: »
    I talked about this with my Postman, he explained to me that An Post get paid to deliver this junk mail. If the postman does not deliver it he gets in trouble!

Having a "no junk mail" sticker gives you no protection whatsoever. As for people moaning about cost, the green bin is free usually.

That's just it. The green bin is not free mostly. Many of us pay by the lift on the green bin. All this junk mail everyday is actually costing us money. It's also such a waste to print it, deliver it, dump it and then pay to have it all recycled in to more junk mail.

That's just it. The green bin is not free mostly. Many of us pay by the lift on the green bin.
    Even if you allegedly do get "free lifts", are they truly free? as in can you sign up to some company and just get free green bin lifts. In most cases you have to hand over money, if you do this then its not free in my book -i.e. you must sign up to regular bin collections.

This is just a marketing trick like takeaways or online shops having "free delivery".

With only 2 people in my house, 1 rarely there we often have a brimming green bin, yet the normal one rarely goes out at all. Many elderly or otherwise "unfit" people would struggle to get a loaded bin in and out every 2 weeks. It all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

That's just it. The green bin is not free mostly. Many of us pay by the lift on the green bin. All this junk mail everyday is actually costing us money. It's also such a waste to print it, deliver it, dump it and then pay to have it all recycled in to more junk mail.

Don't put it in the green bin at your house... put it in the green return to sender "bin" outside post offices and other handy locations.

kiffer wrote: »
    Don't put it in the green bin at your house... put it in the green return to sender "bin" outside post offices and other handy locations.
    Is this legal?

I was asking before for a link on the actual laws & definitions of junkmail, i.e. is there a weight limit, or does it have to have an advertisement? I was wondering if there was a way to get back at the local pizza places for the kilos of unwanted litter they have discarded in my house. They have not got any "no junk mail" sign on their door, can I deliver my own "advertisement notice" to them? a black sack of grass cuttings with "grass cutting services, see enclosed sample" on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭donna 182

Our postman has began putting junkmail in our letterbox even when he has no mail for our house. It's really annoying now.

If everybody dumped their unwanted undressed stuff in postboxes, illegal or not, I would think you would quickly see it being made illegal or highly restricted.

An post are making money on this of course, but if they had to deal with getting rid of every single bit in the country they would probably favour a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Yeah just get a no junk mail sticker.

I was recently delivering leaflets with work and we just bypassed any door with no junk mail stickers on them.

What I found really annoying tho was some houses had big driveways leading up to them and only found out once I had walked right up their drive way that they had a no junk mail sticker on their letterbox which was on the door around the side of the house.

BUTTTTTT what can ya do :P

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean by that? and was it a typo of "can stop"/"can't stop"

The ban would simply be on all unaddressed mail. Its a stupid situation where in effect the default "sign" on your door is "I do not mind litter being dumped in my house" and its up to you to ask them not to, I don't want to have to put up signs to stop antisocial behaviour. The onus should be on the litterers to request permission. If they were given permission it could still be made illegal, its just easier that way, force them to pay for normal postage.

The current situation of legal littering/advertising and cold calling is the perfect alibi for burglars & conmen.

Generally speaking the postman will observe the "No Junk" sticker on your door, but the ("alleged"!) charity bags and gutter cleaners can be dropped in by anyone.

If something comes to me in a sealed franked envelope without my name then I will write "Return to sender, unsolicited spam, remove address from database" on it and drop it into the corner post box the next time I pass. I don't know but I do hope the sender is billed for that. Not much for one, but if everyone did it they would have to re-consider.

As for the pizza menus and flyers, try a note on your door saying that anyone leaving that stuff on your property will be reported for littering. I don't know if it technically is littering or not if it goes in your letterbox, but tell your local corpo/council that you saw them dump it in your garden. Enough people do the same, word gets around, and your problem diminishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sakdolan

Some of you Guys have great Postmen.... I know my M-I-L has a 'no junk mail' sticker on her house in Dublin and still gets stuff every other day...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

If you think it's bad now ...just wait until the introduction of postcodes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It's clear that many people find junk mail irritating. But some of the claims about the volume of stuff are exaggerated.

I was responsible for a vacant house in a Dublin suburb that was slow to sell. Every time that the EA or I visited, we picked up the mail from the hall floor. There were a few items to be forwarded to the former tenant, a couple for me as the person responsible for the building, and the rest was unsolicited stuff delivered either by the postman or others. We stuck all that stuff in one of the kitchen presses.

After 14 months the house was sold, and I had to clear things out. I brought a box for the junk mail and, by chance, I still have that box. It measures 42 x 29 x28 cm. (that is a good deal less volume than Ryanair's hand baggage allowance). Fourteen months' worth of junk mail half-filled that box.

At that rate, it would take quite a few years to fill a green bin.

I will say this always respect your Postman

He has a hard job it is not a handy Number.

The Volume of mail he has to deal with now these days is unreal

and more then one postman should deal with.

So Respect him always say hello and tip him at christmas if you see him

cause he will remember you.

Compared to england and its cold calling and junk mail

I would say we do not have it all that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah I put up with junk mail because my postman is a nice guy. As said previously, if the posty doesn't delivery this junk they will get in trouble!

If you guys think this is bad then try having a company registered at your address... Now you also get company junk mail, and even more calls from India offering you "technical support" than before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 bubsy

I have a no junk mail sign on my post box and it hasn't made any difference. The post woman still puts all sorts of leaflets and ' to the householder' envelopes in it.

Advertisement