Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€5 preps

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Ive tried the Meatballs in tomato sauce its lovely Ive a good appetite but half one of those tins and a bread roll and I cant move they are very filling

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

Round 2:
    W0814_PD_Thursday_UK32.jpg

Again each tin contains 800g for €1.99.
    Best before: Jan 2017.

There are less meatballs in this one & more pasta.
    They were tasty but there's more balls on a eunuch. :D
    78% pork per meatball.
    These must be heated before consumption.
    The sauce has pasta mixed through it.
    The sauce is a good quality tomato sauce with real tomato chunks, onions, garlic & spices.
    Again there is more than enough for 2 good sized portions.
    Per can:
    Calories: 666.
    Protein: 24g.
    Carbs: 112g.
    Which sugar: 37.6g.
    Fat: 12.8g.
    Saturates: 5.6g.
    Fibre: 3.2g.
    Sodium: 1.76g.

Total meat content in the tin is only 5%.
    Nice flavour, but I wouldn't rush out to buy them again.

Vegetable type is far superior in both flavour & content. :)

Round 3:
    W0814_PD_Thursday_UK25.jpg

Not a bad Bologese sauce, a little on the runny side.
    25% beef content.
    We found it quite bland even though it's supposed to have several types of herbs & spices.
    We modified ours with some taco seasoning, some onion, chili & jalapenos & made homemade taco cheese chips which will be had again. :)
    Definately worth having in the stores, great for using as a base for several recipes.
    2 servings per tin.

392g for €1.59.
    Calories: 252.
    Fat: 7.4g.
    Saturates: 3.6g.
    Carbs: 18.4g.
    Sugar: 11.6g.
    Fibre: 3.4g.
    Protein: 26g.
    Salt: 2.2g.
    Best before: Jan 2017.

My food preps storage was full so for the last 2 months I bought extra large box of washing powder extra loo rolls and bleach. This month I plan on half food and half candles out of my €20 for the month

madmaxi wrote: »
    W0514_PD_Sunday_UK16.jpg
    If these are still available in your local Aldi they are defo worth picking up.
    The tomato & mozzarella is the nicest (really rich sauce), followed by the chilli & lime (refreshing). I found the herb sauce very runny.

Each tin is €1.99, 200g & the salmon is a rectangular fillet & not some mush mixed in with a sauce. Life span is 2015/16.

These are available tomorrow (Thursday the 13th) in Aldi, I'll be picking some up for the taste test.
    W0714_PD_Thursday_UK29.jpg
    @ €1.49 for 325g.
    Choice of 2 flavours mediterranean marinade & spicy marinade.
    I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Available again Sunday the 7th, still €1.99 per 200g. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/aldi-price-comparison/Tinned_Fish/Ocean_Rise_Sardines_in_Sunflower_Oil_125g.html
    I get 5 of these in the shopping every week for snacking.
    59c each in aldi..roughly talking about 20-22g of protein.
    if you have 2 tins of these when your hungry, their good eating!
    got this weeks tins with expiry date 22/05/2019

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

B&Q are selling 80 lumen headlamps for £5 sterling. not sure what irish price is.

Is anyone else still doing their €5 a week preps ?

For the last couple of weeks I've been stocking up on lynx shower gels and roll ons from dealz and antibacterial hand soap from my local Euro shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Is anyone else still doing their €5 a week preps ?

For the last couple of weeks I've been stocking up on lynx shower gels and roll ons from dealz and antibacterial hand soap from my local Euro shop

+1 for Dealz, they do have some of the usual total crap but also have a much higher percentage of decent stuff over other pound shop type stores.

Beware their foil space blankets as they are only 1m wide by 2m which is only the very bare minimum better blankets are 1.2m x 2.4m or larger. On the other hand I think their emergency tent - a foil space blanket tube and a bit of string is excellent value (even after throwing away the nasty polyproylene string).

Back to the €5 preps I have often thought that the small sized tins that Dealz do a lot of (often in packs of 3 for €1.49) might be handy if you want smaller portions for kids or for making up one man ration packs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I regularly get toothpaste in Dealz for half the price of Dunnes and the like. You have to root around a bit and find the Irish/UK made stuff, as a lot of it is Middle Eastern. But it's a big saving and stores for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I regularly get toothpaste in Dealz for half the price of Dunnes and the like. You have to root around a bit and find the Irish/UK made stuff, as a lot of it is Middle Eastern. But it's a big saving and stores for a long time.

What's the problem with the middle eastern stuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

When I buy the Irish/UK produced product, I know I'm buying like for like with the supermarket stock. I can't be sure the non EU produced product has same ingredients/specification (or even taste).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

One thing I've started doing this week is picking up a pack of paracetamol tablets whenever I'm in Lidl or anywhere they are cheap (cheap in Irish terms 19 pence for a packet in the UK). We used to have a big stash of them as my wife had a prescription for them but she doesn't take them anymore and I used up what was left with a bad back a couple of weeks ago and tooth ache this week. Probably not used them in several years but wouldn't want to be stuck without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I got a pack of 500 ibuprofen from a girl in work who is from the US, must have it nearly a year now and not a Dent put in it where it seemed like I was buying a 12 pack every other week beforehand

Advertisement