Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€5 preps

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

12 tins of chopped tomatoes today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

How do you guys store all that tinned stuff? Are you maintaining a seperate prepping stock or just consuming it as normal?
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Stovepipe wrote: »
    How do you guys store all that tinned stuff? Are you maintaining a seperate prepping stock or just consuming it as normal?
    regards
    Stovepipe

I keep prepping stock separate and go through it every 3 months or so taking out anything that is out of date and bringing it into the house. As I've mentioned before most of it gets eaten and anything that doesn't gets mixed in with the dogs food. In just calorie terms I'd have about 4 weeks supply and the plan for a long time has been to increase that and stock up in a way that allows me to create some form of per day menu.

For me the advantage of having prepping stuff separate is that if we have to move (and there are several obvious scenarios where we live for that) its all boxed up and can be easily taken with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tradmav

Stovepipe wrote: »
    regards
    Stovepipe

Golden rule in food storage, prepping or not -
    "Eat what you store, Store what you eat"

Even if you have a multi-year supply eventually (assuming no shtf scenario happens) then you will be eating some of you stores every month. As a matter of fact in todays economy with everyone trying to be thrifty, it only make sense to do it anyway.

tradmav wrote: »
    Golden rule in food storage, prepping or not -
    "Eat what you store, Store what you eat"

Even if you have a multi-year supply eventually (assuming no shtf scenario happens) then you will be eating some of you stores every month. As a matter of fact in todays economy with everyone trying to be thrifty, it only make sense to do it anyway.

Not really, many of the cheaper high protein items that people might store wouldn't be on everyone's everyday menu which leaves the choice of large store of stuff you might not normally eat or much smaller store of stuff you will eat.

I'd suggest that the €5 preps are a good way to build up a store of the cheaper high calorie high protein items that given a choice wouldn't be everyone's everyday preference but will be readily consumed when there is nothing else.

The problem is that most of the things we use everyday have a comparatively short shelf life, making a rotation quite difficult however many of the cheap canned items which not so many people eat on a regular bases have a shelf life of four or more years. Then there is that issue that a good number of everyday calories come from frozen foods and again in times of trouble the shelf life of a freezer full of these might be reduced to a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Ive been doing this over the last month (havent had time to post)

Week
    1) 5 jars of pasta bake sauce @ €0.89 = €4.45

2) 25 packets of Noodles @ €0.20 = €5.00

3) 5 packets of Penne Pasta 1kg @ €0.99 = €4.95

4) 3 packets of bacon off cuts @ €2.20 = €6.60

5) 20 mixed tins of Beans, Peas, Spaghetti @€;0.28 = €5.60

6) 40 Bread rolls (10 mins in the oven) @ €0.64 x 4 = €6.40

All of the above were picked up in Aldi These are thing we use weekly / fortnightly. Im amazed at what you can pick up and not notice each week Ive set my goal at €10 per week but for the benefit of the thread broke it down to keep it close to €5

Not really, many of the cheaper high protein items that people might store wouldn't be on everyone's everyday menu which leaves the choice of large store of stuff you might not normally eat or much smaller store of stuff you will eat.

I'd suggest that the €5 preps are a good way to build up a store of the cheaper high calorie high protein items that given a choice wouldn't be everyone's everyday preference but will be readily consumed when there is nothing else.

The problem is that most of the things we use everyday have a comparatively short shelf life, making a rotation quite difficult however many of the cheap canned items which not so many people eat on a regular bases have a shelf life of four or more years. Then there is that issue that a good number of everyday calories come from frozen foods and again in times of trouble the shelf life of a freezer full of these might be reduced to a few days.

No - Golden rule "Eat what you store, store what you eat". Go on to any prepper forum where there are experienced preppers and you'll see that repeated often.
    Its really the difference between amateur preppers, who end up throwing out kilos and kilos of food because they wouldnt eat it anyway, and clever preppers who dont buy if they're not going to eat it.

It makes sense first and foremost economincally - you're not wasting a penny!

Also this brings up the whole health side of food storage. All the items I mentioned are generally healthy and would make up a fairly balanced diet that wouldnt leave you unhealthy and sick and with potential side nutritional side effects that might leave you disadvantaged in a shtf scenario. Beans, Pasta, sugar and chocolate and luxury items make up a large part of some preppers stores. Far better to store tinned fruit, vegetables and the healthiest carbs you can afford.

Also although it might be a little outside the spirit of this topic, if you are only spending 5 euro a week on preps you might have to rethink how much food you want to store as opposed to spending money on a sustainable source of food in a shtf scenario.
    Growing food, hunting, fishing, keeping animals etc should at least have some money devoted to them. Pity its illegal to store ammunition in this country.

No - Golden rule "Eat what you store, store what you eat". Go on to any prepper forum where there are experienced preppers and you'll see that repeated often.
    Its really the difference between amateur preppers, who end up throwing out kilos and kilos of food because they wouldnt eat it anyway, and clever preppers who dont buy if they're not going to eat it.

I agree totally. Store only what you eat you don't want to deal with fussy kids trying to force something they don't like down their necks. But by all means try new stuff at least once a week

ShadowFox wrote: »
    you don't want to deal with fussy kids trying to force something they don't like down their necks.

Jeepers, never thought of that aspect of a shtf scenario. People would have lots of these small yet potentially serious, significant problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I agree with the eat what you store group here. Its a waste of money if you do not eat the stuff you buy and then throw it out. the reason it is a €5 prep is the affordability of it.

Especially if the most likely scenario would be a temporary loss of electricity and very few shops opening.

with a slight chance of one of the canaries islands falling into the sea and causing a huge tsunami that wipes out most of the east coast of america and parts of europe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Store only what you eat

I'm firmly in this gang too. I learned this with a single tin of salmon that I bought, then never wanted to eat. :) Could have been a lot more expensive. Now I only buy stuff that we eat anyway. Helps with rotation. The one exception I make to this is tinned meat that lasts many years. The lidl canned premium ham is decent stuff and the best before date on the one I have is some time in 2017.
    you don't want to deal with fussy kids trying to force something they don't like down their necks.

True indeed. Hunger is good sauce however. :) Our kids have never *really* gone hungry (like < 8% body fat and haven't eaten in 24 hours type hungry).

It makes sense first and foremost economincally - you're not wasting a penny!

Also this brings up the whole health side of food storage. All the items I mentioned are generally healthy and would make up a fairly balanced diet that wouldnt leave you unhealthy and sick and with potential side nutritional side effects that might leave you disadvantaged in a shtf scenario. Beans, Pasta, sugar and chocolate and luxury items make up a large part of some preppers stores. Far better to store tinned fruit, vegetables and the healthiest carbs you can afford.

Also although it might be a little outside the spirit of this topic, if you are only spending 5 euro a week on preps you might have to rethink how much food you want to store as opposed to spending money on a sustainable source of food in a shtf scenario.
    Growing food, hunting, fishing, keeping animals etc should at least have some money devoted to them. Pity its illegal to store ammunition in this country.

Nothing in our store I won't eat its just not all food I'd eat everyday. I've said this in other threads (might have been this one) we don't waste much and I pay far too much attention to putting menu's together, counting calories and checking BBD. There's even a spreadsheet somewhere of what I have in a random store box.

So your turn to give us a list of these "store tinned fruit, vegetables and the healthiest carbs you can afford".

As for "Growing food, hunting, fishing, keeping animals etc" we are eating home grown potatoes and onions from the store, I don't hunt (snare) because we have cats but used to be quite successful when I did, I have a dingy for fishing (know from experience we can if necessary just live off the fishing here) and haven't bought an egg in years as we keep chickens.

Nothing in our store I won't eat its just not all food I'd eat everyday.

People have different levels of health awareness, for me and any family I'm responsible for this would be quite high. I eat really healthy anyway(to be quite honest I may go complete Paleo soon, although at the moment its more weston price based), so if the shtf happens I wouldnt be changing anything. I'd want to make sure my health is at a high level if not at peak condition, so I can deal with all the bad situations which one would face.

Its important to be balanced though, if you're hungry you must eat, no matter what it is and if there was nothing else available to store, or if I couldnt afford the healthy storeable foods Id definitely stuff my store full of cheap carbs, sugar and whatever else Id normally not get.
    But neither of those two things are a problem in Ireland at the moment. Its just as easy and almost as cheap to buy healthy, so no problem!!
    So your turn to give us a list of these "store tinned fruit, vegetables and the healthiest carbs you can afford".

I gave a sample in an earlier post above.
    As for "Growing food, hunting, fishing, keeping animals etc" we are eating home grown potatoes and onions from the store, I don't hunt (snare) because we have cats but used to be quite successful when I did, I have a dingy for fishing (know from experience we can if necessary just live off the fishing here) and haven't bought an egg in years as we keep chickens.

Wow sounds like you're on the right track!! Ever think about getting a .22?
    Actually speaking of keeping animals I met a guy recently who keeps rabbits for food!! He claimed he could feed his family for several months of the year with only foraged feed for the rabbits.
    One thing I want to do this year is grow some sort of grain, Ive been growing veg for years but I'd like to do half an acre of something like wheat/oats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Any idea what breed of rabbit he keeps?? I bought cousin a ferret at Xmas. Should be providing food for the pot in next few weeks.

€5 preps ? Well almost, might be more of a bargain alert anyway Heinz Big Soups two for €2.50 (normally €1.89 each) in Lidl picked up 6. Good long BBD (1-2006)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

€5 preps ? Good long BBD (1-2006)

7 years out of date...Mmmmm..bargin:p

7 years out of date...Mmmmm..bargin:p

OK so a typo and it should have been 2016, but still would have been interesting to try them if they were 7 years out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Yeah, possibly not a lot wrong with them if they had been stored well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Frey Bentos meatballs in tesco reduced to a euro a can. Two year shelf life too.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I hope the large eye on the can is not an indication of what the meatballs consist of.

• Advertisement

I hope the large eye on the can is not an indication of what the meatballs consist of.

Frey Bentos meatballs I think this says all that need to be said http://studentmunch.com/review/Fray-Bentos-Meatballs-in-Gravy/ .

Iceland are doing tins of all day breakfast €1.25 so picked up 5 this week

Iceland are doing tins of all day breakfast €1.25 so picked up 5 this week
    Scratch my last just came home to find my 4 kids and their friend scoffed the lot :eek: (why did I teach them to cook :rolleyes:)

Scratch my last just came home to find my 4 kids and their friend scoffed the lot :eek: (why did I teach them to cook :rolleyes:)

If only a few more kids could look after themselves like that.

If only a few more kids could look after themselves like that.
    Too many kids and adults depend on mammy and daddy to do everything and take aways for food. The way we see it if they can do the basics now like cooking, bargain hunting, using washing machine, check dates of food they buy, light the fire in the house (eldest sons (14)job) it will be better for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Frey Bentos meatballs in tesco reduced to a euro a can. Two year shelf life too.

Try these ones:
    Newgate Meatballs €0.79 cent in Lidl.
    Chicken meatballs, firm, great tasting. Sauce is a little runny but they taste fantastic. Can be eaten straight from the tin.

Nutritional information can be found here, just srcoll to the bottom:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/newgate-meatballs-103895065

W0514_PD_Sunday_UK16.jpg
    If these are still available in your local Aldi they are defo worth picking up.
    The tomato & mozzarella is the nicest (really rich sauce), followed by the chilli & lime (refreshing). I found the herb sauce very runny.

Each tin is €1.99, 200g & the salmon is a rectangular fillet & not some mush mixed in with a sauce. Life span is 2015/16.

These are available tomorrow (Thursday the 13th) in Aldi, I'll be picking some up for the taste test.
    W0714_PD_Thursday_UK29.jpg
    @ €1.49 for 325g.
    Choice of 2 flavours mediterranean marinade & spicy marinade.
    I'll let you know how it goes. :)

These are available today (Thursday the 13th) in Aldi.
    W0714_PD_Thursday_UK29.jpg
    @ €1.49 for 325g.
    Choice of 2 flavours mediterranean marinade & spicy marinade.

These are an absolute bargain, 2 people portions per tin.
    Again fillets not mush.

The mediterranean marinade is subtle in flavour.
    Marinade is very light.
    Per can there is 364 calories, that's after it's been drained.
    Fat: 22g, Saturates: 5g, Sugars: 17.6g & Salt: 2g.
    BBE is Jan 2016.

The spicy marinade has a kick like a mule.
    They are pickled & are a firm hit.
    Per can there is 366 calories, that's after it's been drained.
    Fat: 22g, Saturates: 4.4g, Sugars: 17.6g & Salt: 1.88g.
    BBE is Jan 2016.

Will be stocking up on more of these. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Dont leave them tins of herring in the back of the press and forget about them.
    Might need to call in the bomb squad! :D

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/fears-fish-tin-may-explode-30000853.html

• Advertisement

New review:
    I bought these today (Thursday the 20th in Aldi)
    Meatballs in a Tomato Sauce
    Meatballs with Vegetables
    W0814_PD_Thursday_UK32.jpg
    Each tin contains 800g for €1.99.
    Best before: Jan 2017.

I've only tried the vegetable type so far, but they are really good.
    There wasn't many meatballs about 8, reasonably big so we cut them in half.
    They were very tasty.
    89% pork per meatball.
    These must be heated before consumption.
    The sauce has pasta mixed through it. I can't explain the sauce, it was a bit like oxtail & tomato soup combined only with herbs, carrots & peas.
    More than enough for 2 good sized portions.
    Per can:
    Calories: 808.
    Protein: 35.2g.
    Carbs: 88g.
    Which sugar: 16.8g.
    Fat: 33.6g.
    Saturates: 12.8g.
    Fibre: 6.4g.
    Sodium: 1.84g.

Will be stocking up on some more of these. :)
    Will do a review of the Tomato version tomorrow.

Also they have tins of Beef Bolognese, 392g @ €1.59.
    I picked up a few. Review coming soon.
    W0814_PD_Thursday_UK25.jpg

Advertisement