Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edge Readers Top 20 Best Games Of Our Time

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Grimebox wrote: »
    I never realised how many of those are console games. Anything we can correlate from that?
    The majority of gamers own consoles.

The PC just suits my gaming at the moment. When I was younger I'd have consumed all sorts of games but now having been around games pretty much since the start I've gotten bored with a lot of game styles and many big budget games have way too many cutscenes for my liking. Plus I don't have the time.

I'm liking sim racing at the moment because you have to develop a skill to play them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

krudler wrote: »
    People who consign themselves to one platform are missing out on some of the best games ever made?

Console mongerels breed too quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

BMMachine wrote: »
    no Super Metroid or Metroid Prime

Super Metroid should be on the list. It's that simple. Anybody who has played it then and even now agrees that it's a phenomenal game. It has aged incredibly well.

I would have Metroid prime on my list personally, but I understand that is preference. There should be no preference with super....it should just be on the list no questions asked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's an Onion article on 'Internet disagrees with list' just waiting to happen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I know theirs loads of similar lists but their a good way for people to remind themselves of the games that they should of played or should give another chance to.

Peoples opinions vary so much but it's good to have some games that a majority of people agree and accept are great games, for example nobody could realistically say mario 3 or world is not a great game. Some people may not like Zelda Oot, but the fact that so many critics have hailed it the best game ever means it deserves its title of masterpiece. If Joe blogs watches and dislikes the Shawshank redemption it doesn't change the fact that Shawshank is one of the best films ever made.

It's no surprise that theirs so many console games on the list, if your a real gamer and have the time you'll have at least one console, otherwise your missing out on absolutely loads of great games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Greyfox wrote: »
    If Joe blogs watches and dislikes the Shawshank redemption it doesn't change the fact that Shawshank is one of the best films ever made.

You mean "If Joe blogs watches and dislikes the Shawshank Redemption it does't change the fact that lots of people think Shawshank is one of the best films ever made" surely? Opinion, even general consensus, is not fact in itself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"If Joe Blog watches The Shawshank Redemption, calls it one of the best films of all time but doesn't take the time or effort to watch the huge amount of amazing films from international cinematic history (not all of which are miserable four hour plus films from Eastern Europe, but some of them are and are often wholly deserving of their reputation) but still insists on calling The Shawshank Redemption one of the best films of all time then Joe's opinion is one which hasn't been decided upon by examining a wide enough sample to make such a claim, as opposed to the people who have explored a wider spectrum and have made their own opinion up as opposed to some fictionalised elitism and/or pretension." I will happily and respectfully accept someone's opinion that they prefer Shawshank Redemption to, say, The Passion of Joan of Arc or Satantango if they can give me a personal comparison of the films in question and the reasonings behind their conclusion. Could pick out many modern Hollywood films I personally prefer to some 'arthouse' classics people are 'supposed' to like (give me Toy Story over Godard any day), but I only feel confident stating that after making the decision for myself. Opinion is king, but opinions I'd personally give more weight to are ones I know come from a knowledgeable place.

Also: Just broke my own record for longest sentence I've ever written. Score!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Grimebox wrote: »
    I never realised how many of those are console games. Anything we can correlate from that?

That Edge doesn't come up on the radar for PC gamers? I mean, I'd not even heard of it until someone mentioned it a few months back... (Admittedly, I'm totally ignorant of the mainly console focused press, so this wouldn't be unusual).

I mean if you threw up the same poll on Rock, Paper, Shotgun you'd see only a handful of the best loved console games mentioned and the rest dominated by PC titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

"If Joe Blog watches The Shawshank Redemption, calls it one of the best films of all time but doesn't take the time or effort to watch the huge amount of amazing films from international cinematic history (not all of which are miserable four hour plus films from Eastern Europe, but some of them are and are often wholly deserving of their reputation) but still insists on calling The Shawshank Redemption one of the best films of all time then Joe's opinion is one which hasn't been decided upon by examining a wide enough sample to make such a claim, as opposed to the people who have explored a wider spectrum and have made their own opinion up as opposed to some fictionalised elitism and/or pretension." I will happily and respectfully accept someone's opinion that they prefer Shawshank Redemption to, say, The Passion of Joan of Arc or Satantango if they can give me a personal comparison of the films in question and the reasonings behind their conclusion. Could pick out many modern Hollywood films I personally prefer to some 'arthouse' classics people are 'supposed' to like (give me Toy Story over Godard any day), but I only feel confident stating that after making the decision for myself. Opinion is king, but opinions I'd personally give more weight to are ones I know come from a knowledgeable place.

Also: Just broke my own record for longest sentence I've ever written. Score!
    TL;DR , Joe Blog doesn't have the knowledgebase to blankly state 'best film ever' if they can't argue it with/against others they've not seen. In the end , they are opinions

There are too many of these lists anyways, everyone getting in a bunch over it. The lists come out every few years for anniversary editions etc.
    Sure we have our own boards GOTYs too, and just because we voted certain games the best, doesn't necessarily mean they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Tbh... i think its time we had our monthly "Your top 10 games EVER !" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Magill wrote: »
    Tbh... i think its time we had our monthly "Your top 10 games EVER !" thread.

Sure what's the point, every new game is proclaimed the best game ever. I thought it was Bioshock Infinite a few weeks back, now it's Last of Us. It will probably be Batman Origins later on.

Anyway we all know the real answer is Dark Souls 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sure what's the point, every new game is proclaimed the best game ever. I thought it was Bioshock Infinite a few weeks back, now it's Last of Us. It will probably be Batman Origins later on.

Have we ever had a list of "Games you really should try" here? Not a ranked list, but something that might give a bit of a spotlight to lesser known, yet worthwhile games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I'm only a couple of hours into Dark Souls and can see DS2 being a day one buy for me, why did I wait this long to play it, it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

krudler wrote: »
    I'm only a couple of hours into Dark Souls and can see DS2 being a day one buy for me, why did I wait this long to play it, it's brilliant.

Even after I originally put 100+ hours into the game there was still new things I was figuring out that blew my mind. Still playing the game even though I have near 400 hours into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would agree about Halo not being the best in the series and so misplaced in the ranking.
    RDR is superior to VC imho, but both are in there so why complain.
    Zelda OoT is, perhaps, getting on a bit but it still is such a great adventure.
    The Last of Us is a great experience but I wonder if it's a great game. On reflection I have never had such a moving experience with a computer game, akin to the tone and bittersweet SotC, but the game was a tad short of gameplay . It looked mighty purdy but much of the game was very simple with little alterations in the challenge it presented the player.
    I agree with Retr0, it'll be replaced in the next top 20 by the latest ubergame of the hour.
    I would have loved to see MSR in there, from the DC, as well as Return Fire on the 3DO, I am always shocked how little attention Return Fire gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

humanji wrote: »
    Have we ever had a list of "Games you really should try" here? Not a ranked list, but something that might give a bit of a spotlight to lesser known, yet worthwhile games.

Yeah,

we get someone coming on every 2nd months with a new thread
    "Recommend a game for me ..."
    "just got a pc , what game should I buy ?"
    "new to xbox, what games are a must play ?".. etc. :P

A quick search

1. Recommend me a Steam Game http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86663580

2. Game Recommendations
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84828849

3. Another Game Recommendations
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85420342

4.Break from gaming - what to get ?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85716642

Advertisement