Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edge Readers Top 20 Best Games Of Our Time

Options
  • 23-10-2013 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/23/heres-edge-readers-twenty-best-games-of-our-lifetime/

20 – World of Warcraft
    19 – Marjoa’s Mask
    18 – Vice City
    17 – Chrono Trigger
    16 – Portal
    15 – Red Dead Redemption
    14 – Bioshock
    13 – Ico
    12 – The Last of Us
    11- Dark Souls
    10 – Super Mario Galaxy
    9 – Metal Gear Solid
    8 – Shadow of the Colossus
    7 – Goldeneye
    6 – Halo
    5 – RE4
    4 – Final Fantasy VII
    3 – Half Life 2
    2 – Super Mario 64
    1 – Ocarina of Time

Not a surprising list except I would of expected Metal Gear Solid to be higher up on the list. Also Surprised to see majoras mask make it into the top 20 from what i heard its an obscure game in the zelda franchise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Woulda put Mario Galaxy 2 over the first one myself, it took everything and expanded on it, pretty predictable but hard to disagree with list.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

There's only two games on the list I haven't played: Dark Souls and the Last of Us.
    As Krudler said, it's hard to disagree with the list - all great games.

Majora's Mask is certainly darker than most other Zelda games - personally though I think it's one of the best for it.
    It doesn't follow the usual Zelda mechanic and is all the better for it.

Don't think I would have put FFVII so high. It will always have a special place in my heart but there are so many other JRPG's that are so much better - even in the FF series itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Seeing at its such early days people will probably shoot me down but I think GTAV would possibly deserve a look in here, maybe even at the expense of Vice City. I think in years to come people will look back at V as the greatest GTA so far. Unless they top it with 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Penn

RDR over Vice City? I find it hard to agree with that. I have no problem with RDR being on the list as it is a truly amazing game, but Vice City was a damn near perfect game.

I also prefer Metal Gear Solid 3 over MGS1, but it'd be pretty close between them anyway so no real issue there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFVII ahead of stuff like Persona 4, Grandia, SMT3 etc.? Feck off. Plenty of western RPGs like Planescape and Fallout 2 would be well ahead of it.

They still have a hard on for Halo. I enjoyed Halo Reach a whole lot more.

Ocarina of Time number 1? Wonderful game but it's a bit creaky, I'm not sure about that.

Where's Symphony of the Night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Always hard to argue against most of the games in a list like that, but there's so many other games that could easily slot in there and no one would bat an eye.

Only one's that looks suspect to me are Halo (At least not in the top 10 !) and possibly Red Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I could think of a 100 games better than RDR. Shouldn't be anywhere near a top 20.

Actually... thinking about games not on it... sh!t list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I always find it strange how people seem to always take such offence at times to lists like these. Not talking about anyone here specifically, just in general. Everything's subjective, there's no such thing as a list that everyone is going to agree is bullet proof.

For example, I love Halo, have played it online probably more than all other games combined, yet I must be one of the few people who think Half life 2 is so grossly overrrated. I thought it was good, but that's about all, and couldn't care if Half Life 3 never came out. But at the time time I don't dispute it's place on lists at all because quite clearly there's a reason it's there, I just don't personally get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Context is key when it comes to lists like this, like Halo, it's a pretty bog standard fps game , but it was the first of it's kind on console and revolutionised multiplayer outside of the PC environment. It's hard to imagine consoles with no online multiplayer these days so in that sense it's an important title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

I'll be shot for this but I found Shadow of the Colossus vastly overrated. I felt ICO was a far superior game.

I'd put Portal higher than RDR too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    FFVII ahead of stuff like Persona 4, Grandia, SMT3 etc.? Feck off. Plenty of western RPGs like Planescape and Fallout 2 would be well ahead of it.

They still have a hard on for Halo. I enjoyed Halo Reach a whole lot more.

Ocarina of Time number 1? Wonderful game but it's a bit creaky, I'm not sure about that.

Where's Symphony of the Night?

It's a reader's poll. They are inevitably the most populist lists possible. Niche or cult games do not have a ****ing chance, just like the countless wonderful but lesser known films from cinema history do not stand a chance against Star Wars and The Shawshank Redemption when Empire invites its readers to vote.

At least when critics and 'experts' vote there is some expectation they have a deeper knowledge of the medium. But this will never be anything other than a gauge of popular opinion, and popular opinion is always going to be a narrow, predictable perspective. Critiquing the list is even more futile in situations like this. Impressive a few left-of-field titles like Majora's Mask made the list at all, and at least there's no major abominations clogging it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Personally I wouldnt have RDR,Portal,WOW,Bioshock or vice city on the list

As much as I loved Bioshock being in the top 20 does not seem right imo.

Also I am surprised for a readers list there is no minecraft. Would of thrown my house in as a safe bet for it to be included

Also very happy call of duty didnt get a mention :L

krudler wrote: »
    Context is key when it comes to lists like this, like Halo, it's a pretty bog standard fps game , but it was the first of it's kind on console and revolutionised multiplayer outside of the PC environment. It's hard to imagine consoles with no online multiplayer these days so in that sense it's an important title.

Thats my problem with halo tho, its rated higher than games that are better only because it was on console. Being important for console development doesn't make it a good game. No halo game has had a single player campaign worthy of being on a top 50 best game ever list and the multiplayer was **** compared to games released on PC up to five years previous.

I understand the whole "It was an amazing game when it was released" argument for other games, but frankly, it doesn't apply for halo, at least for anyone that had been playing on PC at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Magill wrote: »
    Thats my problem with halo tho, its rated higher than games that are better only because it was on console. Being important for console development doesn't make it a good game. No halo game has had a single player campaign worthy of being on a top 50 best game ever list and the multiplayer was **** compared to games released on PC up to five years previous.

I understand the whole "It was an amazing game when it was released" argument for other games, but frankly, it doesn't apply for halo, at least for anyone that had been playing on PC at the time.

I've said this countless times before but I hate when people speak on behalf of PC owners as if its one collective hive mind. I've been playing first person shooters on the PC since Wolfenstein, but have owned consoles as well, PC was and still is my primary platform though.

I've put more hours into Halo multiplayer than I have COD, the battlefield series, Company of Heroes - combined.

At the time Halo original was released, I was playing the likes of Quake III, Unreal Tournament, RTCW online pretty much nightly, so I was certainly no stranger to what the PC offered.

And I still thought Halo was absolutely incredible, the split screen in particular had us up till 6am huddled around a 14" more weekends than I care to admit. PC LAN games shrivelled up for quite a while as it was pretty much the only thing we played. That same process happened with Halo 2, particularly 3, and again with Reach, not so much with Halo 4 however.

I get it, not everyone likes Halo. That's fine. I don't like Grand Theft Auto, I despise Zelda, think Final Fantasy is rubbish. But they're just my opinions. I fully recognise that they're great games, even if I don't see them in the way that others dont.

But this constant notion of speaking for other people by dismissing Halo as popular only because console owners somehow 'didn't know any better, bless them' is irritating, and unfounded. Halo was brilliant for a variety of reasons, and it was the first game that actually made me buy a console for a single title alone.

I'll always remember trying to explain to my dad in 2002 why I wanted an Xbox and Halo for my birthday when my parents had just spent about a thousand pounds on a gaming PC a few months previous.

Sorry, i shouldn't have spoke for all PC gamers. I still stand by what i said in that it was miles behind shooters on the PC at the time, especially in multiplayer. I remember playing it with friends on splitscreen too and while it was fun, compared to playing CS or team fortress classic, especially on lan... it wasn't even in the same league. I would even say that's closer to being a fact than just an opinion as they were superior in almost every way.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

no Super Metroid or Metroid Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

There are always going to be flaky, however I'm just glad to see Dark Souls make it on there even if it is just a popularity list!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

No oblivion, skyrim or kotor :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

The Last of Us is shyte...

• Advertisement

penev10 wrote: »
    I could think of a 100 games better than RDR. Shouldn't be anywhere near a top 20.

You belong a minority group, on that one. It was a masterpiece.

Also the original XCOM should be there. There seems to be a slant towards very recent games. Shame.

Edit: Just realised the list is meant for modern games, I think.

The Last of Us is shyte...
    You belong a minority group, on that one. It was a masterpiece.

:D

Magill wrote: »
    :D

I know, but I didn't like it. I liken it to being a hamster in a very linear maze. Boring.

I'm hard to please though. I don't like GTA V.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

delighted to see dark souls on that list
    probably one of my favourite games of all time

I would take out rdr,
    vice city deserves to be their, perfect gta game ever made

Metal gear solid deserves to be their I think if its the first one

I know its a popular vote of those games, and they are missing some real golden gems I think should be their
    but alas its all down to popular opinion that wins at the end
    halo does not deserve to be their at least not in the top 10 anyway, was a great game and i loved the series but my god I could pick so many other games to over take it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

that list is bollocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

These lists are always total waste of time, and an even bigger waste of time arguing over lets face it, a top 20 is a personal thing.

I've played most of those games and while I agree they are great I'd only have 4 of them in my top 20, If I listed my top 20 or others listed there there would be the same reaction to them as the Edge one with a little extra scorn for my list perhaps :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

krudler wrote: »
    Halo 1 didn't have online multiplayer.

Also it had a stupid OP pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

ShaneU wrote: »
    No oblivion, skyrim or kotor :/

Morrowind would be there far ahead of Oblivion or Skyrim I would think.

RDR definitely should not be ahead of VC and personally, I don't think VC should be ahead of SA, but maybe that's just me.

There's a few games omitted from the list that I'd have there instead but overall it's not the worst one out there. Although these lists are quite personal and largely not worth arguing over.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

no Bulletstorm!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

BMMachine wrote: »
    no Bulletstorm!?

image.png

Advertisement