Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

85% off Walimex pro lenses @ amazon.de

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

This is another error that will just be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Actually it looks like these lenses were always meant to be that price (< €100) and they had quadrupled the price to €400 range last few weeks / months. So this is the right price, hence probably not a bargain.

positron wrote: »
    Actually it looks like these lenses were always meant to be that price (< €100) and they had quadrupled the price to €400 range last few weeks / months. So this is the right price, hence probably not a bargain.

I don't think so..

http://www.walimex.biz/Lens__Pentax-Q_1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭shnaek

Ordered the 24mm anyway. Says it's a Canon EF mount with a Pentax adaptor. €96 delivered. For a 24mm 1.4 that is a steal - if it gets delivered...

I have keepa plugin on Chrome and it shows that all these three lenses were around €100 back around first week of October and then bumped up to 400-700 range.

I've never heard 'Walimex' range of lenses and quick googling shows they are made by Samyang. I can't see how/why anyone would spend €500+ on third party lenses of questionable image quality.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3175137#forum-post-41090940

• Advertisement

I have keepa plugin on Chrome and it shows that all these three lenses were around €100 back around first week of October and then bumped up to 400-700 range.

From Pentax and Canon forums they had the price at 88 on Oct 6th, then cancelled all the orders. Looks like they are trying to get some cheap publicity.

I've never heard 'Walimex' range of lenses and quick googling shows they are made by Samyang. I can't see how/why anyone would spend €500+ on third party lenses of questionable image quality.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3175137#forum-post-41090940

Samyang actually make very good quality lenses, usually around the €3-400 mark (8mm fisheye, 35mm f1.4 and 85mm 1.4), they're just not as well known because they're manual focus lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Is there any for the sony nex cant speak German

Hootanany wrote: »

There's none at all, it's another misprice for free publicity.

shnaek wrote: »
    From Pentax and Canon forums they had the price at 88 on Oct 6th, then cancelled all the orders. Looks like they are trying to get some cheap publicity.
    Samyang actually make very good quality lenses, usually around the €3-400 mark (8mm fisheye, 35mm f1.4 and 85mm 1.4), they're just not as well known because they're manual focus lenses.

Thanks, I just hadn't heard of them. Looks like there are a few good reviews around as well. Best of luck to those who are taking a chance.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/samyang-24mm-f-1-4-ed-as-if-umc-lens-review-19623

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Hootanany wrote: »

You could use these on the NEX with a cheap adapter but they'll be manual. In general there are very few lens mounts this is untrue for with the NEX. Alot of the time manual lenses for other mounts get listed as for the NEX and all they are doing is throwing in an adapter with the lens.
    There's none at all, it's another misprice for free publicity.

Is this proven to be a thing? Wouldn't it be breaking several advertising laws if it was? I understand they are covered against genuine mistake but this would be different if it was shown to be deliberate.

Toast wrote: »
    Is this proven to be a thing? Wouldn't it be breaking several advertising laws if it was? I understand they are covered against genuine mistake but this would be different if it was shown to be deliberate.

How could you possibly prove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

I order the Walimex pro 24/1, 4. Getting delivered to a German address and paid for the express postage. Will let you guys know when it get cancelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭pedatron

Any way to adapt for a nikon? Can't see anything online after a quick google!

pedatron wrote: »
    Any way to adapt for a nikon? Can't see anything online after a quick google!

I think Canon has the largest sensor to lens distance and therefore room for adapters (to Pentax etc.), saves making Pentax specific lenses, but the Nikon lenses have their own Nikon mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The lenses seem to be Canon mounts and come with an adapter for Pentax Q. Bit odd.

Ordered the fisheye for the laugh. Had to use Parcel Motel as they wouldn't take an Irish address but would take a UK one.

There's also an 85mm F1.4 for a similar price, not listed in the OP.

I think Canon has the largest sensor to lens distance and therefore room for adapters (to Pentax etc.), saves making Pentax specific lenses, but the Nikon lenses have their own Nikon mount.

Feck. Was gonna chance the 24mm if it was possible! Thanks!

penev10 wrote: »
    Ordered the fisheye for the laugh. Had to use Parcel Motel as they wouldn't take an Irish address but would take a UK one.
    They took my Irish address. :confused:

pedatron wrote: »
    Feck. Was gonna chance the 24mm if it was possible! Thanks!

I could be wrong though, memory is fuzzy.

shnaek wrote: »
    They took my Irish address. :confused:

The warning was in German so it may not have been what I thought. Just gathered it wasn't a valid address. Can't think what else it could have been?

• Advertisement

I could be wrong though, memory is fuzzy.

No that sounds right Kenny. I remember being told that before or something to that effect! Looking like it should be a super deal lads.Still up at that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Not too sure it will happen lads/ladies. I seen a link here on the Canon forum. Peoples orders got cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I took a punt, they would not accept Irish address, but Parcel Motel worked fine. I got a confirmation email but delivery is not expected until mid November. Let's see what happens :-)

Just in case anyone missed it these lenses don't have auto focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

This happened on the US amazon with the same lenses under the Rokinon brand name (and they're Samyang here just to be awkward).

If they do actually send them, they're pretty good, I have the 85mm and love it. The US Amazon cancelled though, within about an hour of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

How could you possibly prove it?

Using the same evidence that you used to accuse them of doing it?

I'm curious if there's a recorded pattern of Amazon mispricing items that aren't selling well, letting hype build, canceling orders and a subsequent rise in sales placement or did you see them misprice a few random items that got canceled orders and just assumed this is what is happening?

If its the former than it's huge and I want to know more. If its the latter... well try adding an IMO to statements like that in the future to avoid causing confusion I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

None left to order.

No cancellation email yet.

The fact that 3 were incorrectly priced (split out the sales) and one was down at this price before
    http://de.camelcamelcamel.com/Walimex-pro-VDSLR-Objektiv-Pentax/product/B00CBVJR28

is giving me false hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

3 days and no cancellation. Getting more optimistic that this might get delivered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Mine says AUFGEGEBENE BESTELLUNG which translates to 'discontinued order' so that's probably not a good sign. Surpised there's been no cancellation email at all though, not really Amazon's style, but things might be different in Germany.

Advertisement