Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

91 Corolla Co. Cavan.
    482121.jpg

I also spotted the 1997 gold Opel Astra posted recently in this thread and a 1990 Polski Fiat 126 in Monaghan.

Also a ZV reg Triumph Acclaim...somewhere. Can't remember where and am not trawling through hours of dashcam footage to look for it. It is approx 20 years since I saw one on the road. From the howmanyleft website there are 126 of them still on the road in the UK with 264 SORN, those numbers are much higher than I would have predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Not "on the road", but you guys might have an interest anyway..
    In the local scrap metal yard here in Cavan this morning, and saw this pair.
    The Dolly might survive a while ( giving where its parked) but the Renault's date with the crusher is imminent...

rX70usM.jpg

wwZurP1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for posting those. You never know what will turn up in a scrapyard.
    That's a 1300 earlier than a Dolomite with FWD.
    Pity about that Renault, lots of parts there. Maybe it's not as bad as first look suggests.
    They are appreciating being a late example of quirky French design.

Reg. of the Triumph.
    xk15e4t.jpg

elperello, just noticed the "1300" badge in the bumper!

Shame about the boot and there is probably a lot of rust not seen as well.
    But I see the Coventry chrome is holding up well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Erm, a lot of them in Cavan would probably consider that Renault just run in, in fairnesspacman.gif

Erm, a lot of them in Cavan would probably consider that Renault just run in, in fairnesspacman.gif

Feck sake, I'm almost afraid to leave my 07 Avensis while going into the office, in case they grab it and crush it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Galway
    ccfBdox.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The Dolly might survive a while ( giving where its parked) but the Renault's date with the crusher is imminent...

rX70usM.jpg

wwZurP1.jpg

Is that Felix Gormley’s yard? He always has a few interesting yokes

Any reg on the Renault?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

UlDdLUr.jpg

LCe5Mya.jpg

IOHOUob.jpg

• Advertisement

Duke, yes Felix's yard. Didn't get any closer to the Renault, but hoping to be back monday evening. ( if its still there)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Spotted this Renault in Ballavary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seen a 95 Toyota Carina today. I know the person who drives it too. He used to drive school buses and even worked for Bus Eireann for a while. Always drives cars about 20 odd years behind the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Two in Spain yesterday :

20190607-142835.jpgwhere's the nearest gas station

IMG-20190610-WA0001.jpgfuel station near me

And Dublin this am:

20190610-004847.jpg

M7 this evening.

20190610-004722.jpg

Macroom a little later ;

20190610-004659.jpg

Phibsboro this morning :

IMG-20190610-WA0002.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Near Mallow.

zpGKV6s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭tc20

mayota wrote: »
    Spotted this Renault in Ballavary.

ahh janey.. if the good folk here will indulge me for a moment - my Dad had one of those, in red (807 CIK, 1975 iirc) and it was the first car he let me driver (it was the early 80s and i was in my early teens, so just around car parks, open spaces, etc) This is a Mk1, distinguishable by the air vent on the C-pillar - the later model has the shorter rectangular vent which is in the pic in the Cavan scrap yard that Neckarsulm recently posted. Very comfortable seats, and a big fat pull down armrest in the back seat are my other memories of that car. He bought it from a chap in Blackrock just at the junction of Temple Hill & Newtownpark Avenue, near the Quaker cemetery.
    Thanks Mayota - you made my day :)

and here's a few oldies I saw myself recently...

oh, and a few Nun-mobiles for Duke ;)

the '95 is very low mileage, under 40K miles - it lives in our estate, same chap also has a similar vintage Corolla, again low miles and looks like it just came out of the showroom. (local dealer sticker present)

• Advertisement

That 95 Starlet is fantastic. You must congratulate its owner on his excellent choice of motor cars :D

That 95 Starlet is fantastic. You must congratulate its owner on his excellent choice of motor cars :D

it's got the odd little blemish (small dint on the boot, another below the rear rhs lights) but the interior is flawless, his Corolla is immaculate.
    Edit - found a pic of it, it's a 96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Screen grab from my cheap low quality dash cam.

88 or 89 Dodge Ram in Nenagh

708a9bfcf08ff3cfaa5e8941b430fc72.png

b8e17746e7eb170ac7dd8714ff54391f.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Cortina yesterday. Brutal looking yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Old Silver Toyota Corolla estate around Portlaoise on Sunday (heartlands Rally) with a ???? IR reg, just wide wheels on it, looked clean. (Its on dash cam, must have a look back).

Nekarsulm wrote: »

rX70usM.jpg

wwZurP1.jpg

She has been rescued :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/triumph-1300/22103212

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

elperello wrote: »

Hmm, was it given in to be destroyed or sold?

To be fair most yards will just offer to buy a car if they think they can make a few quid on it. 99% of the time the owner is happy just to get his or her money, and doesn't really care what happens to the car so they'll agree to sell it to them and not look for a COD.

In general, that yard refuses to sell any complete vehicle that has come in.
    I've tried them once or twice, but if it got a Cert. of destruction, its not leaving.

• Advertisement

Just a question.
    Would a COD be needed for a UK reg. in Ireland?

Advertisement