Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Nice nipple slip by the Cortina.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Galway
    tD5jKfg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Peugeot 505 Limerick, what a beaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I'm sure you can attest to this yourself Martin when I say that north Dublin - particularly Whitehall, Marino, Drumcondra and Glasnevin - is still full of these yokes. Pass through any of these areas tomorrow and you're bound to see one or two, be they on the road or sat up in a garden but even still I never get tired of seeing them.

Its funny how you can relate certain cars to certain parts of the country/county.

The one thing common across all of Ireland is old Toyotas. Would you say the Starlet is more common in North Dubliin and the XLI Corolla is what you mostly see in rural Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

tuxy wrote: »
    The one thing common across all of Ireland is old Toyotas. Would you say the Starlet is more common in North Dubliin and the XLI Corolla is what you mostly see in rural Ireland?

I was going to say the very same thing last night in my original reply :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

This. I spend half my time in Dublin and half in the south, and it's definitely Jackeen starlets and culchie Corollas!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Very true. This is in Cavan town.
    There is another one always parked nearby, a kind of rose pink/purple one. Some day I'll get all three in a row...

Ne1gZCQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Lovely BMW e38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Very true. This is in Cavan town.
    There is another one always parked nearby, a kind of rose pink/purple one. Some day I'll get all three in a row...

The 1999 was the best year to get that shape Corolla, rev gauge as standard and 4efe engine which is more reliable than the one with vvti.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The 1999 was the best year to get that shape Corolla, rev gauge as standard and 4efe engine which is more reliable than the one with vvti.

Did they get electric front windows as standard too in 99? just wondering as my 99 e11 saloon has them.

• Advertisement

I see this around a lot. Pity about the paintwork. It's in good nick otherwise and running very well.

481668.jpg

Ooooh I would just love to attack that with a bottle of t cut!

Ooooh I would just love to attack that with a bottle of t cut!

Or 2.

My OH has an 06 Astra that's nearly as bad. I'm going to have to do something with it soon. It ruins an otherwise grand car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

97 Astra outside the NCT centre in Cavan town today.
    For a really common car, they are remarkably scarce now.
    I wonder if the "Electra" sticker on the back was an official Opel offering.
    E11OoYn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Did they get electric front windows as standard too in 99? just wondering as my 99 e11 saloon has them.

Our 2.0 diesel has the front electric windows too.

Plus ABS.

Did cupholders come in for 99 as we have those as well but hard to imagine a 97/98 having cupholders but no rev counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

KanFo09.jpg

buKJiIc.jpg

Old diesel wrote: »
    Our 2.0 diesel has the front electric windows too.

Plus ABS.

Did cupholders come in for 99 as we have those as well but hard to imagine a 97/98 having cupholders but no rev counter.

My 97 had cup holders

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Peugeot 505 Limerick, what a beaut

Peugeot's have to be, model for model, the most ageless cars out there.

Beautiful little Fiat 126 in Soho last night. Adore these machines.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    KanFo09.jpg

buKJiIc.jpg

I love the X with nothing before or after it.

• Advertisement

Sealed with a kiss, what's your problem?

Sealed with a kiss, what's your problem?

No problem.

I used to own a CB-X motorcycle. We used to call it "The X".

In hindsight maybe I shudda put a smiley in that post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭selectamatic

My 97 had cup holders

Yep the 3 98 ones I've had did too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Spotted in Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Also in Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Also in Clare

The Galant is no spring chicken either.

Coolock village this evening

47987996946_b28482e5ff_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Having owned both id have the vvti if given the choice. They are smoother and quieter, have a nicer interior and better seats and they look better too.

No doubt the 4e-fe is as robust as they come but the vvti with a small bit of care is also a very reliable unit.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Having owned both id have the vvti if given the choice. They are smoother and quieter, have a nicer interior and better seats and they look better too.

No doubt the 4e-fe is as robust as they come but the vvti with a small bit of care is also a very reliable unit.

I have a 97 4efe. I've never been more in awe of an engine. It blows my mind how much abuse it can handle for such a tiny little 4 pot.

Just a beaut of engineering.

Advertisement