Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Glasnevin;

20180205_003742.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Wow, thats a survivor!

I had a three door Jap import in the very same colour a few years ago. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

great engine in them, body would practically evaporate in rain on the earlier models.......older Landies are still common enough (trigger's broom, though)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,887 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Crashed an 88 1L Diesel Van of them many years ago. Fire Brigade had to cut the roof and the side off it to get me out as the whole bulk head came in and trapped me under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Stovepipe wrote: »
    great engine in them, body would practically evaporate in rain on the earlier models.......older Landies are still common enough (trigger's broom, though)

The version in the above pic had decent enough rust protection but the diesels were prone to cylinder head cracking. Great cars though, especially for their time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The first two models had a three-cylinder engine which was probably unique in Ireland. It ran like a Swiss watch. The first model looked very similar to the style of the first Honda Civic and it was deadly for rust. The mk 2 has the rounded shape posted above and was much better but still poor by modern comparison.....I saw a 98 reg Toyota Landcruiser today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Stovepipe wrote: »
    The first two models had a three-cylinder engine which was probably unique in Ireland. It ran like a Swiss watch. The first model looked very similar to the style of the first Honda Civic and it was deadly for rust. The mk 2 has the rounded shape posted above and was much better but still poor by modern comparison.....I saw a 98 reg Toyota Landcruiser today.

We had 3 of the 88-93 charades in the family. None suffered any major rust. The only place they seemed to rust was on the boot door, especially around the window. This was when they were 12 or 13 years old though.

For their time they were a lot better than most of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Not your usual rusty blue 3 door ball of scrap 900. This 5 door looked well looked after and very clean
    441144.png

Can't be many Celica Convertibles about (ST183...?)
    441145.png

900.png

Celica.png

That Saab is a great find. Don’t think it’s local.

That Saab is a great find. Don’t think it’s local.

I'll keep an eye out for it, I think I've seen it before... Think

I often forget what I've seen and only remember when reviewing dashcam footage... Many's a time I've seen 07-D-175 driving around the back of the airport and not once do I have a pic of it! :o

• Advertisement

A few in Nerja today.

20180210_005037.jpg

20180210_005102.jpg

20180210_005144.jpg

20180209_160718.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I saw this at a petrol station today but didn't meet the owner. Another onlooker reckoned it was a six litre v12.

441208.jpg

441209.jpg

441210.jpg

The Merc is only the base S280, but nice to see all the same, especially with a new-looking tax disc in the window!

That colour was common on the S600 all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

sligojoek wrote: »
    I saw this at a petrol station today but didn't meet the owner. Another onlooker reckoned it was a six litre v12.

Over took him last night on the way home :)

Big lump of a thing, not a fan of the shape of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Galway city today

sligojoek wrote: »

Could be the same car but there's a fella I know from clay shooting who uses a 96 S280 as his daily driver, a real down to earth gent. I'll get a pic of it next time I see it

Speaking of member cars, here's a treat to see. Regular sight for many, many years
    441436.png

vlcsnap-2018-02-12-10h03m49s740.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭tc20

Manta in bray recently.
    Mini & Merc in Blackrock (Dublin) - both daily drivers.

I've seen before and got a pic this time :D

441603.png

vlcsnap-2018-02-13-15h47m11s201.png

That Silvia is mint, saw it (albeit from a distance) at the Lidl Topaz a few months ago and it was gleaming

Donaghmede..had to be sneaky

39540090334_82a66d0fa5_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That Silvia is mint, saw it (albeit from a distance) at the Lidl Topaz a few months ago and it was gleaming

Donaghmede..had to be sneaky

39540090334_82a66d0fa5_c.jpg

Good jesus man. It's still before the watershed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,741 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

mmm
    We had one of those in silver back in the day, TZW 25.
    Car would have kept going till eternity but the body rusted to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Oldest car (and oldest house) I have seen today!!
    Car 1974
    House 13th century!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Another Beetle in Salthill today. Not sure about them wheels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

^^^^^

Painting the chrome bits in Magnolia is ... interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Top Dog wrote: »
    ^^^^^

Painting the chrome bits in Magnolia is ... interesting.

So-Cal(well, West coast anyway) de-chrome with local version of powder coat.

M50;

20180223_092324.jpg

German sticker on the back so probably a left hooker.

Saw that in Ikea last year. It’s very clean!

Spotted a Rolls Royce hearse on the Malahide Road this morning @ Coolock industrial estate. No pic but the reg was 1111ZL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭tc20

French registered Pug on Capel St, can't tell you the year, but when did they cease production - mid/late 90s?
    Golf in Greystones

tc20 wrote: »
    French registered Pug on Capel St, can't tell you the year, but when did they cease production - mid/late 90s?
    Golf in Greystones

The very latest one I saw was an early 97 MH many years ago, 96 was the last of them here but may have lasted a bit longer elsewhere

• Advertisement

I believe the 205 went to 1998 in France

Advertisement