Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bingie

The appointment was a complete waste of time. Got in on time and given a number. Told I wouldn't be scanned and it was just a clinic appointment. The nurse pretty much ignored me and took my bp and told me to go and wait again. Then got called by another nurse who said I needed a blood test and her and a colleague (though both nice) spent 20 minutes trying to get blood out of me. Ended up looking like I'd been attacked by a cactus.
    Then we got told to wait again to see the dr. Eventually got called in, the dr didn't even bother introducing herself. I mentioned that I thought the appointment would have a scan, she sighs and says she can do one if we want. After writing off all my concerns as "that's just how it is being pregnant" she scanned us. Spent probably all of 2 minutes doing the scan and didn't even try to check for gender so we're still unsure where we stand with it. Been told to come back in 12 weeks which feels like a mile away. Left the hospital with my OH feeling really upset. We're currently waiting for a call back from a private place to see if they can scan us instead this afternoon.

Did anyone else have this sort of experience or am I just being complete irrational about the whole thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

bingie wrote: »
    The appointment was a complete waste of time. Got in on time and given a number. Told I wouldn't be scanned and it was just a clinic appointment. The nurse pretty much ignored me and took my bp and told me to go and wait again. Then got called by another nurse who said I needed a blood test and her and a colleague (though both nice) spent 20 minutes trying to get blood out of me. Ended up looking like I'd been attacked by a cactus.
    Then we got told to wait again to see the dr. Eventually got called in, the dr didn't even bother introducing herself. I mentioned that I thought the appointment would have a scan, she sighs and says she can do one if we want. After writing off all my concerns as "that's just how it is being pregnant" she scanned us. Spent probably all of 2 minutes doing the scan and didn't even try to check for gender so we're still unsure where we stand with it. Been told to come back in 12 weeks which feels like a mile away. Left the hospital with my OH feeling really upset. We're currently waiting for a call back from a private place to see if they can scan us instead this afternoon.

Did anyone else have this sort of experience or am I just being complete irrational about the whole thing?
    Hi Bingie, sorry to hear you didn’t have a good visit. I do know what you mean, sometimes when they are busy, it’s easy to feel like you’re just a number. I had my appointment this morning as well, I had a similar sort of timeline to you, but I have to say everyone was very nice, but I do agree that they don’t really explain much or give you much one on one time. I wasn’t expecting a scan so was pleasantly surprised when the registrar popped me up on the table. It wasn’t a very detailed scan, but she did point out the bits and bobs and printed me a couple of pictures. I was delighted with that, but then I had the more detailed scan last week so didn’t really need to get much detail today. I think in the public system, they are just so busy that they are just trying to get you in and out as quickly as possible and you do feel like cattle sometimes! I’m team green, so didn’t ask about the gender.

My next visit is at 32 weeks too, but will have GP visits in between, all that was explained to me at my 12 week scan so was prepared for that, but can see how you'd be disappointed if it hadn't been laid out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

I'm in the public system too (rotunda) and my experiance couldn't have been more different! 12 week booking app, was blood/urine tests weight/height and basically any questions/ concerns you have. Advice on healthy eating, vitamins etc. Then we had a mini scan that lasted just a few mins where they measured baby/ heartbeat confirmed dates and printed off three pics.
    I was very happy with the care.

My second app was for anatomy scan. I wasn't waiting long at all maybe 15 mins.
    The scan was amazing the sonographer(?) spent a long time with us showing every detail, eg kidneys ,spine, face, hands. She checked everything in detail and printed off 5 pics for us.
    We were delighted.

Don't forget if you aren't happy at any stage you can change hospital!
    I'm doing combined gp care plus visiting the domino midwife clinic for appointments so I don't think I will actually be in the hospital for many appointments!

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    I'm in the public system too (rotunda) and my experiance couldn't have been more different! 12 week booking app, was blood/urine tests weight/height and basically any questions/ concerns you have. Advice on healthy eating, vitamins etc. Then we had a mini scan that lasted just a few mins where they measured baby/ heartbeat confirmed dates and printed off three pics.
    I was very happy with the care.

My second app was for anatomy scan. I wasn't waiting long at all maybe 15 mins.
    The scan was amazing the sonographer(?) spent a long time with us showing every detail, eg kidneys ,spine, face, hands. She checked everything in detail and printed off 5 pics for us.
    We were delighted.

Don't forget if you aren't happy at any stage you can change hospital!
    I'm doing combined gp care plus visiting the domino midwife clinic for appointments so I don't think I will actually be in the hospital for many appointments!
    I have to say I've been very happy so far too. I'm not waiting as long for my appointments as I thought I would and everyone I have met has been lovely.

My one massive fault with CUMH is that they don't do an anatomy/anomoly scan as standard. My detailed scan last week was because I am part of a pre eclampsia study. In my mind it's something that should be offered to every patient in every hospital regardless of whether they are public or private.

But overall I am happy and delighted to be going to my GP for most of my appointments, suits me with work rather than waiting in the hospital.

Drogheda hospital doesn't do an anomaly scan as standard either.
    My friend is not having a scan till 32 weeks!
    It should be done as standard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I'm going semi private at Rotunda and have found them brilliant so far, very kind and reassuring, our anomaly scan is next Weds so really hoping it goes well and that we find out the sex!

We had a scan at our first app, then I had to queue in a&e to get blood pressure checked in main hospital and had another quick scan and then booked an extra appointment with midwife and doc in semi private and had another scan there, have to say all the scans make me feel so much better! Can't wait to get the a ok next week!

CUMH don't officially do a 20 week scan, I think it depends on the day who you get although I think most people do get a scan. But officially, you don't get a scan between 12 and 32 weeks! That's just madness!

Why can't maternity care be standardised across the company, some hospitals are fantastic, others are totally useless. But I guess that's the health system all over!

It's pretty pants but I've got over my initial frustrations from yesterday. Was just a build up of emotion and lack of sleep made it all 100x worse than it actually was and speaking to others they all had the same sort of situation. We've booked a private gender scan for next week though so hopefully we at least get to see a little more and get the relaxing experience I initially wanted.

Hoping that everyone else is doing ok. Amazed at how fast it's all flying by. We're nearly in Feb!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Nicola123

Yeah, Limerick Maternity hospital doesnt offer a 20 week scan either, just 12 weeks and 32 weeks aswell. So hopefully we can book privately for the anomoly scan next week, need a referral letter from a GP for the private clinic in Limerick, Hopefully we can find out the gender aswell.

I'm so lost...
    What travel system /buggy to get! Some of them are crazy prices ! I can't justify spending over a grand on a buggy!
    Really dunno what one to get!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

I'm so lost...
    What travel system /buggy to get! Some of them are crazy prices ! I can't justify spending over a grand on a buggy!
    Really dunno what one to get!

I just posted on the July thread about my current obsession with buggies! Way too many choices, my head is wrecked and I've only started looking :(

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I just posted on the July thread about my current obsession with buggies! Way too many choices, my head is wrecked and I've only started looking :(

I haven't a feckin clue! My other half refuses to pay mad money though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The Beep Twist looks good Sarah Bear and it's €399 so not crazy expensive.

January wrote: »
    The Beep Twist looks good Sarah Bear and it's €399 so not crazy expensive.

Yeah I've seen that. I do like it but it seems like EVERYONE has the baby elegance one!
    I'd say our budget would be under 800€ (At a push)
    I heard good things about bugaboo but they are mad money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Yeah I've seen that. I do like it but it seems like EVERYONE has the baby elegance one!
    I'd say our budget would be under 800€ (At a push)
    I heard good things about bugaboo but they are mad money!

I like the Beep Twist too, I also like the Mamas & Papas Sola which isn't as dear as some of the others.

We want a lime green buggy.. Daddy loves the beep.. My friend has it too.
    It has great reviews I just feel like I want something different!

My sister is giving me her Quiny Buzz, I’m delighted as not only is it one less thing to buy, but it means I don’t have to do any research into travel systems! I am fierce for second guessing myself so I know it would have taken me ages to come to a decision. We had to buy the car seat part and isofix as she had loaned that to someone and not got it back, but we got a good deal on the Maxi Cosi - €119 in Mothercare and got a brand new unused Isofix on Adverts.ie for €65.

Is anyone else in full on nesting mode? I am obsessed with getting the nursery ready. Again, my sister is giving me her cot, and we were able to customise the wardrobe and dresser from our bedroom and turn it into a smaller wardrobe and changing unit for the babies room! Delighted with our DIY, turned out really well. I have the hubby painting it today on his day off and have blackout curtains ready to go up. I can’t wait to get to the ‘nice’ part of decorating – putting stuff up on the walls etc. I was in Mothercare yesterday, don’t know how I left without buying all round me!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

Hey girlies.. Sorry about my absence... All going well with me and bump.. Had my second week scan this week and I get to have another in three weeks time, as a certain somebody wouldn't cooperate and was snoozing on their stomach and radiographer couldn't get a proper measurement of their heart.. It can't come quick enough.. Was such an amazing experience, she pointed out spine, stomach, little legs and fist .. Wish it was now, could look at scan all day..

I have to say as I was reading through all your previous posts and suddenly there was one about the buggies I did let out a big snort.. I've spent the past two days studying them online and not much closer to picking the one I want.. OMG there's just so many to choose from.. One might have one thing I like and then other might be crap on country roads.. I'm at a loss still.. BTW I did see the beep twist for 309 Euro on one site last night (I think someone mentioned that)... Are we allowed mention shop names on these posts? I won't just in case.. But do look around.. I saw one buggy I liked last night for 174 Euro cheaper than in a catalogue I was looking at..

I hope you're all well and you're all enjoying the kicks.. Being kicked has never felt so good lol

I ended up ordering the beep twist in the end lol! I love the bright line green colour and all the others were puke green.
    I'm glad it's ordered now!
    We paid €475 including the isofix.
    So, good value.

We're having OH's mum sort our pram. All we know is we want something with 4 wheels that we can use for a long while.

We also went for a private scan last Saturday and it was amazing. Got to see everything in 3D, heard heartbeat which OH has never done before and found out much to my suprise that we're having a girl :)

I've not had any kicks yet but been told it's normal. Anyone else not feeling much or just me?

• Advertisement

Aw a little girl Bingie! Congrats! How many weeks are you? I'm 23 on Wednesday and I'd say I started feeling proper movement at about 20 weeks. It can depend on the way the placenta is positioned or the way the baby is lying. I find some days he is more active than others. I was a bit worried cos I hadn't felt much in the last 24 hours so got my Doppler out, was laughing as he started kicking the Doppler as I tried to find the heartbeat!

I've read it can be 24 weeks before you feel movement and that it can take longer on your first.

Hey everyone,

We had our anomaly scan on Weds, we're semi private in Rotunda but they gave it to us in the private suite cause it was free, very swish!

The scan was amazing, the detail was so incredible but it's nervewracking because you're watching them measure and check everything on the baby and you just want good news, luckily it was good news!

We also found out we're having a boy, so happy, it's our first and honestly we had no preference but now it's lovely being able to plan and seems more real being able to imagine him as a little chap now!

Also on a good note my blood pressure has got even better and was 120/78 so I'm keeping up with the fitness and weight loss to try and keep as good as I can!

Ncmc I had one of those days last week where I got no movement at all, got totally freaked out as my niece had jumped on me the night before, thankfully after breakfast got a few big kicks..

I've really got to learn out to deal with the kicks better, I keep jumping or making a grunting sound when I get them, which when you're in work or in company of strangers isn't good lol.. Also if you're in the company of those bloody bump touchers who automatically think they've a right to reach out and grab your stomach..

That's cool about you guys finding out what you're having.. I'm starting to think I might find out now but not sure if it just cause I can't wait for surprise.. just like when I used to search the house for Christmas presents when I was small.. Lol.. Aaarrgggh I don't know what to do..

23 weeks on Wednesday too.. Time is flying along..

I'm 22 weeks today and still not really getting anything. Get odd flutters but they're very rare and no set pattern as to when they will be. Have a bit of extra padding though and the dr said something about placenta being on top of the baby so not sure if that will affect it at all. Not too worried at the moment just would be nice as people keep asking about it.

Just keep thinking only 18 weeks to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

Hi bingie,
    I'm same as you, 22 weeks yesterday. I have an anterior placenta too but last week the flutters started and I suppose I notice them more now. People had been driving me mad asking if I felt anything.. so hold in there :) Its nice to see the countdown get under 20 weeks isnt it? My OH is going mad trying to feel the mini kicks but i've lots of extra padding and he cant feel anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Hey everyone, sorry haven't been on here in ages! Lovely to read your updates and especially hearing if it's a boy or girl <3

We were so undecided if we wanted to know the gender or not. Had our 20wk anomaly scan and decided on the day to find out but keep it to ourselves...and then the little fecker had the legs totally crossed over so we're still none the wiser! They want us back for another scan at 24wks to get a clearer image of the heart so should find out then.

Image wasn't as clear as they'd like because I have a lot of scar tissue from a pelvic surgeries, carrying extra weight and I had an empty bladder (NOT MY FAULT! Was in early and checked in at maternity reception and was told to give urine sample which I thought was weird as I was told to come in with full bladder and I told them I was in for scan, argh!) Anyway, it's made me realize how badly I DO want to know the gender and it'll be nice to be able to say our little girl or boy :-)

Felt first movements at 18 weeks, very light butterfly flutters which now at 22wks have progressed to kung fu like kicks! Mostly in the evenings after work and at night when I'm trying to sleep but it's very reassuring. OH felt it for the first time this week, was so excited for him because he's always asking how many movements today and what does it feel like :-)

How are your bumps coming along? Mine's really showing the last 2/3wks. Are you all noticeably pregnant now? So so excited, can't wait for June!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Oh and on the buggy front, my head was absolutely wrecked with all the choice! Even trying to figure out what we would actually need from a buggy was hard. Wanted something light, durable, handy to maneuver and easy to put up and down.

We decided on the Baby Jogger City Mini GT for €359. Also had to buy car seat, easy base, adapters and raincover. Came to €700 all in but himselfs mother insisted on paying for the buggy itself. Delighted with it. I was sold at 1.15 :D

Evening! Yeah my bump really starting to get noticeable in past week.. Everyone had kept saying to me "once you hit 5 months you'll know all about it.. " didn't really get it til I seemed to just expand over night.. Starting to feel really dumpy already, and a lot more expanding to go!! Didn't help that my male neighbor commented on my weight gain and OH said my @Ss had gotten bigger.. You can always rely on a bloke to make you feel better..

How is everyone sleeping these days? I'm having very restless nights recently.. Had been sleeping fine on the left side for past five months, but recently with the extra weight gain I just get comfy, and end up sleeping on back (which apparently isn't recommended ) and I'm ending up with awful back pain in morning.. Went and bought one of those v pillows today so really hoping that'll help tonight. Has anyone experienced this or has anyone any tips?? I'll crack tonight if I don't sleep.. Maybe I should start getting used to that though.. Eek!!

Hope everyone doing well.. Magenta, you've got me thinking again now about if we going to find out sex of baby again next week.. Decisions decisions...

I'm 6 months pregnant tomorrow !!! Can't believe it

• Advertisement

Hey all,

Hope everyone has a nice Valentine's planned this week!

We're off to a 5 star in Cork and I'm getting a mummy to be massage, cant wait!

Was just wondering if anyone else was suffering with hemorrhoids yet?

I went to the bathroom yesterday morning and got an awful fright when I saw a fair amount of blood and completely panicked! Fiance calmed me down and looked it up and appears to be hemorrhoids which is very normal around this time even though I hadn't felt any pain.

Going to go to the doc this week to be checked but glad it was something normal, pregnancy can make you so anxious about everything!:(

Advertisement