Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviate Launcher- Thoughts and opinions Thread

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I can't see any way to add a new category...can this be done? Most of the categories don't really describe what I need, and I'd like to have one called "photography" for example.

Click the cog at the top right of the collections screen. There's a list of categories you can add in there, there doesnt seem to be a way to add custom ones at the minute, would be good if they added it

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I still have it since I installed over a month ago. Sticking with it - I like the cleanness.

I wish there was more customisation though. Especially hiding apps from the main app list and full customisation of categories (rather than random suggestions of apps the developers think we want).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

threein99 wrote: »
    Click the cog at the top right of the collections screen. There's a list of categories you can add in there, there doesnt seem to be a way to add custom ones at the minute, would be good if they added it

Yes, I've seen that. But I mean can you add a new category, such as Photography, that is not on that list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Yes, I've seen that. But I mean can you add a new category, such as Photography, that is not on that list.

Not at the moment, but you would imagine a feature like that is a must when the full version is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,822 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The battery issues I had settled down and it has been fine since. I'm still liking it. I rarely ever used widgets anyway so they are no loss to me.

Wonder how long it will be before they release the full version.

• Advertisement

It was announced at CES that they were bought out by Yahoo...

http://www.androidguys.com/2014/01/07/yahoo-acquires-aviate-promises-fold-android-experience/

If you don't have it, you can use the code "YAHOO." for a beta invite (first 25,000).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Mr E wrote: »

http://www.androidguys.com/2014/01/07/yahoo-acquires-aviate-promises-fold-android-experience/

If you don't have it, you can use the code "YAHOO." for a beta invite (first 25,000).

Just waiting for it to start going downhill....

They bought Xobni (Outlook Inbox Search Engine) and trashed it.
    I don't have much faith in the future of Aviate.

http://blog.xobni.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Eeewwwww, yuk. The same Yahoo that tried to force me watch an ad before showing me a news vid. No thanks!!

They bought and scrapped Astrid too. They don't have a good history with stuff like this. It doesn't bode well.

• Advertisement

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I tried this originally, but removed it. Trying it again now. For some reason the stock little green smiley says I've 2 unread texts, which I don't, and I updated Aviate today. Hmm. Tried to restart to the phone just in case. Will have to play around with launcher itself some more to see if it's worth keeping (have watched a video or two about it) - I'm not much of a data or wifi user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Hell Ram

Don't get the love for Aviate. I found it distinctly average and fugly.

I loved it on my Xperia Ray. I think it suits the smaller screen.

I put it on my M8 and didn't like it so I removed it again.

It was good while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I was always changing launchers but Aviate is the one I've settled on for the last 6 months or more. Very little change since yahoo bought them which is probably a good thing.

I've grown tired of the drab stock look which always lead me to be constantly tweaking and changing so Aviate fits the bill.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Aviate got a great update today - a complete UI refresh.

The pop down panel (where you saw the location-sensitive stuff in the previous version) is now a screen on its own, and much more useful than it was - you can fit full widgets on it.

The app list is now a hidden panel to the right of collections. There is a quickdial panel (swipe up from bottom) where you see 4 favourites and the last 4 calls.

Looks great!

Actually it's now out of beta and available for all. Worth a shot if you're looking to freshen up your phone. I've had this since it was an invite-only beta (for 8 months), and haven't looked back.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tul.aviate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Actually it's now out of beta and available for all. Worth a shot if you're looking to freshen up your phone. I've had this since it was an invite-only beta (for 8 months), and haven't looked back.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tul.aviate

What's it like on battery? I usually leave location services off, so would that take away from the experience much?

Location services will help you get the most out of it, but you can set your location manually if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think I actually preferred it before the update. Still not enough categories.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

I didn't bother with the beta after getting my M8 but I downloaded this and it looks very nice!
    Wish I could hide apps in the A-Z section though.

I just couldn't take to it on my M8. Loved it on the SE Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Daverk

You can use Blinkfeed with Nova Launcher pro on htc one m8

Advertisement