Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviate Launcher- Thoughts and opinions Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Quite like the launcher, something a little different. Easy to use and everything moving nice and quickly. Will be interesting to see where the developers go with it, what improvements they will bring down the line. Could prove quite successful, they have built the hype very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Been using it for a week now and haven't noticed much effect on battery life on the Nexus 4. Either Aviate is optimised for the Nexus 4 or some of you have other apps that are draining battery.

Only complaint I have right now about it is that the location awareness is rarely ever right. Despite having set my home and work places it consistently ignores them in favour of whatever else is nearby. Seems pretty random too, could be in a location for hours and then the launcher decides I've moved somewhere else. Not sure if it's an Aviate bug or a limitation of the technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Was good on battery for the weekend where I didn't go out anywhere but come Monday and drive to work, 20% gone by 11am.

Dont think I'll be hanging on, maybe next update.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I went to Subway for lunch, and it automatically created a "Subway" space with a link to the Subway loyalty app (which I already had installed).

Pretty clever....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Used it for a few days, got a little frustrated with it and uninstalled until it comes out of beta.

Always getting errors and force closes when trying to add/remove widgets and found it drained the battery more than normal, probably to do with all the location stuff. And that's from someone with a 4400mah extended battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I had my phone charged this morning and It's down to 80% already and I haven't done one thing with it today. There's definitely something consuming battery in the launcher. I love how it looks so I'm hoping they can improve on this when they launch it properly.

Unless you have some sort of toggle widget installed, it's not easy to tell if you have both mobile data and wifi active (a real battery drainer).

I'm getting about a day between charges with moderate use.

Mr E wrote: »
    Unless you have some sort of toggle widget installed, it's not easy to tell if you have both mobile data and wifi active (a real battery drainer).

I have 1Tap Quick Bar but I've had that for ages. I rarely ever connect to mobile data and only connect to wi-fi a couple of times a day and sometimes not at all. Bluetooth is always on so it connects to the handsfree in my car.
    I recently got three and a half days out of my battery on the stock launcher.

I have google's location service on so I'll turn that off tomorrow and compare it again.

At the moment it's on 55%. Cell standby is 37% and phone idle is 28% blue tooth is 11% and screen is 11%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Mr E wrote: »

Power toggle is your friend here, goes into the notification bar.
    I can see this type of launcher being the stock launcher in the future, most people I see on Android don't set up their homescreens efficiency and generally tend to be a weird array of apps with no widgets in sight. Those sort of users would benefit greatly from using this launcher.

Yep, I have Power Toggle installed myself. My suggestion was for others with battery issues. I have WiFi on all day, and Location Services turned on, and still get 24 hours out of my battery.

• Advertisement

There's just been an update so hopefully that'll improve the battery life for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Since the latest update I'm not getting updates on what's nearby on the homes screen anymore.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

I find that its hard see much on a small 3.5 inch screen. Got it on my Nexus 4 and it was better. In my mind, the best alternative launcher would be a combination of Aviate and Everything Home. Everything Home folders set up is really clean and great visuals. The location awareness of Aviate is good but the app is less visually attractive. It will improve overtime, hopefully with folder setup more akin to Everything Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

hi all,

looking for an invite if there are any spare

are the invites linked to the actual email address?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

hi all,

thanks

Pm me your email and and I'll send you an invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

hi all,

thanks

Ant chance we can keep the invites to the other thread?

I changed back to Nova launcher the other day but after 5 minutes use I came back to Aviate.

I really like it,I think its the simplicity of the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Kev. wrote: »
    Ant chance we can keep the invites to the other thread?

I changed back to Nova launcher the other day but after 5 minutes use I came back to Aviate.

I really like it,I think its the simplicity of the app.

Yep I remember returning to stock after two days and feeling like 'oh, yeah, stock doesn't look all that wonderful now'
    my battery is lasting longer now but I would like to return to Aviate when they fix some things.

My battery has returned to normal after turning it off and on again. :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Have it a week and liked it.
    However the fact it kept going to a hotel home screen when I was at work was annoying. (I work across the road from one)
    No way to ignore it...

Also I missed blinkfeed...

The tips that it offers for my local town are priceless and 100% spot on.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if it was the launchers fault, but my battery was emptying out in nearly an hour yesterday, with little or no activity. Restarted the phone and it was grand. Never had it happen with the stock launcher.

I really like it though. Simplifies the hell out of it.

Anyone use this with a tablet?

Anyone use this with a tablet?

Gave it a go on the nexus 7. It sticks in portrait mode. Bit of a nuisance. Probably a way to take it off, but i reverted to the stock launcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Has anyone stuck with this for the month or so that it's been out? I gave up quickly as it seemed to be draining the battery, but installed it again this evening to give it another go in case updates have fixed the battery issue.

Any current thoughts on it?

Has anyone stuck with this for the month or so that it's been out? I gave up quickly as it seemed to be draining the battery, but installed it again this evening to give it another go in case updates have fixed the battery issue.

Any current thoughts on it?

I have.
    I haven't noticed any major draining of the battery since the last update.
    Really love the layout of the launcher, it's simplicity and efficiency.
    Will stick with it for another while until I get rid of my nexus 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Been using it a week now and I love it, few little bugs that need ironing out but hopefully they sort it. Anyone got any invites?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I'd say I used it for about a month,I only got rid of it yesterday.

I'm back to nova and to be honest I missed it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Been using it for the last month and have installed it on my Nexus 5 on which it works quite well.

Other than a few minor bug fixes there has been little activity from the developers. I'm wondering where they're going with this launcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

I liked it a lot at first, but then I got a little bored of it.

It's a good idea. I felt it was a little boring looking though. I hate Android stock icons.

I didn't suffer any drop in battery performance...for the 4 days I used it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I can't see any way to add a new category...can this be done? Most of the categories don't really describe what I need, and I'd like to have one called "photography" for example.

Advertisement