Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just one more go...

Options
  • 16-10-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭

So just to make myself feel better can anyone please confirm I'm not the only one who has the problem of just having a quick go of something at like 10pm only to end up turning it off at 3 or 4 in the morning?

What's your worst case of "Ah sure I'll just play to the next save" or "Sure just one more match" which ends up being repeated for the next few hours?

I remember Prince of Persia - Sands of Time was bad for this with the save points being so close together and just wanting to get to the next save point, then when you save you decide to just play for a few seconds more to see what the next room is like, decide you've come too far to have to go back to the save point and so decide to keep going to the next save point. Rinse and repeat.

Then there are the times where you know you're near the end of the game so decide to keep going only for the end to be further away than you thought but you keep telling yourself there's not much sense turning it off now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Civ IV was a curse for that 1 more turn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

GTAV is basically this for me at the moment.

Save the game.

"Ok ill have one rampage and turn off when I die"

Die 5 minutes later.

"One more quick bash then I'll head off"

Many hours later, turn off the console!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

All Civ games that I played would always end up in the middle of the night with "I should really be going to bed now, but first I will take Washington and burn the fecking thing to the ground!!!"

Diablo 1,2 and 3. Just one more run. Just one more Elite. Ah sure, I will go to sleep when after next legendary drop.

EVE online - ah sure, just one more Full Macky run and Ill go to bed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Battlefield 2 - "Shur one more map, it's most likely a quick one" OH JESUS I'VE TO GET UP FOR WORK IN 5 HOURS

Oblivion - "Shur, I'll just have a bit of a look at the next quest. Just to the location, just for a gawk" OH JESUS I'VE TO GET UP FOR WORK IN 4 HOURS

Borderlands - "Shur, I'll just go on another bit. What harm" Oh JESUS I've to be up for work in 3 HOURS

Skyrim - "I'll just start the next quest, it'll all be set up then for the next time I play" - Oh **** work.

I'm much better now, after a good few late arrivals into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Silverfish wrote: »
    Battlefield 2 - "Shur one more map, it's most likely a quick one" OH JESUS I'VE TO GET UP FOR WORK IN 5 HOURS

Oblivion - "Shur, I'll just have a bit of a look at the next quest. Just to the location, just for a gawk" OH JESUS I'VE TO GET UP FOR WORK IN 4 HOURS

Borderlands - "Shur, I'll just go on another bit. What harm" Oh JESUS I've to be up for work in 3 HOURS

Skyrim - "I'll just start the next quest, it'll all be set up then for the next time I play" - Oh **** work.

I'm much better now, after a good few late arrivals into work.

I think you could work that into a version of Larry Miller's "5 Levels of Drinking" (Very funny if you haven't seen it).

As long as I get 5 hours sleep, I'm cool..... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Lately Pokemon X played so long can't get the music outta my head >.<

Looks at clock 4pm oh I'll just catch a few mons , Looks at clock 1am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Totally like that, especially with GTA5 and before that The Last of Us. Also when I was watching breaking bad on Netflix it was a case of this too.

Was up till 5 one night playing GTA and most of that was just driving around killing people ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭ninja 12

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So just to make myself feel better can anyone please confirm I'm not the only one who has the problem of just having a quick go of something at like 10pm only to end up turning it off at 3 or 4 in the morning?

What's your worst case of "Ah sure I'll just play to the next save" or "Sure just one more match" which ends up being repeated for the next few hours?

I remember Prince of Persia - Sands of Time was bad for this with the save points being so close together and just wanting to get to the next save point, then when you save you decide to just play for a few seconds more to see what the next room is like, decide you've come too far to have to go back to the save point and so decide to keep going to the next save point. Rinse and repeat.

Then there are the times where you know you're near the end of the game so decide to keep going only for the end to be further away than you thought but you keep telling yourself there's not much sense turning it off now.

If I can't sleep , sometimes I'll get up and say to myself " I'll play for about an hour or so " , put on the headphones ( so I don't wake the other half ) and end up going to bed at 3 or 4 .

A couple of times I lost all track of time and next thing I notice it's getting bright out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Today it's been hearthstone: heroes of Warcraft and I don't know why. I started playing at 2 for 'an hour' to see what it was like, just finished. I'm awful at it but I want more.

And an obvious mention goes to any football manager, I'll just play until Christmas, I'll just play until the transfer window, I'll just play and see if I can buy anyone, I'll just play 1 game with my new striker to see if he's any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Tony Hawk's pro skater. Those 2 minute bursts made it so easy to say "ah sure just one more go".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Any of the Civilization or Football Manager games are generally the worst for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Civ IV was a curse for that 1 more turn

Civ2 for me. It was 1996, I was supposed to be studying for my Leaving cert!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Any of the Civilization or Football Manager games are generally the worst for me.

For me its any management game. I think its because there is no obvious natural end point. There is no level to finish. The game just continues with until you choose some arbritary time to stop playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,051 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bought Civ 5 the other day.... 1 more turn, just 1 more turn. fcuk. DIE YOU HUNS, YOU TOO ENGLISH, AND YOU ROMANS WON'T GET OFF LIGHTLY! 1 more turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ah, glad to know I'm not the only one then. :D

Even games like solitaire or minesweeper get me. "Sure just one more game" "Ah crap, lost that game already" "That doesn't count"

I think we're just fooling ourselves really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Colonisation was the first game where one more go turned into time to get up for me. And then I got home from college that night and fired it up again. Damn that Continental Congress!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Dark Souls - Ah I'l just beat this boss then turn it off, DIE ,DIE ,DIE ,DIE ,DIE ,DIE etc..... dont like giving up, and new area just wowed me so much I had to explour :D often spent all nighters just repeating areas to level up ha.

Rome Total war - ah just 5 more turns, ah I'l take over this town then call it a night. Never works out how I want it too. Their should be a clinic for people like us, its an addiction ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

For me I decide I need to turn the console or PC off as it's time for bed, so I need to get to the next save point or checkpoint.
    Then the real trying and perseverance kicks in..... Still finishes way too late

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Hotline Miami

The just one more go is strong with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Civilization V. Turn it on at 10pm for a few quick turns, look at the time half an hour later and realise it's 6am. Again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,101 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I played around ten hours of Civ V over two evenings when I first installed it: mightn't sound like much, but that's crazy excessive for me. I actually haven't been able to return to it, since I know I'll get consumed by it and alas do not have the time to do that :(

Back in the day, THPS, definitely. These days, I only really go 'one more credit' when I'm really into a shmup, but haven't been playing them much over the last years. I'm actually really good at stopping after two hours or so of play. Usually feel satisfied then, even with really great games,

Staying up way too late watching oddities of world cinema, on the other hand, is my unshakeable vice along the lines of 'one more go...'

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Spelunky and the Bit Trip Runner games are two that I have become obsessed with when playing.
    Both get you back into the game so quick, it's hard to resist the 'Just one more game'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Trials on the 360 a real, almost f**king had it game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Around xmas last year I find my old PS1 Command and Conquer game, and thought I'd have a quick skirmish around 10/11pm. Of course, after the battle began, I couldn't just put out down. I believe iut was around 4am when it ended.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Civ 5 - the next turn my army shall take the the enemy capital, next turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I'm getting Civ v tomorrow, sounds great!
    Battlefield 3. Sure just 1 more round, oh it has a thousand tickets and will take an hour to finish, not to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrBizzles

Wasted so much time, been late for meetings, skipped meals etc etc all because of COD & not knowing when enough is enough & when to put the controller down & go to bed..one more game is always a good idea at the time, sure whats 10 more mins like??? Wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Finished playing through Earthbound a few days ago...brought "One more go" to an all new level that game did :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Football and championship manager back in the day. Ah sure it's only 10 o'clock on a Friday night, I'll play one more match...... What??? It's 7am Monday, how the hell did that happen?

It was a curse because I always said that if I was on a run of wins I didn't want to break that but if I lost a match then I wanted to ensure I won before saving and turning it off.

And the new one is out in 2 weeks :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I hate civ it a game that i seem to need to play in 24 hour blocks (that has happen too:o) so i dont play it now because of it

The whole start playing around 6pm a few turns later its 8am and time to go to work is an absolute baastard

Advertisement