Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

324193.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A green parrot that sings "hail marys" :)
    For a prank, I'd like to put that parrot on display in the window of an east Belfast pet shop, and see what the reaction is.

• Moderators Posts: 51,730 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_nd2cb5O9ax1r7gbhio1_500.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

324279.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

h8B157363

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"Maybe I didn't think this through all the way ..?"

10-03-2014.jpg

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

324402.jpg

324403.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Worztron wrote: »
    324402.jpg

We all knew this. Which is why Irish women are considered the most modest dressing women on the planet. (If you don't believe me check out Temple Bar of a Friday night). Irish men are consequently devoted to their women and there are no known cases of infidelity or adultery in Irish society, which leads to NO earthquakes!

Now that's how to do science!

Take that, atheists!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Pherekydes wrote: »
    We all knew this. Which is why Irish women are considered the most modest dressing women on the planet. (If you don't believe me check out Temple Bar of a Friday night). Irish men are consequently devoted to their women and there are no known cases of infidelity or adultery in Irish society, which leads to NO earthquakes!

Now that's how to do science!

Take that, atheists!
    But would that not mean Copper's should be a hotspot for seismic activity?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

MrPudding wrote: »
    But would that not mean Copper's should be a hotspot for seismic activity?

MrP

Those country girls could certainly rock your world....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Allah, who Admiral Ackbar.

Allah_Ackbar.jpg

324486.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Take that, atheists!

Ow, my groin. Unnnnkh!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,246 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

324532.jpg

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

324554.jpg

tumblr_nd60mkvcPZ1smpm6vo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_nd5zsk4npG1raw1oio1_500.gif
    tumblr_nd5vp8rPPW1raw1oio1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

So an Ayatollah in Iran has said that high speed internet access is (at least in part) un-Islamic (because it lets people access things their little brains can't handle, donchaknow). However the thing that caught my attention in the article was the following:
    [The AyaTollah] wrote that authorities should consult with the Supreme Council of Cyberspace (SCC), which formulates and oversees Iran's Internet policies including its tough online censorship.

Iran has a Supreme Council of Cyberspace. That is the greatest name for any governing body ever. I would love to work there just so I could tell people I worked there :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Supreme Council of Cyberspace.
    What a great name!

http://www.iranmediaresearch.org/en/blog/227/13/04/08/1323

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Iran has a Supreme Council of Cyberspace.

I really hope the people who do work there are called the Elders of the Internet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

1024264.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    ..for the past 23 years the Ayatollah has been active and influential in the digital communications sector, exercising a special interest in managing and monitoring cyber space...
    Purely for research reasons of course. And the women are all wearing burkas on the "special interest" websites he likes to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

kylith wrote: »
    1024264.jpg

In b4, "I see the beauty of the world everyday."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

bnt wrote: »
    "Maybe I didn't think this through all the way ..?"

10-03-2014.jpg

One question I've always had about that is how come there's no mention in the Bible of the Hebrews revolting? You've got a slave race that is claimed to be roughly equal in population size to their oppressors and the Pharaoh orders their children killed...and yet the Hebrew parents do nothing. So either
    A) There was no enslavement of an entire race
    B) The Hebrews just didn't care about their children
    C) They did revolt but for some reason, this event was deemed so insignificant that it wasn't worthy of mention
    D) The Egyptians didn't go out and kill all of their children

• Registered Users Posts: 34,246 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maybe this was a factor when Ireland was rated one of the most islam-friendly countries in the world?? It wasn't blasphemy, it was broadband!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

324702.gif

tumblr_nd7we3eR0b1r7gbhio1_500.jpg

tumblr_nd7hx7ypr41tjzng1o1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    One question I've always had about that is how come there's no mention in the Bible of the Hebrews revolting? You've got a slave race that is claimed to be roughly equal in population size to their oppressors and the Pharaoh orders their children killed...and yet the Hebrew parents do nothing. So either
    A) There was no enslavement of an entire race
    B) The Hebrews just didn't care about their children
    C) They did revolt but for some reason, this event was deemed so insignificant that it wasn't worthy of mention
    D) The Egyptians didn't go out and kill all of their children

A) is the correct option here, for three reasons. 1) There is no record of any Jewish slaves in Egypt other than the mythology of the bible, 2) The "promised land" they were "lead to" (the fact that the Jews were a Canaanite tribe who beat up on their neighbours, and that the Jewish elders wanted legitimation for this, and the fact that yhwh was originally a minor god in the Canaanite pantheion, is the reason for the whole Moses mythos) was at the timeframe the story was set in an Egyptian possession
    Hitt_Egypt_Perseus.png
    and finally 3) even if there were Jewish slaves in Egypt during the pyramid building events (there probably were some) they were very unlikely to be working on the pyramids themselves, the reason being that there was little to no slave labour at the pyramid sites, most of the work needing skilled labour, which is kind of hard to get out of slaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I really hope the people who do work there are called the Elders of the Internet...

Would they be superior or inferior to Zaph as Commander of the Internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Orion wrote: »
    Would they be superior or inferior to Zaph as Commander of the Internet

Well, as commander, his decision in the end is the final one. The Elders would be a think-tank, advisory committee, emeritus leader type of thing.

Advertisement