Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

looksee wrote: »
    I was laughing along with them, though I hadn't a clue what they were saying!

I think I got it all - a masterclass in Irish story telling really. The dryness of the delivery of some of them "This is meant to be true. I don't know what you'd be laughing at?" and the cracking up afterwards :D Loved it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

12642907_1163138610393258_114013479056661762_n.jpg?oh=df3efbd3e9274b682e4d27e841a09a59&oe=5736FF5B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

tumblr_ngzo0nOckq1tg41ozo1_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

AstraMonti wrote: »
    tumblr_ngzo0nOckq1tg41ozo1_250.gif

My sister and my mother have a tradition of buying me religious gifts for Christmas. A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to get that book and a 30 cm tall glittered covered, silver Jesus money box. The money. Of being possibly the tackiest thing I have ever received. Might post a pick of it later...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 28,214 ✭✭✭✭looksee

MrPudding wrote: »
    My sister and my mother have a tradition of buying me religious gifts for Christmas. A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to get that book and a 30 cm tall glittered covered, silver Jesus money box. The money. Of being possibly the tackiest thing I have ever received. Might post a pick of it later...

MrP

Are they being ironic or funny, or do they actually think you will like them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MrP

You'd think something like that could be tacky, but that sounds pure class :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

376517.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Are they being ironic or funny, or do they actually think you will like them?

Irony of the purest quality.

MrP

Ah, that's ok so. :D

Ah, that's ok so. :D

SO here we have this year's present, a lovely t-shirt (sorry about the stains, I have an eating problem...) pictured with the afore mentioned money box. As A treat, have a close up of jesus.

You are welcome.

MrP

• Advertisement

SO here we have this year's present, a lovely t-shirt (sorry about the stains, I have an eating problem...) pictured with the afore mentioned money box. As A treat, have a close up of jesus.

Damn, I can't see them and from the description they sound just about my level of humour at this hour. Can anyone else open attachments yet since the DDOS attack?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Nope. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Same here, you might as well try an image hosting site like Imgur until the attachments are sorted out.

7449387dmg.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can always rely on SMBC for a giggle;

1454342925-20160201.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

giphy.gif

2886942gmm.jpg

2088669moo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

A mother tried to have her child's PPS number changed on religious grounds, as it contained '666'.
    The attempt failed - Joan Burtan said a PPS number can only be changed in extraordinary circumstances - i.e. if i had been compromised.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/202213/Limerick-mum-s-plea-to-change.html

Niska wrote: »
    A mother tried to have her child's PPS number changed on religious grounds, as it contained '666'.
    The attempt failed - Joan Burtan said a PPS number can only be changed in extraordinary circumstances - i.e. if i had been compromised.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/202213/Limerick-mum-s-plea-to-change.html

Ha, brilliant. Mine has 666 in it too. I always love hearing the sharp intake of breath on the other end of the phone as some official tries to work out if I'm taking the p or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

irejectyourreality_large.gif

...said every theist everywhere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I was reading up on Easter ideas for kids and came across some bonkers religious indoctrination stuff. I particularly liked all the people who made Easter advent calendars specifically so that their children could learn a little piece of the Jesus Easter story each day but still called them "Easter Advent" calendars. I was even more amused by the mothers who made their kids Easter playsets, where they made little dolls of all the characters in the story. Not considering that unlike nativity sets, which at least represent a new family and people who are happily bringing them gifts, an Easter playset consists of dolls that represent 3 men being executed horribly, the grieving family of one of the men and the soldiers carrying out the torture and murder. So not quite so appropriate for a 3 year old.

But my absolute favourite was Resurrection Cookies. A family craft for Easter Saturday where children get to make cookies while being shown how each ingredient and cooking action is similar to Jesus' death and resurrection, complete with bible readings for every stage. So the kids can smash nuts and then learn that's how the Romans beat Jesus, then hear John 19:1-3. And at the end when the children learn they have to wait until tomorrow for cookies, they are told they are feeling similar despair to that of Jesus' loved ones when he was entombed, John 16:20-22. They even get to hear bible passages on Easter morning while they eat the damn things.
    http://www.lemonademakinmama.com/2011/04/resurrection-cookies-recipe.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LemonadeMakinMama+%28Lemonade+Makin%27+Mama%29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

YC41uX3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

[QUOTE=iguana;98613670
    But my absolute favourite was Resurrection Cookies. A family craft for Easter Saturday where children get to make cookies while being shown how each ingredient and cooking action is similar to Jesus' death and resurrection, complete with bible readings for every stage. So the kids can smash nuts and then learn that's how the Romans beat Jesus, then hear John 19:1-3. And at the end when the children learn they have to wait until tomorrow for cookies, they are told they are feeling similar despair to that of Jesus' loved ones when he was entombed, John 16:20-22. They even get to hear bible passages on Easter morning while they eat the damn things.
    http://www.lemonademakinmama.com/2011/04/resurrection-cookies-recipe.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LemonadeMakinMama+%28Lemonade+Makin%27+Mama%29[/QUOTE]

Some kids really would be better off in care!
    Shrap wrote: »
    Ha, brilliant. Mine has 666 in it too. I always love hearing the sharp intake of breath on the other end of the phone as some official tries to work out if I'm taking the p or not.

Not to worry, I hear Willie O'Dea is on the case.
    I wonder is this the same Willie O'Dea, who as a government minister swore upon a "holy bible" in court and then proceeded to lie through his teeth.

One day The Lord came to Adam to pass on some news. "I've got some good news and some bad news," The Lord told him.

Adam looked at The Lord and said, "Well, give me the good news first."
    Smiling, The Lord explained, "I've got two new organs for you, one is called a brain. It will allow you to be very intelligent, create new things, and have intelligent conversations with Eve."
    "Wonderful!" Adam said. "Thank you. What is the second organ?"
    "The other organ," God continued, "is called a penis. It will allow you to reproduce your now intelligent life form and populate this planet. Eve will be very happy that you now have this organ to give her children."
    Adam, very excited, exclaimed, "These are great gifts you have given to me. What could possibly be bad news after such great tidings?"
    The Lord looked upon Adam and said with great sorrow, "The bad news is that when I created you, I only gave you enough blood to operate one of these organs at a time...."

Src: http://www.jumbojoke.com/good_news_bad_news.html

6858529opw.jpg

Religion 'best buys' starts at around 9.30

7236948gun.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Always preferred this touching picture

1TEAMALps8mnweaqDHLYj2DK_500.png

• Advertisement

1300682wvi.jpg

Advertisement