Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIKE ARE NATIVE - IFI

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

We all know that fisheries have, and still do, remove pike from "game" fisheries. But you originally stated you believe that pike had been "eradicated to preserve game fish", and that this was the reason they were not present in some fisheries. That's very different from managing pike numbers, which is all that fisheries can do. It is virtually impossible to eradicate pike from a large waterbody, which is what you suggested had been done. I challenged you to name any of the waterbodies where you claimed pike had been eradicated and you haven't been able to do so. The fact is pike have not been eradicated or cleared successfully from any large fishery in Ireland by human interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

breghall wrote: »
    So can i ask them to stock up the Slaney then, and save me travelling for miles to do some piking :):P

They have always been present in the Slaney in very low numbers. Rathvilly and Baltinglass are the only places I've seen or heard of pike. They are more numerous in the Dereen.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

i always found it hard to believe that pike were native in the uk and the states yet failed to colonise ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Should the same be said for Sea Eagles or Red Kites? If pike are native to Ireland who knows if they are now merely lost to some areas.

The boundaries of an ecosystem for a bird are fundamentally diferent in scope to the boundaries of an ecosystem of a fish.

you can indeed say that introducing a sea eagle is a reaonable act because it is conceivable that it can naturally move to any point of the island and in indeed thrive /breed in most of it.

you cannot say the same for a pike , a perch , a trout etc. its indifferent whether its a pike or a perch or a trout. there movement is constrained to there watershed and so water systems are distinct ecosystems.

its Zoology 101 to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Budawanny wrote: »
    The boundaries of an ecosystem for a bird are fundamentally diferent in scope to the boundaries of an ecosystem of a fish.

you can indeed say that introducing a sea eagle is a reaonable act because it is conceivable that it can naturally move to any point of the island and in indeed thrive /breed in most of it.

you cannot say the same for a pike , a perch , a trout etc. its indifferent whether its a pike or a perch or a trout. there movement is constrained to there watershed and so water systems are distinct ecosystems.

its Zoology 101 to be honest.

I agree with what you say (PhD in Zoology actually) but my point was in relation to reintroduction of pike to systems where they were native but are now extinct to that area. If you want to take your zoology 101 To it's limits you could argue that the birds could once again make their way to Ireland naturally due to their mobility.
    Anyway, not what the point was supposed to be illustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

i always found it hard to believe that pike were native in the uk and the states yet failed to colonise ireland?

I'm completely open to correction (and don't mean to sound smart) but as far as I know Barbel is native to the UK yet we have no native Barbel here. Odd I know, but I guess it does happen.

There are many species native to the UK that never made it to Ireland. Look up island biogeography, an island isolated from a mainland or bigger island will typically have fewer species. We pretty much have fewer species of every group than the UK, and fewer again than mainland Europe.

Zzippy wrote: »
    There are many species native to the UK that never made it to Ireland. Look up island biogeography, an island isolated from a mainland or bigger island will typically have fewer species. We pretty much have fewer species of every group than the UK, and fewer again than mainland Europe.

sorry if i came across as stupid, i know fish species such as grayling exist in the uk and state side. i was just meaning i was more amazed that these fish are absent from ireland yet appear next door in the uk and across the pond.

sorry if i came across as stupid, i know fish species such as grayling exist in the uk and state side. i was just meaning i was more amazed that these fish are absent from ireland yet appear next door in the uk and across the pond.

Not stupid at all. Unless you studied zoology or ecology you wouldn't have even heard of island biogeography. I did study those subjects and I still learn stuff all the time on these boards...

i have a degree an marine and freshwater biology and one in marine science. i understand the concept i am just amazed by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

J. Ramone wrote: »
    They have always been present in the Slaney in very low numbers. Rathvilly and Baltinglass are the only places I've seen or heard of pike. They are more numerous in the Dereen.

Are you sure of this ?? is so why haven't they been found further down river in the Slaney then over the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

What's the story with Muskie?
    Were they always native to the Americas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I believe so.
    Im pretty sure pike and muskies are native to north america

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are not native to all the united states.
    This from the US government-
    Native Range: St. Lawrence River-Great Lakes, Hudson (Red River), and Mississippi River basins, from Quebec to southeastern Manitoba; south in the Appalachians to Georgia and in the west to Iowa (Page and Burr 1991). Crossman (1978) gave a distribution map. Although never reported from Mississippi, considering the fact that muskellunge are (or were) native to the main Tennessee River, the species almost certainly historically entered the extreme northeastern part of that state (Gilbert, personal communication).

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

breghall wrote: »
    Are you sure of this ?? is so why haven't they been found further down river in the Slaney then over the years?

100%, I notice the scientist has a specific request for samples from the Slaney. There was a nice example of a Slaney Pike caught in Baltinglass on display in Fentons' Pub(or whatever its known as now, hopefully it's equally as hospitable) in the Glen of Imaal . I don't know if the cast is still there.

I had my leg pulled probably 30 years ago of how easy it was to catch a salmon on opening day in Rathvilly. The proud captor quickly threw it on a roof to the cats. Do many realise how closely pike are related to salmon and trout, they're not too far off the tree. I'd still like to see how a limestone lake would do without pike.

There was a habbit of stroke-hauling pike around Rathvilly. A farmer I
    met on the Dereen told me of someone taking holidays to fish for specimen pike on his land years beforehand. I have no idea why pike aren't found further down the Slaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

I used to be a member of the Eastern Regional Fisheries Board. There were 3 to 4 Slaney salmon draft netsmen on the Board. They told me that they used to catch the odd good sized pike in the nets 20 plus years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

jkchambers wrote: »
    I used to be a member of the Eastern Regional Fisheries Board. There were 3 to 4 Slaney salmon draft netsmen on the Board. They told me that they used to catch the odd good sized pike in the nets 20 plus years ago.

Wow that is very interesting to read Jk. Thanks, i'll look into it a bit further i think..

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bencarvosso

i remember reading a list of giant pike caught in ireland in a mag, i think al rawlings did the list, and it contained one or poss two fish from the slaney. this article was ten years or so ago

Advertisement