Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

yeah, slightly unfair. I love Cavendish. Always have. I just think the reaction this weekend has been insane

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Sigh I know many winners are assholes. Fine. The video is just an example of why I don't care if he wins or not or goes to the Tour. There are enough winners out there that find a way to motivate themselves without being dickheads about it. I admire Cavendish and his record but when he behaves in such a way he should be called out. You'll never hear anyone on GCN talking about that video or his behaviour. I don't think the media should ignore this kind of thing. Otherwise we keep the "this is how winners do it" mahco guff alive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It isn't comparable, one of them has a chance to win stages/something, the other realistically doesn't.

I don't recall anyone sniggering, he isn't the right person for the team this year for a variety of reasons. Lots here have said its unfortunate for Sam and even with Irish eyes, haven't heard anyone, including Sam saying it was the wrong decision. Mark on the other hand knew months ago that he wasn't going and the media and fan boys are kicking up a storm because he commented he is race fit for it.

It was an incredibly entertaining race, and he won it on tactics and race craft but, nothing hinted that he would be up there for a stage win or the green jersey this year, partcularly when you look at the stages.

I'm not a Cavendish fan but it's a bit overblown as a moment tbh

In the "social media" age every small moment can suddenly be a definitive and momentous 100% judgement

He addressed it on the day, literally a few hours later (see below)

It's not as if he is anything in the slightest on the level of an Armstrong going out to destroy people's lives like a true sociopath / psychopath

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yep again I feel like my post is only being half-read. Of course he shouldn't go on current form but for his own benefit I would hope it was discussed with him in the room and he agreed. Not criticising the decision at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

I just think though that it's more than the stage wins. I'm looking at it from the exposure point of view. The whole sport survives because of sponsorship, from the local club in Ireland to the biggest WT teams. Cavendish is box office. It was either going to be 3 weeks talking about QS and Cav winning getting the record or trying to get the record. And he's still good enough to win a stage. He won at the Giro.

True enough. In fairness he could well have apologised later for all I know but I would still like to see it called out.

Unless the Belgians don't want the record to go. Nobody else is ever going to take it. Cav will be too old next year I presume. This way Merckx won't be overtaken.

In my opinion, the exposure as soon as it was clear he wasn't pulling in that last win would quieten down across the water fairly quick, with only one ES commentator going on until the last day. Other than the record, it would just be seen as a silly decision by most cycling fans outside of this corner of Europe I think, so won't do sponsorship any good. Deep down I, quite cynically suspect, Mark likes the way this has worked out. He can go down saying he could have gotten it but was held back, on paper he has shown just enough form that a win is not impossible (although in my opinion and in his I imagine as well, quite unlikely). The media and his fans are making more of a deal about it than he was, he hasn't given out, just that he would have liked and could have competed. Not his usual outlandish style if he doesn't like something, in fact quite restrained. He can now rest up, target (or not) one or two more smaller races to show he still has it and his ego feels great.

Cavendish is hardly going to throw a public fit as first alternate in an environment where Covid took out half the Tour De Suisse field the other week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ah lads and lassies this is the Sam thread...please 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

Hard to disagree with any of that to be fair. Ya, well put!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The way Pog is going...he got 6 stages in 2 TDF already, and is only 23. Expect it to be close to 10 come August

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Realistically, Sam had no hope of winning a stage in the TDF this year.

We'll agree to disagree as to whether anyone is sniggering at the reaction across the pond to Cav not getting the pick.

In a way, none of Cav's achievements over the last 18 months were anticipated, right up to the nationals. So perhaps the British cycling community was entitled to get its hopes up at the prospect of Cav getting a last shot.

Anyway, really hope Sam can use the time to get right and come storming out of the blocks at the Vuelta. Could be a blessing in disguise for him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Sam would have had 5-6 opportunities. He's been up in quite a few sprints this year but no where near his best so far. I do think he could have won 1-2 stages but doesn't look in the form to challenge for green. I am very biased like most here but think they should have brough him. That said from a team point of view DVP is a decent bet for a stage too and a good work horse as well. Can't see the logic iin throwing it all behind Vlasov who has no chance of winning and only an outside bet of the podium.

Hope Sam gets a ride in the Siblu tour which goes on at the same time as the TDF and shows form there. Hope this is a blip rather than a sign he's on the down turn permanently ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I'd agree as Sam has shown no high level this year whereas Cav has shown form.

I hope Sam gets a chance to prove himself this year but the Tour is not the place.

A miscommunication, plenty laughing at the british media reaction, just wasn't laughing at Cav was what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Having had a bit more time to digest the disappointment, my head is telling me it's probably for the best. I really think it could turn out to be a blessing, if he uses the time wisely. Get a few results in one-day races and nab a few stage wins & jersey at the Vuelta and everyone will have forgotten the TDF and be looking forward to a fully loaded 2023 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

will sam even get a shot at the vuelta though?? assume he'll do some other races to get into form for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Where to for Sam now ?

and also has he a particular problem that has made his season so rubbish ?

Will he go to Poland ? He could maybe get some wins there to improve confidence ?

Down to start Tour of Poland next weekend when I checked there now on PCS

In hindsight did Bora make the right decision to leave him out of the Tour de France? They went for GC with Vlasov. He was never in contention for a top 3 and they have no stage wins. A very disappointing Tour de France for them. Though it seems unlikely Sam would have picked up a stage, taking into consideration his form and lack of sprint opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

In hindsight it probably was the right call. Particularly brutal course, feck all chances for sprinters, wout with the green jersey sewn up after three stages.... Even with the full might of QS backing him jakobsen looks like a shell of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

In hindsight i think the correct decision was made to leave him out. He would have really struggled to get a win and that would be even worse then not getting selected. Wonder will he go to the Vuelta - I'm thinking of heading to the 3 stages in Holland and 2 sprint stages so would love to see him get one of them

Hindsight is wonderful but yes, completely the right call for him. A bit like last year, right call not to go with the injury but then there were so many top sprinters taken out / never showed up he'd have destroyed them even with the niggle. Both calls were right but one is only possible with hindsight. No way Cavendish would have done so well if the other sprinters had turned up or not gotten injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

If Vlasov does a good ITT then he'll finish in 5th and I'm sure Bora will be happy with that. Of course a stage or 2 would have been nice but a top 5 is a nice result for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There were so many sprinters misfiring though he might have done alright or at least only done as bad as all the other off form guys.

Definitely no green though. Van Aert is a Sagan/Kelly type who can pick the points up everywhere. It'll be his if he wants it for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Don't know if sprinters were misfiring, only 3 proper bunch sprints the whole race. Otherwise it was a pretty tough race and I think Philipsen survived best to be the strongest overall sprinter. I think something happened Jakobsen in the finale today, you can see him stop pedaling and look down. Pretty tough Tour baptism for him. Ewan, I don't know if it was bad luck or poor form or both. Gronenwegen was as expected. Van Aert was in much better sprint form this year compared to last year, too bad he didnt spint today.I enjoyed seeing the sprinters get outfoxed by late attacks, that used to be pretty common but the arrival of sprint teams seen that opportunistic type win completely disappear. Long may it last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

There's an interview with Sagan about

He lost his chain off last bend when he put power down. Got it back on and then reckons Jakonsen had same happen him.

Advertisement