Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2013: Free GP visits for under 5's

Options
  • 14-10-2013 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭

Seems like they're going to go ahead with the free GP visits for under 5's in the budget. Just too late for us as the youngest has just turned 5 but should make things a little easier for many families!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

If they manage to introduce it, it would be great. There's been a few times when my little one has seemed a little under the weather but I've dithered over bringing her to the GP because of the €55 fee.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think mine have been to the gp about 5/6 times between them,I bring them if they are sick but not for little things. I think that it is a brilliant start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Medical card guidelines to be "tightened" to pay for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Our gp isn't affiliated with hse for medical cards so I'm hoping he's not excluded from this scheme on that basis. He's a fantastic gp especially for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

It's a great plan, but the problem is you'll have people abusing it. All our gp and pediatrician visits are covered by our social security here, and people bring their kids to the doctor for the slightest and unneceesary things.
    My daughter's pediatrician was amazed that for the first year she only saw my lo for her developmental checks....obvious I still haven't gotten used to not paying for doctor appointments! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Does anyone know if the cuts to social welfare for those under 26 applies to new entrants only or will it effect those already in the system as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Does anyone know if the cuts to social welfare for those under 26 applies to new entrants only or will it effect those already in the system as well?

This is the wrong forum for this but in answer it's only for new entrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Orion wrote: »
    This is the wrong forum for this but in answer it's only for new entrants.

Sorry, I didn't realise this was the parenting forum, my mistake, I just searched for Budget 2013 and this popped up. Thank you for answering though, that is a huge weight off my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

vitani wrote: »
    If they manage to introduce it, it would be great. There's been a few times when my little one has seemed a little under the weather but I've dithered over bringing her to the GP because of the €55 fee.

its not an excuse to bring them for "a little under the weather"

This could easily clog the surgery rooms up also.

Will still only bring my little ones when they need to go and not just for a cold or something

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I felt like I lived in the doctors during the first year of my little boys life, especially when he started creche, i am delighted with this announcement, very welcome indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Rose35 wrote: »
    I felt like I lived in the doctors during the first year of my little boys life, especially when he started creche, i am delighted with this announcement, very welcome indeed.

I know the feeling. We've had our second and have taken the first one out of crèche till February. In and out of the doctors the whole time with this and that. We were nearly living on beans and toast for the first 4 months of the year, every second week there was another trip to the doctors needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I think most parents will hopefully have enough common sense not to start bringing their kids for minor things that we wouldn't normally have brought them for - ie; colds, minor temp, cuts & bruises etc.

This will really help families that genuinely have a child that needs a lot of medical attention, gets sick a lot etc, needs to get referred for tests, prescriptions etc. They're the ones that really need it to take the pressure off financially.

Thankfully our 2.5yr old hasn't been to the gp since January. It did feel like we were going at least once a month for the first 18 months after he joined crèche.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Mink wrote: »
    I think most parents will hopefully have enough common sense not to start bringing their kids for minor things that we wouldn't normally have brought them for - ie; colds, minor temp, cuts & bruises etc.

I fear you may be giving people too much credit.....if it's free, it will be abused by some. You see it in any country where there are free gp visits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

its not an excuse to bring them for "a little under the weather"

This could easily clog the surgery rooms up also.

Will still only bring my little ones when they need to go and not just for a cold or something

I knew I'd phrased that badly. But if I'd gone with 'there's been a few times when my little one has been unwell', I'd probably have someone telling me that they can't believe I'd compromise my child's health over the sake of €50.

Look, I'm not someone who brings my child to the doctor at the first sign of a sniffle. But we all know what it's like when you have a child with a bug or something that might get better within a day or two, but you don't know for sure that it will. In those situations, I'd like cost to be removed as a factor when I'm deciding whether to bring her to the doctor or not.

The problem with having your kids in crèche is that you sometimes need to bring them to the gp if you think they're coming down with something as you don't want them getting very sick in crèche and you have to organize time off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Disscusion going here all morning

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87009544#post87009544

Sleepy wrote: »
    Seems like they're going to go ahead with the free GP visits for under 5's in the budget. Just too late for us as the youngest has just turned 5 but should make things a little easier for many families!

Should be for all kids under 16, €55 per visit is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The system already gets abused slightly anyway, people with medical cards and gp only cards can already go see their gp for free as can their kids .

I wonder how many arguments this causes family under pressure these days, the wife "his not well have to take him to doctors", husband "no, his grand, just give him some calpol !"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭SurferRosa

That's great news, my eldest turned 5 this summer, but I have a one and a three year old also. They each see the doc about 1-2 times a year ( youngest has never been so far fingers crossed), but they seem to need to see the doc at the worst possible times financially,so this would be a great help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Thankfully my 2 year old has only needed the gp once, but it is a little relief to know that simply not having €50/60 won't mean I can't bring him to the gp if I need to.

Sleepy wrote: »

My youngest niece will turn 5 in January and her older sister will turn 10 next year so its a pity for them but my sister is expecting again soon so at least if needs be, one of the siblings will benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's a good move, but I don't see why it has to be all or nothing in this country - €50 or everything is free. If they had a system like they have for prescriptions where you had to pay a nominal fee e.g. €2, it might stop people taking the piss out of it entirely. I would worry that this is going to make it really difficult to get an appointment now.

I wouldn't mind a nominal fee either 10 euro or so would be perfect,60 is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I like this. Hopefully if it works out and people don't abuse it, it may be extended to older children too in a few years.

in the 1950s I think it was they introduced something similar called the mother and child scheme,I must look up what happened to it and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Moonbeam wrote: »
    in the 1950s I think it was they introduced something similar called the mother and child scheme,I must look up what happened to it and when.

Famously that wasn't actually introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

It's a good move, but I don't see why it has to be all or nothing in this country - €50 or everything is free. If they had a system like they have for prescriptions where you had to pay a nominal fee e.g. €2, it might stop people taking the piss out of it entirely. I would worry that this is going to make it really difficult to get an appointment now.

Nominal fee is good suggestion.

Worth remembering however that almost 50% of under sixes already have free gp so i wouldn't be too worried about massive increase in doctor visits.

• Advertisement

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Famously that wasn't actually introduced.

Found info about it..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_and_Child_Scheme
    reading why it did not happen is crazy.

Advertisement