Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champions League on pay TV only?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

So could Sky not just bid for irish rights, small enough outlay could persuade more here to subscribe, and maybe hang on to subscribers it's losing.

They could, see post #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

The Cush wrote: »
    They could, see post #1.

Would they be that interested? I would hope so but obviously it would necessitate a separate Sky Sports Ireland channel.
    The 3pm Saturday might also become more worthwhile to them too.

I'm far from convinced that BT will be able to show any more than a couple of matches here if they get the rights; in that respect Sky would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

According to the TV3's semi 2015 launch today they have UEFA champions and europa leagues in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Elmo wrote: »
    According to the TV3's semi 2015 launch today they have UEFA champions and europa leagues in 2015.

that would be correct. the contract is for 2014-2015 so technically they have Champions league in 2015 but may not have it from September 2015 onwards if they dont win the rights again. the BT deal kicks in from the Start of the 2015 season.

• Advertisement

For the first half of the year 2014/15, the RoI rights for the 2015/16 - 2017/18 haven't been tendered for yet - http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/uefaorg/Marketing/01/96/76/90/1967690_DOWNLOAD.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

According to today's Irish Times the Irish CL rights will be awarded early next year.

irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/champions-league-should-prove-good-contest-for-broadcasters-1.1803970

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    According to today's Irish Times the Irish CL rights will be awarded early next year.

irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/champions-league-should-prove-good-contest-for-broadcasters-1.1803970

I saw that, I think it is the first time in a broadcasting piece about TV3, UTV or RTÉ that the Irish Times have mentioned that TV3, Setanta and RTÉ have yet to get the Champions and Europa League and that BT and Sky will be getting ready to bid against them.

Would sky want them now they won't have UK rights? BT might alright but rte will not be allowed bid excessively.

Would sky want them now they won't have UK rights? BT might alright but rte will not be allowed bid excessively.

If they are the right price Sky could go for them, nothing stopping sky from having an Irish opt-out service for their sports channel. It may mean that they will have to set up a separate channel or set of channels for the Irish market. All depends on subscriptions.

I'd imagine that BT might do a deal with Setanta so Setanta can keep their games.

I can see TV3 dropping them TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

I saw that, I think it is the first time in a broadcasting piece about TV3, UTV or RTÉ that the Irish Times have mentioned that TV3, Setanta and RTÉ have yet to get the Champions and Europa League and that BT and Sky will be getting ready to bid against them.

What's the chances I wonder of a repeat of the UK scenario, where the RoI terrestrial broadcasters may end up being offered a highlights package only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

I'd agree with the question would Sky want the rights. They do seem to be a station that loses interest in Irish rights if the UK rights aren't available. RTE will have one hand tied behind their back. It would make little sense for UTV to go for them as they won't be able to broadcast them in the North and will in the South, plus ITV will have a full schedule to replace the champions league night. So they're probably out as well.

So it's probably down to Setanta/BT and TV3. It shouldn't be too hard for TV3 to get a share of the rights but with them anything is possible. (they might not even be around by the end of 2015) So most likely I would think all rights to Setanta/BT with either TV3 or RTE having one night a week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

sky won't go for the rights from 2015

its bt sport, setanta, rtetv, tv3 or utvI for the irish tv rights

I'm confused - according to some on here the fact that BT have the UK rights automatically means they have the rights for here :)

In fact, because a BT CS agent told one member that they have them for here it's been taken as fact :confused:

(The same CS agents telling some subscribers that they have CL football from NEXT season btw ;) )

radiowaves wrote: »
    I'm confused - according to some on here the fact that BT have the UK rights automatically means they have the rights for here :)

In fact, because a BT CS agent told one member that they have them for here it's been taken as fact :confused:

(The same CS agents telling some subscribers that they have CL football from NEXT season btw ;) )

the CS agents may be right in that Sky used to broadcast them here even though technically RTE and Setanta/TV3 had rights. the irish rights are always tendered seperately but for some reason SKY who did not bid for seperate irish rights always showed them here(probably with no objection from rte or tv3).
    BT may have the same arrangement from 2015.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

For me I can see one of the following scenarios happening:

(1) The existing franchise holders retain their rights with the proviso that BT Sport can also broadcast their coverage here. This is the best case scenario for everyone I think.

(2) BT Sport gets the Irish rights, and sub licences the same games that they are sublicencing/broadcasting free to air in the UK, to Setanta or an Irish free to air broadcaster.

(3) The existing franchise holders retain their rights and no proviso is made for BT Sport. Note that this scenario would mean the end of Match Choice and a maximum of three Champions League games being broadcast here per match day.

I cannot see Sky being involved in the bidding on this one, they don't tend to bid for separate ROI rights if they don't have the UK rights.

I will hazard a guess that it willl be Bt/setanta with an outside chance tv3 may get some games and that either way the BT games will be shown here on the BT channel/

I would have thought that sky's gaa coverage is a clear signal that they are interested.

I would have thought that sky's gaa coverage is a clear signal that they are interested.

Sky have the Ireland and UK rights for the GAA games they're covering. Just having Irish rights would be more trouble than they're worth (for champions League). They would have to either set up a separate channel or have regional variations for at least one of the SKY Sports Channels. While having regional variations is good for commercials, it's probably not worth their while financially to do the same for whole programmes.

Sky have the Ireland and UK rights for the GAA games they're covering. Just having Irish rights would be more trouble than they're worth (for champions League). They would have to either set up a separate channel or have regional variations for at least one of the SKY Sports Channels. While having regional variations is good for commercials, it's probably not worth their while financially to do the same for whole programmes.

If the keep irish subscribers I don't see why it won't be worthwhile.

It would be very different to sky news Ireland but it shows the possibility.

I am assuming that they will have a studio for GAA coverage in Ireland.

• Advertisement

They won't - they'll be presenting from temporary sets at grounds, though not quite pitch side as TV3 often did.

icdg wrote: »
    They won't - they'll be presenting from temporary sets at grounds, though not quite pitch side as TV3 often did.

What about there midweek highlights show?

Either way I don't see Sky not taking an interest in Irish Rights to Champions League.

If the keep irish subscribers I don't see why it won't be worthwhile.

It would be very different to sky news Ireland but it shows the possibility.

It's not impossible that SKY will take an interest in the rights, but it's unlikely. Yes there are Irish Subscribers, but if you take into account all the hassle they'd have to go through it might just not be worth their while. SKY Sports subscribers in Ireland are probably 5 to 10 percent of the overall Market. I will say that those that got SKY in the earlier days in the UK where more likely to subscribe to Sky Sports than Here. Many who subscribe here do it out of necessity for choice, so they're more likely to be on a basic package.

On top of that getting the GAA rights means that current Irish Subscribers are more likely to hang on to their subscription. At the end of the day it comes down to return for cash laid out and IMHO and from past experience SKY have never gone for Irish rights alone...But I may be wrong.

What about there midweek highlights show

No analysis. Presumably they can tape a short introduction on the day of their live game or have Carney do it from Iselworth.

icdg wrote: »
    No analysis. Presumably they can tape a short introduction on the day of their live game or have Carney do it from Iselworth.

They could do something that most international sports do at this stage with highlights shows. No in vision introduction at all, just a voiceover over pictures and graphics between match highlights and interviews.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/champions-league/11132035/BT-Sport-in-talks-with-ITV-over-sharing-Champions-League-and-Europa-League-games.html
    discussions have taken place between the broadcasters that may result in BT subletting a certain number of Champions League and Europa League matches it holds the exclusive rights to from 2015.

BT did commit to making certain matches available free-to-air across both the Champions League and Europa League, including both finals and at least one match per season involving each English club involved in the competitions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

The Cush wrote: »

second picks games on tuesday nights up on itv maybe

I hope bt sport get the irish rights and keep it all on pay tv as they have the red button on sky now

ftakeith wrote: »
    I hope bt sport get the irish rights and keep it all on pay tv as they have the red button on sky now

I would say they will do a similar deal with one of the Irish channels if they do pick up the rights. I'd say it will be RTÉ if it does happen.

ftakeith wrote: »
    second picks games on tuesday nights up on itv maybe

Why would you actually hope for and/or prefer that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

is there a risk next year that the games on BT will be geo blocked for us in the ROI as is the case with the Europa league at the moment

Advertisement