Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Boards cycle against cancer

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Love to be there but ain't gonna happen.
    Really enjoyed the spin. Hope dogears is ok after his off.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

What sort of time did ye do it in? I know the pace was to be relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

CptMackey wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the spin. Hope dogears is ok after his off.

As soon as I got home my eldest fella (full of sympathy!) referred to some rule about not talking about an injury unless it was so bad you had to go to hospital. Not sure that's a real rule, but in that spirit, I'll say, the bike has a few issues but nothing adequate to justify a new purchase (:(), garmin is fine, oakleys are fine, kit is a bit damaged - otherwise nothing to report!;)

(actually shoulder is a bit stiff and plenty of road rash but otherwise fine - thanks for asking and thanks also to the others who helped on the road).

If anyone knows the chap who came down right behind me, you might let me know as I'd like to check up on him.

It was great to see so many come out for the spin. Fair play to thebouldwhacker for the effort he put in to getting it going. It was uplifting to see so many get spontaneously involved in this, and for Padraig, a tribute to the attitude and philosophy you've shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

What a brilliant day out, full of good surprises.
    Got a lift from twaimkit so no up or down problem to talk about.

Weather was great (nice when they get it wrong that way), so was the company and the route. And best thing of all, it was all for good cause.

Sorry to hear about the lads who went down. Hope bikes are ok :D

According to strava last one up airport hill :eek:
    So definitely route I must do again. Soon

http://app.strava.com/activities/92948442

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Well that was some day, due to a comedy of errors I was half an hour at the bottom of the airport hill with a puncture.
    Inc21 graciously stayed with me (all day). He helped a German couple change the wheel on their rental while they were in a panic to catch their plane at the same time kept me in tubes.
    Full report to follow, in the mean time allow me to give the good news that over €200 was collected in cash today so the fund is now over €8000!!!

Pictures
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/y7h7yreotnsr4a8/iqtYw1ZWbf
    (hope they work)

Strava
    http://www.strava.com/activities/92942847

iqtYw1ZWbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Mamil biker

Great day out. Fair play to bouldwhacker for organising all.

Hops everyone that got acquainted with the Tarmac makes a quick recovery.

Gota say, I found the colder weather seemed to jap my energy. The coffee in Dripsey was needed.

Fair play to all.

Mamil

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Well that was some day, due to a comedy of errors I was half an hour at the bottom of the airport hill with a puncture.
    Inc21 graciously stayed with me (all day). He helped a German couple change the wheel on their rental while they were in a panic to catch their plane at the same time kept me in tubes.
    Full report to follow, in the mean time allow me to give the good news that over €200 was collected in cash today so the fund is now over €8000!!!

Pictures
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/y7h7yreotnsr4a8/iqtYw1ZWbf
    (hope they work)

Strava
    http://www.strava.com/activities/92942847

iqtYw1ZWbf

Pictures look well would it be ok to nick a few to post on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

What's to be said but Sunday was great, over 30 rolled up to the city hall with more joining farther down the road. It was a genuine pleasure to chat to all that had turned up, some local cyclists on spec, some boardsies who had travelled a distance to attend, one not even cycling, happy to be broomwagon and coffee stop supervisor.
    There was a great feeling that everyone was there for a nice spin but was part of a bigger picture.
    Clubs turned up flying their flags high, they certainly did themselves proud.
    There was great talk about Padraig and what he is doing, raising much needed awareness and funds. Truly inspirational stuff.

At the off we headed out the Link and I pulled over at the start of the airport hill. I mounted a tiny curb onto a layby to await the back of the peloton and managed to blow my front tube.
    After all these years it the first puncture I have ever gotten on any kind of group ride. Not good timing.
    Inc21 stopped with me and as posted above directed the repair of two wheels, my bike and a passing German couple who had a puncture in their car. I managed to pull the valve off my new tube as I finished pumping it and so had to start all over again! Half an hour and my OH landing on with a track pump and more tubes later we were ready. We didn't use the pump however as a De Ronde van member swooped in with CO2 and we were on our way.

Now I'm not the best climber, certainly not at the moment, inc21 isn't bad on the up, so fair play for him not dropping me and catching up with the main bunch solo. We covered good ground catching whispers of a Grand Peloton just minutes away before tagging onto the rear after Cloughduv. We got to see a lot of fed cyclists leaving Flemings as we entered for hot scones and coffee. Watching the first drops of rain fall into the waters of the resiviour we thought, meh, we'll be home soon.
    With twaimkit at the rear in the broomwagon we belted home along side Cobh tri club, nice line all the way into town and home.

I had marked the route with pink arrows sprayed the night before but alas most we're washed away but I didn't hear of anyone getting lost. Glad to hear the one off the bike incident was not so bad that twaimkit was needed. Between jersey signing and badge wearing, meeting so many Boardsies I had great fun and was blown away to collect just over €200 on the day, mostly from people who are not boardsies. Most donated on line and the event got the warm sunshine start that it deserved.

It was a real treat to cycle with the best that Cork has, many clubs were represented as was boards, chapeau to all who posted, tweeted face booked and generally got the word out, it worked. I was proud to wear the boards kit, chapeau to us all.
    Padraig I hope the pictures give you some feel of the day.
    It's got to be said Cork gave you a 'Grand Peloton'

Nice to put this up as post number 3000, something worth posting at last...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Half an hour and my OH landing on with a track pump and more tubes later we were ready. We didn't use the pump however as a De Ronde van member swooped in with CO2 and we were on our way.

Nice to put this up as post number 3000, something worth posting at last...

about all i could manage on the day! Fair dues T to organizing.

Advertisement