Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec - external bell

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Could still be the S22.
    Have you tried the other one.
    It's like the bell out put from the S22 is permanently negative.
    With the bell wired up and ringing disconnect the bell negative from the card.
    Does the bell stop?
    After that If you wire the strobe negative into bell and strobe does it power up clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Tried the other s22 and the same - Bell starting ringing when i closed the tamper.

"With the bell wired up and ringing disconnect the bell negative from the card.
    Does the bell stop? "
    Is that number 3 on the s22 that is link to - 12V on the bell ? Tried that and it kept ringing.

"After that If you wire the strobe negative into bell and strobe does it power up clear"
    Is that 5 on the s22 into the STB on the bell and then just a link from STB into bell?

On the bell box I removed the wire from the connector called bell and then ran a link to it from the strobe connector.
    Then powered up s22 and moved battery to INT.
    Bell powered up and and then when i pressed down tamper and released the bell started ringing , closed lid but it kept ringing and nothing on keypad.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is the bell closing fully?
    If you press and hold in the tamper switch does the bell stop?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is the bell closing fully?
    If you press and hold in the tamper switch does the bell stop?

Yes it closes fully but I tried it then by just pressing and holding in the tamper switch and still the same.

• Advertisement

Need to find where the trigger is coming from.
    Disconnect both the strobe negative and the bell negative and see if it closes and silences all clear.

Is the strobe negative and the bell negative the strobe and bell connections on the bell box? So I just unscrew the wire from both of them there ?

Removed the wires from the bell box connections for bell and strobe and then connected battery INT and powered up the s22.
    Bell box lit up as normal but when I press the tamper down the bell started ringing and would not stop when released and pressed and kept down again.

Strange,
    Check the other links against the manual.
    Especially the negative applied/negative removed setting.
    It sounds like one of these may be wrong.

After that remove everything except the + & - it should power up and light without sounding if the tamper is closed.

Here is the manual sheet - 1 page.
    There is also an addendum sheet which is 2 pages.

On the connection it says the Bell and Strobe triggers are negative applied if that means anything?

Attachments are scanned at high quality in case you want to print them off.

Looking on the manual Step 7 Connections
    Should I be putting the T into the top one on the bell and not the 2nd T ? Could this be the problem?

You can see the link that came in it for between the 2nd T on the top Fault

• Advertisement

This bell is Grade 3 and appears to be a little different.
    Try the negative into the bottom tamper and wire the top one to tamper return.

Perfect I'll try that after dinner.

I emailed support and got this reply.

You have the Grade 3 Version of the sounder which has a fault output for monitoring the internal battery.

The fault relay is only required on a grade 3 system. If you remove the wire link you can ignore the fault terminals and wire as normal.

However the Bell Trigger wire is monitored on a grade 3 sounder and has to be a specific voltage for it to work correctly (Approx 3 Volts). If the trigger is not 3 volts then the sounder will not work properly.

My advice would be to return the sounder and exchange it for the grade 2 version which wires as you have shown in your diagram.

Alternatively you could try fitting a resistor to the trigger wire in order to pull it up or down to the required voltage.

The resistor would be connected between –ve and the bell trigger to pull the voltage down or +ve and the bell trigger to pull it up.

In order to determine which resistor value is required you should first meter the voltage of the bell trigger by using a multimeter with the –ve lead on the –ve terminal and the +ve lead on the trigger terminal.

If the voltage you read is above 3 volts insert a resistor between –ve and the bell trigger to reduce the voltage until 3 volts is achieved. This procedure can be trial and error but you should be able to get the sounder to work.

If in any doubt then we would advise that you contact us from site for further advice.

Yeah,
    I was presuming you just had a standard Delta Bell Plus.
    That bell could be messy with the Astec interface.
    I'd recommend replacing with Grade 2 Delta Bell Plus.

Yeah,
    I was presuming you just had a standard Delta Bell Plus.
    That bell could be messy with the Astec interface.
    I'd recommend replacing with Grade 2 Delta Bell Plus.

Thanks KoolKid for your help on this, I have mailed the company in the uk to arrange a return of the 2 bell boxes.

Is this the correct one I need then ? Pyronix Deltabell E Grade 2 External Sounder Back Plate Red:
    http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2866

Thanks James

Yeah,
    The delta bell E or the delta bell plus...

2 new Deltabell plus grade 2's arriving to me next Wednesday.

Hopefully all will go ok then,From what you've done so far it appears the S22s are ok.
    Here's hoping.

All working perfectly, Tested both s22's there and they are working with the new bell boxes.

Thanks very much KoolKid for sending me on the 2 s22's and for you help on this.

Also thanks to Altor for the wiring diagram as it made it very handy.

Should I get a sticker made up with a clear background for the cover?

• Advertisement

Stickers don't look great as it shows up every mark. I can send you 2 screened lids if you want them.

Stickers don't look great as it shows up every mark. I can send you 2 screened lids if you want them.

These are the lids I ordered KoolKid
    http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2326

How are the screen lids different or are there lids with your logo on them?

Same as them. Blue screen on white background.

Same as them. Blue screen on white background.

Is it nicer than just the white lid on then?

I think so. I'll send you 2 if you want.

I think so. I'll send you 2 if you want.

Yes if dont mind that would be great.

No problem. I'll get them in the post during the week.

Posted 2 of those today for you.

Posted 2 of those today for you.

Thanks very much KoolKid - I mounted my own bell box on the wall last night - very happy with it.

• Advertisement

No bother. Sure try them lids & see what you think,
    Lids are free to us anyway, so if you don't like the look of them just get rid of them.

Advertisement