Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec - external bell

Options
  • 10-10-2013 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My astec external bell strobes are gone so i want to replace the external bell on it.

Searching here it looks like I need an S21 SAB conversion kit - can they still be got?

Like the look of the Pyronix Deltabell Plus External Sounder Back Plate Red online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

jamesd wrote: »
    Hi,

My astec external bell strobes are gone so i want to replace the external bell on it.

Searching here it looks like I need an S21 SAB conversion kit - can they still be got?

Like the look of the Pyronix Deltabell Plus External Sounder Back Plate Red online.

You would need a S22 to do this. You would be lucky to get your hands on one as the S22 is an obsolete product at this stage. Possibly try some of the suppliers here.

An alternative option if the bell is working might be just to replace the LEDs in the bell itself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are still some floating around, I'm sure I've still a few floating around.
    I'll check tomorrow & let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thanks koolkid

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yep have some there.
    They are not packed, but we can check and make sure they are good.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Yep have some there.
    They are not packed, but we can check and make sure they are good.

Excellent I am down in ATHLONE though - could I paypal you payment for it and you post it or is that too much bother?

• Advertisement

Yeah I could do that... I'll send it to you first and make sure it works OK.
    PM me a contact and we can discuss.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Yeah I could do that... I'll send it to you first and make sure it works OK.
    PM me a contact and we can discuss.

Thanks PM sent. No rush on call.

So with my s22 coming thanks to KoolKid I need to get the external bell ordered

If I got
    http://www.cctvcentral.co.uk/pyronix-deltabell-fully-led-backlit-sounder---backplate-red-1064-p.asp
    And
    http://www.cctvcentral.co.uk/pyronix-deltabell---cover-white-1065-p.asp

Is that all I need?

Would there be room for the s22 in the pyronix? I think I read here that it should fit.

Would I get this bell box off someone like eastern electrical for about the same price?

Yes that's all that you need.
    If you are short on cables to the bell this does fit into the Pyronix Delta Bell. If the cables are free I prefer to use it inside the house.

That's perfect - the bellbox is on the outside of the attic side wall so I can leave the s22 in a small ip65 box inside of the attic wall screwed to the wall and them run the cables from it to the new bellbox.

• Advertisement

That's an option, or if you have 6 core going to the panel you can locate the unit there.
    Remember you do not need a resistor on the tamper return as the tamper is monitored by the bell bus anyway.

You do not need a resistor when using the S22 with the external bell.
    Here is an old PDF I made up for the connections.

Received my 2 * Pyronix Deltabell Plus External Sounder Back Plate Red today.

You're ready to go so.

Received my 2 * Pyronix Deltabell Plus External Sounder Back Plate Red today.

Good to hear, did you get two S22s?

Yes 2 s22's from Koolkid , going to do them Sunday morning early. Looking forward to the new bell box.

Are the 2 wires from the panel to the s22 a plus and a minus or does it matter which as looking at the picture posted it dosent look like it matters.

I'm going to put the s22 inside in the attic and just run a 6core out to the new bell box. Doing it this way so I even need to open the panel?
    I was hoping to just pop the old bell box off the wall, silent the alarm with my code, push the existing wire back into the attic and wire that into the s22 and then use a 6 core to the new bell box.
    Have I to do anything on the panel or keypad?

The panel connections are polarity independent, it doesn't matter which way they are wired.
    For the delta bell there is a permanent - and the top tamper is - . You can loop both of these to BHO on the S22.

Are the 2 wires from the panel to the s22 a plus and a minus or does it matter which as looking at the picture posted it dosent look like it matters.

I'm going to put the s22 inside in the attic and just run a 6core out to the new bell box. Doing it this way so I even need to open the panel?
    I was hoping to just pop the old bell box off the wall, silent the alarm with my code, push the existing wire back into the attic and wire that into the s22 and then use a 6 core to the new bell box.
    Have I to do anything on the panel or keypad?

Yes, go into option 73 to get them on the system. There is also a link on each S22. ID1 and ID2. This will correspond with each bell.

AFAIK He is putting only putting one bell on each system so none of that programming is required.
    The panel will automatically see the S22 in place of the existing external bell.

• Advertisement

Yes just 1 bell on each panel, the 2nd bell is for my fathers house as his astec bell LEDs have failed too.

altor wrote: »
    Yes, go into option 73 to get them on the system. There is also a link on each S22. ID1 and ID2. This will correspond with each bell.
    Yes just 1 bell on each panel, the 2nd bell is for my fathers house as his astec bell LEDs have failed too.

I assumed you where installing both on the one house as there was no mention of your fathers house in the thread.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Hi,
    Gave this a go this evening.

Removed the Astec bell box and pulled the wire back into the attic. (It had 6 wires going to it but only the black and red were used for the astec bell)

Wired the black and red into the S22 - got 1 tamper and 1 sab error on the keypad.

Wired the s22 to the new bell box with it's lid opened so tamper open. (Says in manual this is normal as called external engineer hold off when panel first powered)

It lit up and the red led's on it flashed on/off. (Nothing on panel)

But then i pushed in the tamper switch to make it think its lid was on it then it started ringing but nothing on the keypad came up. (Tried disarming from keypad but nothing)

To stop it I removed the black going into the S22 sounder bus.

What am I doing wrong? There is a jumper on the new bell between T and Fault - I left this here as assumed it was needed.

See pics of both.

Why the link between Tamper return & fault?

Dont know - It was there when it came. The instruction sheet dosent even say why.

Should I remove it?

Also to stop the astec bell ringing after I removed it from the wall - I saw a battery switch on it which I pulled out but it did nothing.

Never seen them in any delta bell I've used , take it out and see.
    The battery link should be switched over to Int.
    If everything is wired in the sounder should stop when you close the lid.
    Check all that & tell me what (if any error )displays on the Astec panel.

Thanks.
    I never swapped the battery over to internal, I will pop out that link in the morning and see how I get on when I close the lid.

Hopefully removing the link will do it or putting the battery onto internal.

I had pressed the tamper bottom down to make it think the lid was closed but when I did that it started ringing.

When you press and release the tamper initially it powers up the bell.
    If everything is OK the bell should silence when the tamper is closed again.

Ah that could be my problem too, When I powered it up the tamper was opened (external engineer hold off when panel first powered)

It wasent ringing just flashing so I said to make it seem like the lid was on it I would just press down and hold the tamper, so i pressed and held it down without releasing it and it then started ringing.

So tomorrow morning I will
    1) Remove like between fault and Tamper
    2) Swap over battery link to INT

Press and then release tamper and alarm should sound so then I need to put on cover to close tamper.

• Advertisement

Now doing this step by step this morning:
    1) Removed Astec bell again and get "22 Call Engineer" on keypad (sounder disconnected error)

Next wire up S22 on its own to panel : "15 Call Engineer" on keypad (Tamper in system. Panel or sounder lid is open or, a smoke detector is disconnected from a smoke module. Display cleared by removing fault)
    If I press View 1 on kypad I get "1 Tamper SAB"

Does this mean all is ok with the s22 ?

Next I remove the link on the new bell between fault and the 2nd Tamper

Then wire up the bell to the s22

Tried the above 3 times now and still the same - new bell box rings when I close the tamper with the lid. (It does not ring until I close the tamper)
    Then move battery to INT

New bell box LED's come on

Close lid on bed box and it starts to ring (new bell box only not internal house bell)

Nothing on keypad

Try by open/close lid and alarm stays ringing (new bell box only not internal house bell)

To stop it - I remove battery from IN to EXT and then power down S22

Advertisement