Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Markets **General/Annual Bumper Thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Re the 2 posters travelling to Krakow... we went mid october, too early for Christmas markets unfortunately...
    Highly recommend the free walking tours, meeting point outside the Basilica in the main square, We did 2...the
    one around Old Town...took abt 2 hours. and the Jewish Quarter...took abt 2.5 hours. Great way to get your bearings.
    You tip at the end of the tour. Re shopping...There is a very big centre, all your big european brands, but nothing cheap
    there.....!!! It is very easy to work the currency. Divide by 4 gives you approx Euro equivalent. But stuff as dear as
    the Dundrum Shopping centre. Now, there must be cheaper places to shop, as the residents in Krakow very smartly
    dressed. No tracky bottoms and runners to be seen..... In the market place in the square, 2 of the units had
    these lovely little music boxes for PLN30 approx 7 r 8 euro. You could get lot of c.mas tunes, Silent Night, etc,
    and some disney tunes like Beauty and the Beast. We bought loads of them, and everybody loved them. I might.nt
    be able to answer everything...but ask if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Esto Fidelis

Hi munchin utd

It really depends on what your into, we went to the Winter Festival at Tollwood and it was very good, all types of market stalls and some with a hippy vibe but all sorts really. Also a music tent with a band, some German singing but also english.
    Hire a bike and get around as there are lots of markets to visit, the Deutsches Museum is worth a visit, we also got a train out to Dachau concentration.

Its a great place, enjoy it.

Esto
    To answer the "evening entertainment" thing.

It probably is the same in other german cities where theres proper formal shows, that you buy tickets for in advance
    Along with 2 the daily show options mentioned earlier, I forgot to mention to have a look at the Deutsches Theater which was renovated for a few 100million (the eejits started and then had to keep going) which has a german musical "Ich war noch niemals in New York", which should be a bit of craic.
    https://www.muenchenticket.de/search.jsp?venue=79151&cursor=0

The "Residenz Theater" which also includes the stupendously beautiful Cuvilles Theater seems to have nothing but plays in German, so not something for the english speaking audience really (but there are tours of the building I have heard)
    http://www.residenztheater.de/spielplan/2015-12
    8621810035_d4f30cd49d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

If anyone reads or hears anything about the Christmas Markets in Paris being cancelled this year or time restraints being put on them in terms in finishing by x-time in the evening...
    ^^^ I'd appreciate it if you'd post here.

I've found five Christmas Markets within handy walking distance from where I've booked but the above would be handy to know before I visit next month.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Sorry don't mean to move this thread away form the actual Christmas markets but I was about to order some Forint for a trip to Budapest but was told not to and to just use Euros over there?? Would this be right??

Not a good idea, the exchange rate will be terrible and you will get screwed. I was there a few years ago and in certain places they had signs saying that they accepted Euros but in hindsight it was a clearly a little earner for the person behind the counter and not for the customer's convenience because even with bank charges, it made more sense to get cash from a local bank ATM and use that for your cash purchases.

As with your hotel bill, always pay a vendor in the local (i.e. his) currency because you will be royally ripped off if you let him convert to Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tdireddi

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Planning on staying in Krakow. With the Christmas markets etc on, there's enough to see and do in the town considering we're only staying for three nights.

Well, how was your trip :) Any advice on things to do or see...also did you exchange your money here or did you use the Kantours/ATMS over there..?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Going to Prague this weekend for the markets and a bit o' ballet. Anybody know what time markets would start/close and if any in the different areas are good/bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

heading to Berlin in the morning hoping to indulge in some of the Christmas markets

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Tdireddi wrote: »
    Well, how was your trip :) Any advice on things to do or see...also did you exchange your money here or did you use the Kantours/ATMS over there..?

Thanks

It was brilliant but the Christmas markets were quite small. You'd pass only an hour or two in them. They've a beautiful tree in the square though and the markets that are there are lovely, some nice handmade bits and pieces.
    It's a very very cheap place to visit, and there's an awful lot to do and see if you've an interest in history. We went to Auschwitz, Schlinders factory, etc. I had a terrific time.
    Changed some money in the airport on the way over, €402 bought me 1600 zloty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Planning on going to Germany for Christmas markets with 2 kids (6.5 and 9.5 in Dec). Anyone able to say which city for markets would work best with kids please?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Haven't been to many but I'm a big fan of Berlin. There's so many to chose from within walking distance of each other. The one at Alexanderplatz had outdoor ice-rink and various small carnival style rides.

And because there are so many, you can get around and look at stalls / attractions without the big crowds.

Was in Dusseldorf last year - not great. Far too crowded. Did head out to Kettwig - there was a very small market there. It's a quaint little town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Dortmund had a great one when I lived there

http://www.dortmunderweihnachtsmarkt.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Essen Christmas market is quite nice, big ferris wheel. Cologne was just the best though, real Christmas feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

firstly, cities dont normally have "a" christmas market but there's multiple ones with various themes, so for example theres 150 christmas markets in and around Munich ("only" 31 of them in the city itsself).
    http://www.ganz-muenchen.de/freizeitfitness/weihnachten/maerkte.html (in german)

a few of the Munich ones are designed for kids or have fairy tale corners including one in the Residenz royal palace with a fairytale corner and one down at the Slaughterhouse quarter which has puppet shows and whatnot, theres a medieval market with all the people dressed up in that sort of stuff, and the crib market which funny enough is dedicated to selling crib figures. And theres "the christmas market" down at the main town hall square at Marienplatz which to be honest is to be enjoyed in small doses as it does tend to be crowded at the busier times.
    Best of all though, if one market is too full and overpowering, theres options to go somewhere more quiet if the needs need a bit of space.

Berlin has similar advantages but its a city which is slightly bigger than the size of county louth, so to get from one to the other can take a while if you dont stick to the very city centre ones.

to get there, theres aerlingus flights twice a day from Dublin, pretty much every day with Lufthansa, and a bit of a Ryanair service to nearby Memmingen (and flights from Shannon and Cork to Memmingen and Munich, but only a couple of flights a week)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Memmingen itself has a small little market. You get the impression it's as it has been for years, aimed at locals, not tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Berlin has similar advantages but its a city which is slightly bigger than the size of county louth, so to get from one to the other can take a while if you dont stick to the very city centre ones.

But unlike Co. Louth, Berlin has an underground railway (U-bahn) so getting around is dead easy. A daily pass for a 'small group' (up to 5 persons) for travel on all public transport in zones A&B costs €17.30, add outer zone C for an extra 50c. The ticket is valid from first validation (at the start of your first journey) to 3 a.m. the following morning. You can buy them in any shop displaying this sign...

logo-head.gif

The advantage of a large city is that you can visit a different market each day, even get one in in the daytime and do another one in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

coylemj wrote: »
    But unlike Co. Louth, Berlin has an underground railway (U-bahn) so getting around is dead easy. A daily pass for a 'small group' (up to 5 persons) for travel on all public transport in zones A&B costs €17.30, add outer zone C for an extra 50c. The ticket is valid from first validation (at the start of your first journey) to 3 a.m. the following morning. You can buy them in any shop displaying this sign...
    sorry, but the point I am making is simply that when you want to get from one market to another, it may be "easy" but it certainly isnt quick.

Looking randomly at 2 markets I see that are child friendly, at FEZ Berlin, Wuhlheide and Schloss Grunwald, to get from one to the other takes at least an hour and 20minutes.
    Childless, hand in hand with your lover or best friend chatting about future plans or old times, thats grand, youre happy and not bored and the world is great. Sure with a bag of cans you wouldnt even notice the time pass.
    But an hour and twenty minutes with two young kids, changing twice en route with a walk before hand and after, thats an epic trek for them.

you can compare that with Munich, where you can get from the child friendly market at the residence (and adjacent medieval market) to the slaughterhouse district to the market with the childrens entertainment with minimal walking and a direct no change underground in 6 minutes.

Berlin is great but its similar to London in that its a big place to get around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Actually, I was in Munich last year and found it to be quite walkable for adults. The train network was excellent too. Our favourite market was the one at the Chinese tower in the English gardens. Wouldn't leave that one out if you go, seemed to be much more full with locals and families just relaxing and enjoying atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I would choose Nuremberg. I think it is one of the oldest Christmas markets in Germany and the city is a little less obvious choice for tourists than Berlin and Munich (which are both amazing cities btw).
    Nuremberg old town is also a complete fairytale place and if you are lucky enough to have snow, you would think you have been teleported back to a Christmas fairytale from old times!
    You can fly there very easily and cheaply via Stansted.

Thanks for all the replies. We're leaving our baby with mother in law so time is of the essence. Direct flight a must, we're living in Galway so ideally from Shannon or knock but realistically I already expect it'll be Dublin airport.

Munich sounds v nice, will check flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Went to Cologne last year and it was lovely. There were around 5 markets all close together. Would definitely recommend it. Bring an empty case!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, I have Berlin booked.

Tchibo have some great deals on hotels too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Going to Prague this weekend for the markets and a bit o' ballet. Anybody know what time markets would start/close and if any in the different areas are good/bad?

I'll answer my own questions for anyone thinking of Prague. The market in Old Town square is the best and a fantastic Christmassy experience. They had a massive tree, a "stable" with real animals, much singing on stage and a helluva lot of stalls. Plenty of food stalls too.

Next best was at the castle. There was a small one on Wenceslas Square and a couple of other small ones dotted about. The markets were still going by 11pm anyway.

For a bit of culture we had our first ballet experience at The Nutcracker in the National Theatre. It was all in Czech but totally worth it. Real, old-world class. Overall, I'd thoroughly recommend Prague for the Christmas experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Furthermore on entertainment in Prague, I'd also recommend catching a black light theatre show which is very popular there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Any opinions on the Christmas Markets in Copenhagen? Trying to convince the other half to come with me. I have yet to visit the city and the markets may help me lure him!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Parchment wrote: »
    Any opinions on the Christmas Markets in Copenhagen? Trying to convince the other half to come with me. I have yet to visit the city and the markets may help me lure him!

My wife and I would definitely NOT recommend the Christmas market in Copenhagen. A huge disappointment - very overrated. I have no idea how it ends up on the top 10 lists so often. It is very much at the bottom of our list and we've been to numerous ones over the years.

The city is pleasant enough but the Christmas atmosphere was quite lacking compared with German cities. And the prices of drinks such as mulled wine are ridiculous. Their most popular market is in the famous Tivoli amusement park and it was just OK in our opinion. You have to pay to enter and the rides cost extra too. The food was also meh.

Our top choices have to be Cologne+Bonn, Nuremberg+Regensburg, Frankfurt->Black Forest (many small cities around Stuttgart for day trips).

Hope this advice doesn't disappoint you but there are so many other better choices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

We normally go to Prague for the Christmas period and it's great because all the Christmas markets, pubs and restaurants stay open but the flights are expensive this year so can any one recommend any European city that also stays open over the Christmas period? cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We have booked Brussels for the first weekend in December. Anyone here been to that one?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

ScottSF wrote: »
    My wife and I would definitely NOT recommend the Christmas market in Copenhagen. A huge disappointment - very overrated. I have no idea how it ends up on the top 10 lists so often. It is very much at the bottom of our list and we've been to numerous ones over the years.

The city is pleasant enough but the Christmas atmosphere was quite lacking compared with German cities. And the prices of drinks such as mulled wine are ridiculous. Their most popular market is in the famous Tivoli amusement park and it was just OK in our opinion. You have to pay to enter and the rides cost extra too. The food was also meh.

Our top choices have to be Cologne+Bonn, Nuremberg+Regensburg, Frankfurt->Black Forest (many small cities around Stuttgart for day trips).

Hope this advice doesn't disappoint you but there are so many other better choices :)

Oh dear, my boyfriend has booked us a trip to Copenhagen specifically for the Christmas markets in December! I'm still looking forward to it but won't get too excited based on this, lol. Did it have anything to recommend itself for a visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

finbarrk wrote: »
    We have booked Brussels for the first weekend in December. Anyone here been to that one?
    It was big enough, with ice rink and ferris wheel.
    They did have some stalls with a "craft label", but the majority were selling Made in China rubbish, so it was quite disappointing compared to the markets in Germany, I am afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

finbarrk wrote: »

When i went a good few years ago there was just some stalls scattered around the grand palace area. Make sure you take a trip (even better if you make it an overnight) to Brugges. They also have a christmas market in the mainsquare and when i was there there was an incredible ice sculpture festival next to the train station. I 'think' it is an annual thing. Plus the town itself is just beautiful and even more so when it is lit up at night and the crowds are gone. I also really liked ghent which is on the same train line as brugges - its a bigger city as it is a university town but still a lot of beautful buildings.

Advertisement