Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**What is (or will be!) on your CAO 2014?**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Maths is screwing me over at the moment but I like it.

NCI seems great. _Tyrell_ seems to like it.
    Aye maths is a bummer at the moment for me as well. The fact my lecturer makes easy things so complicated doesn't help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Musicis4life13

1.Biomedical Science UCC
    2.Biomedical Science DIT
    3.Biological and Chemical Sciences UCC
    4.Arts UL
    Don't have any idea for the rest..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

1.Biomedical Science UCC
    2.Biomedical Science DIT
    3.Biological and Chemical Sciences UCC
    4.Arts UL
    Don't have any idea for the rest..

see you in UCC :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

BA Int Journalism and French, DIT (340)
    BA Int Film and Broadcasting with French, DIT (450)
    BA Hons English, Media and Cultural Studies, IADT (300)
    BA Journalism, Griffith College Dublin
    BA Int Media Studies, NUIM (460)
    BA Hons Journalism, DCU (435)

MJC Print Journalism and Radio, Ballyfermot CFE

All I got so far, but I'm also doing UCAS - only got UU Coleraine (Journalism with French) atm but considering applying to some of the English/Welsh universities too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

CAO opens tuesday... I still have no idea what's going on mine
    *Crawls into a hole and cries*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

CAO opens tuesday... I still have no idea what's going on mine
    *Crawls into a hole and cries*

You still have loads of time. Open days are coming up this month so hopefully you'll have some idea after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mirror Image

SChique00 wrote: »
    BA Int Journalism and French, DIT (340)
    BA Int Film and Broadcasting with French, DIT (450)
    BA Hons English, Media and Cultural Studies, IADT (300)
    BA Journalism, Griffith College Dublin
    BA Int Media Studies, NUIM (460)
    BA Hons Journalism, DCU (435)

MJC Print Journalism and Radio, Ballyfermot CFE

All I got so far, but I'm also doing UCAS - only got UU Coleraine (Journalism with French) atm but considering applying to some of the English/Welsh universities too :o

I've put Bangor and Cardiff down in UCAS for Journalism, and University of Sterling in Scotland for Journalism/Sports Studies.

And Journalism in DCU will be my first choice for CAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Flickka

1. Medicine NUIG (739)
    2. Medicine RCSI (742)
    3. Medicine UCC (742)
    4. Dental Science TCD (585)
    5. Pharmacy TCD (565)
    6. Biomedical Science NUIG (545)
    7. Nanoscience TCD (585)
    8. Human Nutrition & Dietetics UCD (545)
    9. Radiography UCD (535)
    10.Science NUIG (405)

Subject to change :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

1. DN440 Biomedical, Health and Life Sciences (560)
    2. DN200 Science (505)
    3. TR071 Science (510)
    4. TR056 Human Health and Disease (535)
    5. TR073 Human Genetics (560)
    6. MH201 Science (415)
    7. DC168 Genetics and Cell Biology (495)
    8. TR072 Pharmacy (565)
    9. DC161 Analytical Science (460)
    10. DT204 Biomedical Science (495)

Currently torn between going down the Biomedical/Human health route, or just a general science degree.. very, very, very torn.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Flickka wrote: »
    1. Medicine NUIG (739)
    2. Medicine RCSI (742)
    3. Medicine UCC (742)
    5. Pharmacy TCD (565)
    7. Nanoscience TCD (585)
    9. Radiography UCD (535)
    10.Science NUIG (405)

If you're dead set on medicine for f*** sake get rid of Dent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 6YearStruggle

I don't know if this hasn't been laid out to leaving cert students yet and believe me, I was confused by it last year before it was explained too but your cao choices should be done by putting the one you want most and then any other courses below it should be less points, unless you think points will drop to below your first choice points. Take this as an example, this is your cao:

1. Law and Accounting- UL (420)
    2. Law- Trinity (530)
    3. Law and French- Trinity (560)
    4. Law- UCC (480)

There's no point in putting courses of higher points below your first preference as if you don't get the points for the first, you won't have the points for any of them. Of course if your first choice is one you badly want, keep it as that and research into courses with lower points and put them below.

If you get 550 points, many would assume that you'd get Law in TCD but you won't, you'll get Law and Accounting in UL as that's your first choice and you got the points for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gf13

Before you judge I know this is so stupid!

But, I spelt my name wrong on my cao.. Will it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

Gf13 wrote: »

Only for 4 years of your college life. Or between 5 and 7 if you do masters/phd. You should try and change it as your university will know you as that name for your whole time in college

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Gf13 wrote: »

My friend did something similar but he got it changed quickly. Contact the CAO and get it corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    My friend did something similar but he got it changed quickly. Contact the CAO and get it corrected.

I think forms come later in the year where you can change any detail on the CAO including your name. I'm sure if you rang them now they might be able to do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

Could I be the only looper considering Architecture in UCD? Seeing that a M.Arch. is 5 years inclusive, a lot can change within that timeframe. With the off-putting saturation of the Computer Science industry, the tables may turn in years to come. Points do not seem to be indicative of the future status of an industry. What goes up, must come down - sorry for being so grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Exo wrote: »
    Could I be the only looper considering Architecture in UCD? Seeing that a M.Arch. is 5 years inclusive, a lot can change within that timeframe. With the off-putting saturation of the Computer Science industry, the tables may turn in years to come. Points do not seem to be indicative of the future status of an industry. What goes up, must come down - sorry for being so grim.

Im doing what I want to do. Luckily there is money in it. If you want to be an architect do it. There is money in everything for the ones good at it and every industry has ups and downs.

Days 298 wrote: »
    Im doing what I want to do. Luckily there is money in it. If you want to be an architect do it. There is money in everything for the ones good at it and every industry has ups and downs.

I understand, sorry for mentioning the market saturation piece - just bringing across my views. I'm basically in the same boat; choosing what I'm most capable of and would enjoy doing the most. However, during the open day, the figures they gave of graduates who emigrate to work in Architecture was alarming - over 50%. The rest either pursue another profession, or find a related job here in Architecture. Suppose it's a risk I'm willing to take!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Exo wrote: »
    I understand, sorry for mentioning the market saturation piece - just bringing across my views. I'm basically in the same boat; choosing what I'm most capable of and would enjoy doing the most. However, during the open day, the figures they gave of graduates who emigrate to work in Architecture was alarming - over 50%. The rest either pursue another profession, or find a related job here in Architecture. Suppose it's a risk I'm willing to take!
    Im not doing CS next year so have no idea what jobs are like at all.

There are jobs all over the world. Once you are footloose after college you could make a good stash before settling here. The Middle East comes to mind. Ridiculous money with zero tax. And looking at the price of oil there is only one way Arab spending is going and that is more ridiculous .

Am I the only one who has
    Absolutely
    No
    Idea

• Advertisement

If you're dead set on medicine for f*** sake get rid of Dent

Erm why? Surely people are supposed to have second choices?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Flickka wrote: »
    1. Medicine NUIG (739)
    2. Medicine RCSI (742)
    3. Medicine UCC (742)
    5. Pharmacy TCD (565)
    7. Nanoscience TCD (585)
    9. Radiography UCD (535)
    10.Science NUIG (405)

If your heart is set on medicine Trinity and UCD do it as well. You probably know this already is there a reason you don't have them down?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

1/2. Arts - NUIM
    1/2. Arts - NUIG
    3. Accounting and Finance - NUIM
    4. Business and Accounting - NUIM
    5. Arts (Joint Honours) - UL
    6. Irish and Business Studies - SPT
    7. Business Studies and Accounting - SPT
    8. Agricultural Science - Animal and Crop Production - UCD

Really after the first two, there just there to fill space

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

1. BIS (UCC)
    2. Commerce (UCC)
    3. Accounting (UCC)
    4. Finance (UCC)
    5. Commerce (UCD)
    6. BIS (CIT)
    7. BIS (NUIG)
    8. Marketing w/ online media+ advertising (WIT)
    9. BIS (DBS)
    10. BIS w/ cloud computing (DBS)

Business orientated, definitely aimed at studying BIS.

thelad95 wrote: »
    If your heart is set on medicine Trinity and UCD do it as well. You probably know this already is there a reason you don't have them down?

Yeah it's all I want to do. Galway is definitely number one for me so there really isn't any point putting down UCD or Trinity when they have been consistently ~10 points higher every year. Galway, RCSI and UCC are nearly all equal now. That's my reasoning anyway. I have dental science as my second choice but to be honest I'd rather repeat the LC if I didn't get in this year.

Days 298 wrote: »
    Im not doing CS next year so have no idea what jobs are like at all.

There are jobs all over the world. Once you are footloose after college you could make a good stash before settling here. The Middle East comes to mind. Ridiculous money with zero tax. And looking at the price of oil there is only one way Arab spending is going and that is more ridiculous .

Funny you would mention the Middle East, it's actually a place I'd like to locate to and have previously looked into - Saudi, Qatar and UAE are thriving on infrastructure, always have and always will be. Quality of life is pretty good if you find yourself in a populated area; believe me, when they see my name on a CV, they won't have issues employing a fellow brother :D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

Am I the only one who has
    Absolutely
    No
    Idea

I'm the exact same, don't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Do you have to put courses down before the first?Ive applied to the CAO but didnt put any courses down, should i put them down anyway? :confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Actually CAO closed at 5:15 today until May 5th. If you are applying for a restricted course i.e. Medicine then you can pay ten euro to enter it into CAO and then you can sit the preliminary exams.

• Advertisement

Actually, it closes tomorrow at 17:15. You are not required to place any courses down at this stage, however if you wish to apply to restricted courses (medicine, and some other pre-assessment related courses), then you must apply (put down on your CAO) before tomorrows deadline. Click here for change of mind closing/openings. The CAO closes for some periods of time throughout the year at which you will not be able to change course information.

Advertisement