Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

So I turned in my N.Ireland Licence for a ROI replacement.

I seemed to have lost some categories. Is this ment to happen?

I have retained A C1 BE with a medical report.

But have lost D1 D1+E C1+E

. Can they do this?? I have the entitlement yet they take it anyway.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Did you provide a medical cert from a GP with your application. ?

Yes. Local Doctor signed the form..

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭cnoc

Yes. Local Doctor signed the form..

Did s/he mark X in Groups 1 & 2?

Yes. C1 is Cat 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

So I turned in my N.Ireland Licence for a ROI replacement.

I seemed to have lost some categories. Is this ment to happen?

I have retained A C1 BE with a medical report.

But have lost D1 D1+E C1+E

. Can they do this?? I have the entitlement yet they take it anyway.. :confused:

Most older UK and NI licences have restriction codes - ,79, 101, 107 or NFHR (not for hire or reward) - essentially the weight is lower than a similar vehicle in Rep. Of Ireland and vehicles cannot be driven commercially. These categories were generally granted without the holder passing a test in a truck or bus. The RSA therefore only grants a C1 (small truck <7500kg). Ring the NDLS helpline and they will confirm whether such restrictions were on your licence - tel. 0761 087 880

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

^^^ Lets us know please how you get on with your NDLS enquiries OP?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Patww79 wrote: »

If you're happy with the address in its entirety then you need to do nothing to keep it.

The medical form is only used if you have some sort of condition or is, like ancient..

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭alanzo27

Had a bad experience today. First time learner permit application.

I read through the guidelines several times through, making absolutely sure I had all the correct documentation. Prepared in advance and booked the appointment 2 weeks prior.

Arrived at the NDLS Centre, very busy. No one at reception so was a unsure where to queue etc. Went in next door and saw a sign that if you arranged an appointment you just take a seat and wait for your name to be called. Fair enough.

Name gets called, so on I go to the booth. Prepared all of the documentation from each category as required, all matching details from application.

- Both application forms for driving permit and driving eye test (dated within one month)

1) Irish Passport for Photo ID(Only renewed it recently)
    a) Original Long Form Birth Certificate to prove residency

2) PPS no. with Public Services Card

3) Proof of Address - Had two forms of proof, Letter from An Garda Siochana and letter from the DTT dated and addressed to me confirming theory test pass (dated within 6 months)

My application was rejected on lack of evidence for proof of address. I don't understand why, all details matched application and the letters were dated and showed my address. I've lived in the same location all my life. I help pay bills but none of them are in my name apart from my mobile phone bill which isn't accepted.

What other proof do they want? I've given everything I had to the best of my ability. I was going to provide a bank statement but none of them are dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what was the letter from the gardai ? was it official correspondence on headed paper?

alanzo27 wrote: »
    What other proof do they want? I've given everything I had to the best of my ability. I was going to provide a bank statement but none of them are dated.

Long list of acceptable documents on the NDLS website.

what was the letter from the gardai ? was it official correspondence on headed paper?

It was an Age Card Renewal form, dated and addressed to me.

Just so confused and frustrated by the application process. You think you have everything correct but then something else goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It was an Age Card Renewal form, dated and addressed to me.

Just so confused and frustrated by the application process. You think you have everything correct but then something else goes wrong.

did you ask them why it wasnt acceptable?

did you ask them why it wasnt acceptable?

Yes, I was told no date was shown when it clearly showed the date on the letterhead, dated within March, so very recent.

I even pointed it out and I wasn't getting any satisfaction. I was told to book a new appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Yes, I was told no date was shown when it clearly showed the date on the letterhead, dated within March, so very recent.

I even pointed it out and I wasn't getting any satisfaction. I was told to book a new appointment.

Theory cert is issued by a private company Prometric so not acceptable. But Garda form is a state agency, if correctly dated and printed as you say, I would be ringing Road Safety Authority to put in a complaint - 1890 40 60 40. Was it one of the Dublin offices? High turnover of staff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Was it an age card renewal form, or a letter? If it was a renewal form then this wouldn't meet the requirements, but a dated letter on headed paper would. Theory test letters also do not meet the requirements as they are not on the list of accepted documents.

Next time bring a bank statement with you, even if it isn't dated on the top, the transaction dates are sufficient.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, at least I know now. But that is not what the staff member I was dealing with said to me. I was told if the bank statement has no date at the top that it is not acceptable. I was also told the Age Card Renewal form would have been fine if it was dated within 6 months - which it was.

In reply to Vologda69, it was a Dublin based office.

I have since phoned the RSA to let them know of my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Booked my renewal there for the end of the month. First time I've done so since getting the license (10 years ago)

Quick one on the "do you need glasses" question.. back then I didn't, now I would/do but have never had any kind of formal report. I presume just tick yes?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Booked my renewal there for the end of the month. First time I've done so since getting the license (10 years ago)

Quick one on the "do you need glasses" question.. back then I didn't, now I would/do but have never had any kind of formal report. I presume just tick yes?

Yes. It's a self declaration which is perfectly acceptable on a renewal. First time permit applicants must provide a report and anyone who would no longer need glasses, such as someone who had laser surgery would have to provide a report to remove the 01 notation.

Just a word of caution, if you need glasses for driving and you have the 01 notation on the back of the licence, you must wear you glasses at all times while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Is there anyway to tell if it's noted on the old paper license? It's out in the car (and I'm watching football :p) but don't recall any 01 code

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Is there anyway to tell if it's noted on the old paper license? It's out in the car (and I'm watching football :p) but don't recall any 01 code

The 01 notation on a paper licence will be written just after the category end dates on the right hand side.

Thanks for that, at least I know now. But that is not what the staff member I was dealing with said to me. I was told if the bank statement has no date at the top that it is not acceptable. I was also told the Age Card Renewal form would have been fine if it was dated within 6 months - which it was.

In reply to Vologda69, it was a Dublin based office.

I have since phoned the RSA to let them know of my experience.

Update on this. I applied in the Naas Centre today, all went smoothly and staff members lovely to deal with. Same documents as before.

My permit is on the way :D

Now I just need the confidence to start driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

Howdy all,

Quick advice needed.

I'm away on holidays next Tuesday and just applied for a replacement license. Of course I'm renting, and didn't know they would take my old one.

Any ideas on my chances of getting it in time? Or does anyone have experience of getting it faster by calling/collecting in person etc.

• Advertisement

Afaik there is nothing you can do to speed things up, and it's unlikely it will be ready until a few weeks.
    Do you need licence while away?
    You can try ringing them but tbh it's not them, it's the manufacturing process that takes a long time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement