Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Middleage Fanclub

Any idea if the NDLS office in Wicklow is open this Easter Saturday ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭goochy

Ru mad ? Isnt that sacred!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭goochy

Ru mad ? Isnt that sacred!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭blackbox

Is it ever open on a Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

yeah but on the other hand you need to change licence plates every time when a car changes owner - and pay of it !

Tom

Not everytime.
    If you buy a car from someone living in the same area as you, you don't need to change reg plates.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you would have people complaining about having to go back to the NDLS center twice and taking even more time off work.

That's why I listed two option, and only one requires double visit to NDLS.

Exchange of foreign license,

For renewals, you can drive on an expired Dutch Driving license while waiting for your new one (in the Netherlands only) as long as you applied for the new one before the old one expired, waiting period is 5 days.

Sounds very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,240 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

CiniO wrote: »
    That's why I listed two option, and only one requires double visit to NDLS.

Your option one is the current situation. In my case i received the new licence in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I work for car hire company and I ve been renting cars all over the world and Im sure in 100% photocopy is not enough,also im pretty sure you wont get licence in 10 days from NDLS.Im waiting since January :D

Get on to them ASAP. You only have short period it can be lost in the post before it can be considered delivered, lost by you and you're trying it on.

blackbox wrote: »
    Is it ever open on a Saturday?

I don't know if they all are or only some but yes NDLS offices open on Saturdays normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.ndls.ie/where-to-apply.html
    Click the blue pin to get opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Middleage Fanclub

Yup, I can see it's open Saturdays. I'm just suspicious about Easter Saturday. Anyhoo, I'll head down in hope more than expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Open 9-5 on Good Friday and 9-2 on Easter Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 40 YearZero

EDIT

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just want to apply for my Motorbike Licence, new applicant and I have my eye-test booked for this week but does anyone know about the current waiting times for Tralee/average for anywhere really as a walk-in on a Saturday?

I'll have to walk-in Saturday week as I'm in Clare for a cycle this week-end so postponed another week.

Many Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

/Downside to my current job is working Mon->Fri , miss the shift-work and miss having days off mid-week for errands like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

kerry4sam wrote: »
    does anyone know about the current waiting times for Tralee/average for anywhere really as a walk-in on a Saturday?

How long is a piece of string?! It could be busy, or it could be quiet. My advice would be to get in as early as possible and bring a newspaper just in case you've to wait a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Heading to clarehall in the morning, booked a place but it's 2 weeks away, going to chance it 9am .

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Heading to clarehall in the morning, booked a place but it's 2 weeks away, going to chance it 9am .

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Looking for a bit of information that I can't see on the NDLS website.

My licence has gone missing and I'm booked in to get a replacement. I see replacements cost €35. My licence is due for renewal in 2017, so can I apply for a 10 year one for the usual licence fee of €55

Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You can't renew earlier than 3 months before the old one expires. The replacement licence will retain the 2017 expiry date of the lost one.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2006/si/537/made/en/print#article12
    (3) An application by the holder of a driving licence for a driving licence shall not be made more than 3 months before the date of expiry of the driving licence held by the applicant except where the applicant is applying for a driving licence in respect of vehicles of a category which the applicant is not then licensed to drive.

• Advertisement

Cheers. Why am I not surprised

If nothing has changed then all you're entitled to do is get a replacement. If you could simply 'lose' your licence every other year and doing something underhanded with it, it would be great. There would also be medical report implications for people with group 2's. Then there those approaching 70. There are a ton of other reasons why one can only get a replacement for the lost licence and it is worse for learner permit holder who have to pay the same €35 and learner permits are 2 years max.

On the other hand if you pass a new category practical test these days, they will issue a new 10 year licence starting today. Or, if you hold entitlements that aren't currently on your licence such as any motorbike (or moped) categories, BE or any group 2's, you can add them now and get your 10 year licence starting today at €55.

cantdecide wrote: »
    If nothing has changed then all you're entitled to do is get a replacement. If you could simply 'lose' your licence every other year and doing something underhanded with it, it would be great. There would also be medical report implications for people with group 2's. Then there those approaching 70. There are a ton of other reasons why one can only get a replacement for the lost licence and it is worse for learner permit holder who have to pay the same €35 and learner permits are 2 years max.

On the other hand if you pass a new category practical test these days, they will issue a new 10 year licence starting today. Or, if you hold entitlements that aren't currently on your licence such as any motorbike (or moped) categories, BE or any group 2's, you can add them now and get your 10 year licence starting today at €55.

I'm not trying to pull any 'stroke'. I'm willing to forfeit the balance I've already paid on a licence to 2017 for a 10 year licence to 2025 at €55. I'm entitled to renew unhindered by medical or age restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

God , you know you are getting old when you are confused by forms that seem to be laid out in plain english .

I am renewing my licence with NDLS , it's my first time for the new type plastic licence . Do I need to bring a birth cert with me for it or will my own driving licence do ?

Thanks in advance

John

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

biko wrote: »

Thanks a lot for that , I was really struggling to get my head around it , must be my age .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Renewed license in clarehall a couple if weeks ago. Even though I had an appointment I was mentally prepared for a nightmare experience.

Walked in just before my appointment time, was about to take a seat and my name was called. All done in less than 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Renewed license in clarehall a couple if weeks ago. Even though I had an appointment I was mentally prepared for a nightmare experience.

Walked in just before my appointment time, was about to take a seat and my name was called. All done in less than 10 minutes.
    Same for me at Ballyogan recently - no appointment but in and out in 15 mins max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Goose81

Hi,

I have to renew my driver permit for a bike that is out of date in the next few days, I have a full car licence already.

Is it correct that I have to make an appointment at a centre to renew my licence?

They have all my details including digital picture on file already

Surely that cant be right and I can post it in, the next available date is in October with no offices in town what a terrible service

tks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

"You can also visit any NDLS Centre without an appointment

Please be aware that available slots for people walking in are on a first come first served basis and fill up very quickly."

Source

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement