Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 seekenee

A History of Rock Music in 500 songs

Andrew Hickey charting the history of rock focussing on one song per episode, he's up to 1967 now and they're getting longer as he goes along.

Very informative and entertaining, with sound clips, would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

[Call Jonathan Pie] Introducing Call Jonathan Pie #callJonathanPie 

https://podcastaddict.com/call-jonathan-pie/episode/158681053 via @PodcastAddict

Loving the Jonathan Pie podcast.

It's a comedy radio show about a radio phone-in show. Very funny and very thought provoking in places.

Anyone who knows the Jonathan Pie YouTube videos will know the vibe. In the videos he plays a Westminster reporter who goes on rants between the on-air segments. The radio show is similar well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I'm probably mega late to the party but only recently discovered "The Rest is History" (while searching for Oppenheimer content)

I've tried various history pods over the years but always find them either too serious/boring or trying and failing to be too funny.

But this one seems to find the sweet spot, covers all the details without taking itself too seriously

Following Newstalk sports podcasts moving to a severely overpriced payment model, I've unsubscribed from all of them and it's only now I've seen how much they were clogging up my feed 😲

Anyway, some fresh recommendations:

* Call Jonathan Pie - a scripted comedy from the BBC which seems to skewer every possible angle of British society/politics...very funny imho, kind of like a sweary Alan Partridge

* Sport Strangest Crimes - long running investigative series covering everything from Shergar to Marco Pantani

* The Retrievals (from Serial) - another excellent investigation from the Serial team....tough listen at times though 😕

* I'm Not Here to Hurt You - started this yesterday, wasn't aware of the case so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

The Scandal Mongers has a few interesting episodes, well worth a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭Suckler

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

Long shot but I need a recommendation for a podcast.

I enjoy the occasional true crime podcast and read recently that the Long Island serial killer was captured after a few decades. I went to find a podcast and there is literally a dozen! Any trailers I've listened to sound kinda awful and overly dramatic.

Anyone tried one and can recommend? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I don't know but if you find one let us know.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I quite enjoyed the Spy Valley podcast. Its about an engineer in Silicon Valley who is selling top secret info to the Soviets during the cold War 70's & 80's.

Not the best espionage podcast I've listened to but I liked how the makers didn't drag it out and its only six 30 - 40 mins episodes. An easy binge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

LISK Long Island serial killer podcast might be the best one.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭OrangeLavender

I've been liking this lately, the Slow Newscast. I find the majority of the episodes hold my interest

https://www.tortoisemedia.com/listen/the-slow-newscast/

Not usually a fan of true crime, but "Your Own Backyard" is worth a listen imho.

I really enjoyed "Unsealed: The Tylenol Murders" podcast.

It focuses on a series of deaths in the early 80's caused by someone replacing pain meds with cyanide capsules in a bunch of pharmacies in (you guessed it) America. No one has ever been charged in relation to it.

It is made by journalists from the Chicago Tribune so quality of investigation and production is of a high standard

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Really enjoying a podcast called No Such Thing as a Bad Movie lately where they talk about a different"bad" film every couple of weeks.

If you like red letter media on YouTube it would in a similar vein to that, one of the hosts actually pops up on rlm every now and then as a guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Anyone listening to "The Wedding scammer"? It's the top listened to on Spotify.

Yep currently listening to it. Final episode is out next week I believe.

It's... Good but personally I am not a fan of the podcast style. I'm still hooked enough to listen each week though.

It is not entirely wedding themed by the way! The subject of the podcast has scammed people in various ways and industries.

I feel its worth a listen but I was debating if I'd add it here as a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Good recommendation. Very easy to listen to and would never have found it without reading about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

The joe marler show

Famous English rugby player Joe marler and Tom fordyce with a really funny and interesting podcast bringing on Guests from all walks of life talking about the different and interesting jobs they have.

Two episodes of note that were a laugh but also interesting were "about competitive eaters" with leah shutkever and also "about masseuses" with emma o reilly who was the masseuse for lance armstrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭joinme

Maybe already mentioned, but I really enjoyed Ghost Story from Wonderly. Starts out as an old fashioned haunting in an old house story , but becomes much more interesting as a whodunit mystery. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭OrangeLavender

I'm glad someone else found it interesting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I'd recommend Scamfluencers. A different story every episode - some really ingenious scammers and some really stupid people out there.

Also enjoying The Missing Cryptoqueen at the moment. I'm afraid to Google anything about it as it's fairly recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Going to recommend In Our Time with Melvin Bragg, from BBC4. It is "boring" in the sense that it picks a topic in history and discusses with a panel of academics. Very educational and insightful.

No ads, no suspenseful background music, no teasers, no banter between podcast hosts trying to be funny. Just well informed information and discussion. A tonic for the bullshiittery of a lot of modern podcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Sunjava

David McSavage's podcast - And that's they we're not together.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Might be mentioned already but can highly recommend The Belly Of The Beast , documenting the role of Ned Broy in the founding of the State.Most people including myself have never heard of the man but it's a fascinating story well told and it's a shame that he's so overlooked in this tumultuous period of our history.

The entire Goalhanger family of podcasts are great. I currently subscribe to The rest is entertainment, The rest is Money, and The rest is football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Probably said 100 times in this thread but The Two Norries Podcast is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

The Newagents are great they do a US and UK podcast , always engaging

John Sopel talks a little fast

Currently also listening to Pivot and The week in tech . Long podcasts so not too much queing up needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Not So Quiet On The Western Front is brilliant. If you love the Rest is History then you'll like this. Very well spoken and produced, great length per episode too.

Advertisement