Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Das Reich wrote: »
    Hello I am from Brazil and I used to eat a lot hearts of palm there. Anyone knows if they are available in Dublin any shopping selling?

Try here: http://www.southamericanshop.com/zona-de-cobertura/

They sell them in cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Do any shops do "potato" burger buns? in particular anything like these "martins" brand ones.

On lots of US sites about burgers these keep being mentioned.

martins-potato-rolls.jpg

How Martin’s Potato Rolls Became the ‘It’ Burger Bun

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

beertons wrote: »
    Came home with a jar of beetroot as I said I wanted to eat it in a sambo. Can't get the lid off. Food satisfaction, terrible.

Beetroot open. Had to pierce the top with a bottle opener. Wahey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Beetroot open. Had to pierce the top with a bottle opener. Wahey.

safer it just tap the edge of the lid with the back of a knife in a few different places

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

silverharp wrote: »
    safer it just tap the edge of the lid with the back of a knife in a few different places

I usually tap the edges of the lid off the chopping board and it loosens fine.

• Advertisement

It was tapped out. Bar the hammer, everything got a shot at it. Done now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It was tapped out. Bar the hammer, everything got a shot at it. Done now.

A teaspoon between the lid and the jar with gentle pressure usually releases a jar quickly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Me as a non-drinker and having equal knowledge about alcohol wants to get wine for cooking.
    Cheap enough, what would be the best dry to go for in Lidl/Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

LirW wrote: »
    Me as a non-drinker and having equal knowledge about alcohol wants to get wine for cooking.

People will tell you otherwise but I mostly buy the cheapest wine I can find for cooking.

These days cheap wine is drinkable unlike the cheap gutrot of yore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

People will tell you otherwise but I mostly buy the cheapest wine I can find for cooking.

These days cheap wine is drinkable unlike the cheap gutrot of yore.

I’m pretty much the same. I don’t got super cheap but I certainly don’t take the advice of a lot of chefs that say get the most expensive wine you can afford for cooking. The only
    Thing to watch out for is to try and not get an overly sweet wine which can sometimes be the case with cheap plonk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

LirW wrote: »

Conde Noble. Dry Spanish white, €3.99 a pop in Lidl. They do a red too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

rubadub wrote: »
    Do any shops do "potato" burger buns? in particular anything like these "martins" brand ones.

On lots of US sites about burgers these keep being mentioned.

How Martin’s Potato Rolls Became the ‘It’ Burger Bun

Would love to know too, they look great.

Bbq on the cards today, that's a given anyway.

I must have been dreaming about a slow cooker Mexican chicken dish last night, because it was the first thing I thought of this morning. And judging by the Pinterest things, it shall be amazing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Bbq on the cards today, that's a given anyway.

I'm moving house in a few months and my BBQ has already gone into storage :(

I'm moving house in a few months and my BBQ has already gone into storage :(

Pm me your number, and you'll get an invite. I'd never have a guy off Sesame Street go hungry during this warm weather.

Pm me your number, and you'll get an invite. I'd never have a guy off Sesame Street go hungry during this warm weather.

I'll bring Big Bird if you can provide the marinade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm just home after two days of being fed by Richard Corrigan - I'd be levitating only for the fact that I ate so much. There wasn't a morsel that wasn't delicious, and yesterday there was a barbecue on the lawn in glorious sunshine. It was heaven :)

I need your help: Coming Saturday I volunteered to prepare a breakfast for a wedding party when they get ready in the morning because the bride is too stingy to get anything for them and thinks it's grand to give them cereals. Stupid as I am I said I'll whip them something up so they have a good solid base for the day.
    It's 9 adults and 2 children, the taste is very simple, the like of Fry-ups are always welcome.

I need a bit of inspiration what to do for them. I have something savory planned already, would look for some ideas for something sweet/fruity/starchy like a fruity pancake bake or so. I was thinking granola with yogurt and fruit but don't have any glasses to put them in that I wanna give away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Big plate of nicely sliced mixed fruit, bowl of berries, big bowl of natural yogurt, bowl of homemade granola. Let them build their own granola bowls (using the bride's own crockery). Dealz do nice looking light plastic platters and serving bowls that would be ideal for this kind of gathering - quick rinse and recycle job.
    Maybe a few pastries would be nice, something simple like pain au chocolat (ready-rolled puff pastry with a blob of nutella or a square of chocolate inside) - quick, easy energy is what's needed the morning of a wedding!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

As dee_mc said, fruit and pastries. They'll all be up very early and taking turns getting their hair and make up done and will be eating as they go. Will you have the savoury food already cooked? It's mayhem in the bride's house on the morning - we had it here last week for my daughter and it's the quickest, busiest morning ever - yet you need lots of food because you won't be eating for hours afterwards.

I will cook it all up in my house and deliver it over, I'm not involved into the wedding in any way. I just felt really sorry when my friend told me they won't have anything to eat from 6am to 6pm because there's nothing sorted out for them (the whole affair is a trainwreck deluxe but that's another story). So I drop it all prepared over to the house.
    As savoury option I'll do breakfast sambos with scramble, sausage and rasher. The whole party is not very adventurous with food so safe options it is.

I wouldn't do a fry. Too salty, they're be craving water all day.

I'd do scrambled eggs, salmon, pastries. And maybe selection of fruits.

That's very nice of you, they really will appreciate it! You can't beat rashers and sausages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Or alternative to that, Breakfast Quiche? It’s a favourite in our house. It can be prepared pretty much in advance too. Cook a load of sausages and rashers then let them cool. Chop into bite size pieces and put them in a dish lined with shortcrust pastry. Pour over some mixed eggs and bake. Absolutely delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Made similar with the pizza dough and the puff pastry from aldi, both worked good, in the oven, job done

I wouldn't do a fry. Too salty, they're be craving water all day.

I'd do scrambled eggs, salmon, pastries. And maybe selection of fruits.

There's basically no way around the fry really, that's what they really would like and I can't blame them, they have a long day ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Accidentally would up with 2 dozen eggs. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Accidentally would up with 2 dozen eggs. Any ideas?

Lamingtons.

Bill Granger's recipe uses loads of eggs to make the sponge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement