Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Shenshen wrote: »
    Funny, it's exactly what I thought when I first came to Ireland. I couldn't walk past butcher's shops without feeling sick.
    syklops wrote: »
    Where are you from?
    Compared to where?

Sorry, I was talking about the meat in Portugal, just moved here on 1st June and the food perplexes me, still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Applause wrote: »
    Sorry, I was talking about the meat in Portugal, just moved here on 1st June and the food perplexes me, still.

Is this in supermarkets? I hate buying meat in the supermarket in England, it tastes bland and goes off really quickly. I was ok once I found a good butcher!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Afternoon snack - figs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Applause wrote: »
    Also it's impossible to find beef mince or beef burgers, everything has pork in it.

Are you buying in butchers or in the supermarket? If you don't believe the mince in the butchers is 100% beef, simply select a couple cuts of nice looking beef and ask the butcher to mince them for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

The one thing I love about living in dublin again is the Ready Steady Cook Tesco game I play.
    Basically it's the reduced section at this time of night, five items for a meal! So tonight ladies and gentlemen I shall have asparagus sauted in butter to start. Followed by roast lemon and pepper chicken fillet and stir fried veg mix. And then a tub of fruit. All for well under a fiver #student :p bonus is a second chicken fillet for lunch tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just cooked a load of pancakes on a ceramic pan without any oil - sold! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is saying "crustless quiche" not like saying "breadless sandwich"?
    Surely, the so called crustless quiche is really a frittata.

The other term that bugs me is " vodka Mojito " - it's not a fecking Mojito if it's not made with rum!!

I think most of you here know where I stand on shepherd's pie and Irish stew made with beef.

Any else have much misused food and drink terms that drive them nuts or am I the only pedantic crank here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Oh well, I'll just rant away on my own.

Stallholders, putting something in a split bun does not make it a burger!
    Eg. Pulled pork in a bun is a pulled pork sandwich, not a pulled pork burger!

In a café in New Ross, I once got Bolognaise sauce with no meat in it???!!
    When challenged, the just said that "their" Bolognaise didn't have meat in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Raw vegan pad thai

Its very existence as a concept makes me angry.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Any else have much misused food and drink terms that drive them nuts or am I the only pedantic crank here?
    It drives me legumes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

In a café in New Ross, I once got Bolognaise sauce with no meat in it???!!
    Ragu.
    B0jangles wrote: »
    Spicy coleslaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

It depends. If it's not too far off the original concept, I'm fine with it. I'm probably just as guilty with my noodleless noodles. What else am I going to call them courgette/carrot strings? They're eaten as noodles, so I'm sticking to it.
    However, I do have a bone to pick with The Happy Pear crowd. THIS is not a Satay. Satays are meat (and I'll pardon veg/cheese) on skewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Stuff like that generally doesn't bother me. The only thing that really gives me a twitchy eye recently is when certain bloggers claim that you can make a chocolate cake or brownies with no chocolate, just mushed up dates or avocados or something. I mean, c'mon. I have eyes and a sense of taste. That's not a brownie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Stallholders, putting something in a split bun does not make it a burger! Eg. Pulled pork in a bun is a pulled pork sandwich, not a pulled pork burger!

Equally, stuffing a non meat paste into a synthetic tube doesn't make a sausage. Why do the makers of vegetarian foods insist on relating their products to the most readily identifiable meat products?!?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Hey. Thinking of having a lazy weekend, and doing a vegetarian chilli. Search function is crap on the iPad. Could someone link it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

beertons wrote: »
    Hey. Thinking of having a lazy weekend, and doing a vegetarian chilli. Search function is crap on the iPad. Could someone link it again.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057387087/1

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Parp tastic.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I bought some couscous from Tesco but it says cook on the hob... is this the best way to cook it or can you just pour hot water over it and leave to settle for 10 minute and then add whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I bought some couscous from Tesco but it says cook on the hob... is this the best way to cook it or can you just pour hot water over it and leave to settle for 10 minute and then add whatever?
    I prefer to let it settle. That's the normal way to cook it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Yeh thats what I thought but can't understand why Tesco say to cook on hob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I prefer to let it settle. That's the normal way to cook it.

I was watching some travel/cookery programme recently (can't for the life of remember what it was) and the presenter was in somewhere in North Africa and some woman was cooking him some couscous in her home. She was steaming it over some stock. I'd never seen it done that way.

For some reason I always think pouring boiling water over it is cheating, or just doesn't seem right. :D

If you pour boiling water into a large thick ceramic bowl it will cool down a lot. You can save thin plastic microwaveable containers that you get soups in to lessen the heat loss. If containers have PP5 embossed on the bottom its able to handle high temp. Many containers are PP5 for foods which do not need to resist heat, like many ice cream tubs with good snap on lids are PP5, the ones where the lid easily comes off are usually not. Putting the lid on will also help against heat loss, but can create a vacuum when it cools and distort weak containers.

ecology-symbol-for-pp-5-logo-BC6AAF8481-seeklogo.com.gif

I sometimes would heat stuff like noodles in a microwave until it just starts to boil, then cover and leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I was watching some travel/cookery programme recently (can't for the life of remember what it was) and the presenter was in somewhere in North Africa and some woman was cooking him some couscous in her home. She was steaming it over some stock. I'd never seen it done that way.

For some reason I always think pouring boiling water over it is cheating, or just doesn't seem right. :D
    Pretty much all couscous sold here is pre-cooked and dried, hence the easy preparation method. "Real" couscous needs to be steamed to cook it, and is usually done above the stew that's going to accompany it absorbing the flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Did anyone see the Nigel Slater 'Eating Together' episode where the lady made cous cous? (the actual cous cous itself). I'll never actually do that because of lazy but it was really interestingly simple!

On an unrelated note, man I thought the spiced duck with prune recipe he made at the end of that show was unpalatable looking. Do like a bit of sweetness with duck with this was way overly jammy looking for me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02vxh40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Did anyone see the Nigel Slater 'Eating Together' episode where the lady made cous cous? (the actual cous cous itself). I'll never actually do that because of lazy but it was really interestingly simple!

On an unrelated note, man I thought the spiced duck with prune recipe he made at the end of that show was unpalatable looking. Do like a bit of sweetness with duck with this was way overly jammy looking for me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02vxh40
    I just wish he had a different voice so i could actually watch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Came back from hols last night to discover, the person who was minding our house while we were away, never bothered to water my chilli plants. Dead as donuts!!! :(

So into a low oven for a few hours drying to make chilli oil.

E8A82102-B325-40A1-A738-459BA4A38E8B_zpstqwwojds.jpg

Anyone know where I can get a load of nice looking but cheap bottles with those drizzle spouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Not sure, maybe Ikea? Amazon might be the best place.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Maybe TkMaxx or Heatons? If you're in Dublin, Stock would definitely have them

• Registered Users Posts: 14 onlineness

Came back from hols last night to discover, the person who was minding our house while we were away, never bothered to water my chilli plants. Dead as donuts!!! :(

Oh no! Sorry for your loss :(

• Advertisement

Anyone know where I can get a load of nice looking but cheap bottles with those drizzle spouts?
    Probably too high an amount.
    http://www.alpack.ie/Glass_Sauce__Oil_Bottles/Default.122.html

its often cheaper to buy container with stuff in them and dump it, or if you found cheap oil in a nice bottle you could just pour it all into a big empty bottle and save it and the bottles.

€2 shops might have empty ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement