Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Clementeens round mine. Although if I met a girl called Clementine she would be Clementiiiiine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I say it the second way (tyne).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Faith wrote: »

Deadly may give this a try :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I say clementyne too but lately I've noticed tv chefs etc say clementeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I say clementeen but that's how we pronounce it over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

I say clementeen but that's how we pronounce it over here.

I've always said "clementeen" - it rhymes, then, with "tangereen". I'm guessing no-one here ever says "tangeryne"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

After my rissoto fiasco the other night, I wasn't taking any chances last night....

Our son was recently accepted to the school of our choice so we're thrilled (Mrs. Loire had his name down @ 3 weeks old :eek:). Aaanyway, as we were goingt to their Open Evening last night, I put on a mega batch of Spag Bol in the slow cooker yesterday. We came home to the most delicious aroma last night! I had 2 helpings in front of Homeland with a glass and a half of vino. Just Magic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Our little fella was born in April and we've had his name down in two schools since May

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

dee_mc wrote: »
    How are we pronouncing 'clementine'? Rachel Allen is making a cake with them and she's saying 'clementeeeeen', (repeatedly) whereas I've only ever heard them called 'clementiiiiiine' ?

When I read your post I had a very clear idea of what way it was that I pronounced the offending word.

However after having read through the others posters pronouncations I now have no idea what way I do say it. They both sound 'right' now :eek:

I do know a girl called Clementine. I may figure it out before I see her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd be in the Clemen-tyne camp, as is everyone else I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

No such thing as a Clementine in this house. It's either a big orange or a mandarin. Nothing else :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Kovu wrote: »
    No such thing as a Clementine in this house. It's either a big orange or a mandarin. Nothing else :pac:

Phew. Someone said it before me. I'm not crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Loire wrote: »
    After my rissoto fiasco the other night, I wasn't taking any chances last night....

Our son was recently accepted to the school of our choice so we're thrilled (Mrs. Loire had his name down @ 3 weeks old :eek:). Aaanyway, as we were goingt to their Open Evening last night, I put on a mega batch of Spag Bol in the slow cooker yesterday. We came home to the most delicious aroma last night! I had 2 helpings in front of Homeland with a glass and a half of vino. Just Magic :)

Do you have a recipe for this? Never tried making spag bol in the slow cooker, but sounds delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

A sorta-food-related question for you lovely folks. Now that it's the time if year for charities doing food collection drives outside the supermarkets, what kind of things do people usually donate? Should it be something related to typical Christmas dinner type food?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Satsumas FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Kovu wrote: »

Even mandarin is fancy for us Foxes. Either big orange or small orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

A sorta-food-related question for you lovely folks. Now that it's the time if year for charities doing food collection drives outside the supermarkets, what kind of things do people usually donate? Should it be something related to typical Christmas dinner type food?

I usually pop in custard and mixed fruit (trifle basics), pasta sauce, beans, breakfast cereal, pasta, rice and porridge. I've been known to throw in a pack of stuffing mix or a jar of cranberry sauce. Depending on how much I can afford to spend I sometimes put in a box of infant formula too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Can you get tangerines any more? I seem to remember them from my youth tasting quite different to clementines or satsumas, which to me taste just like small, easier to peel versions of normal oranges.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Do you have a recipe for this? Never tried making spag bol in the slow cooker, but sounds delicious!

There's a link to a recipe in the slow cooker thread. It's stickied up above somewhere.

Bawnmore wrote: »

But of course :)

Here's my easy, trusted recipe for slow cooker Spag Bol batch - probably serves 6 or 7 portions.

Turn the slow cooker to high

Ingredients
    1kg of mince. Lean steak mince is the best - don't be tempted by the cheap stuff - it's terrible!
    2 tins of chopped tomatoes
    1 glass of red wine (white would be fine too)
    2-3 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
    3-4 carrots, peeled & diced
    3-4 sticks of celery, diced
    1 onion, chopped finely
    1/2 a punet of mushrooms, sliced thinly
    Good squeeze of tomatoe puree
    Mixed herbs (from a jar is fine)

Method

Put the 2 tins of chopped tomatoes into a jug and microwave for 90 seconds - tip into the slow cooker

Put the glass of wine into the same jug and microwave for 40 seconds - tip into the slow cooker.
    (Microwave wine I hear you ask :eek:? Been doing it for ages and it's perfect....you just want to get it warm). The rationale behind the last 2 steps is to bring the "liquid" ingredients up to temperature rather than the slow cooker taking an hour to do the same thing.

Fry the mince in batches on a medium-high heat until browned...add to the slow cooker as you go.

Fry the onions and garlic for a minute. Add the carrots, celery and mushrooms & fry for another few minutes...add the lot to the slow cooker

Add a good squeeze of tomato puree and a dash of mixed herbs.

Give it all a good stir and Bob's you uncle. You can leave it on High for a few hours or turn it down to Low when it starts to bubble (about an hour) if you want to leave it cook for longer.

All that you need to do then is boil your spaghetti before serving.

If you don't finish it all you can always re-heat the next day (and it'll be even nicer) or freeze in portions.

I always grate a good bit of cheese when serving and as you've probably opened a bottle of wine for the dish then it would be a shame to not finish it off ;)

Loire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I will be trying this next week. It sounds fab. Might even do garlic bread with it. :D

Thanks Loire. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Loire, round steak mince really is the driest and least flavoursome mince available - and it comes at a premium price!

I promise if you try some good mince from a good butcher your dish will taste so much better. You can get good, lean steak mince (not round steak) - it doesn't have to be cheap pink stuff. just anything but round.

Loire, round steak mince really is the driest and least flavoursome mince available - and it comes at a premium price!

I promise if you try some good mince from a good butcher your dish will taste so much better. You can get good, lean steak mince (not round steak) - it doesn't have to be cheap pink stuff. just anything but round.

Thanks for that. Cooked with the cheap stuff once and it was awful seeing the sludge at the bottom! Since then I've defaulted to round mince, so will definitely try lean steak mince. Will be in the Market tomorrow, any butcher you would recommend in particular?

Edited my recipe too !

Loire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I am so excited! Just moved into a new apartment that has a good sized kitchen, a big fridge freezer, some countertop space and a dishwasher! This coincides with most of my morning/allday pregnancy sickness and food aversions being gone. Cook all the things!! Have all the ingredients for French toast in the morning, yum

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Loire wrote: »
    ! Will be in the Market tomorrow, any butcher you would recommend in particular?

Loire

O Mahony's would be my butcher of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I accidentally managed to kill the yeast in my pizza dough for tonight. It was just a packet mix thing so couldn't even make another. Surprisingly it didn't turn out too badly, but I won't be making the same mistake in future. Although I thought it was cool that I could see the dead yeast colonies when I was rolling it out :o

This is why I hate cooking when others are in the kitchen with me, interfering where they shouldn't. Jesus almighty divine.

I got two beautiful steaks for dinner, had my one cooking, on at number 6, as usual, and I smell burning, go out to the kitchen (was away for 3-4 minutes) and its burnt on one side. Someone turned the hob to 9.

So basically my steak was burning at the highest heat on our cooker and is quite possibly inedible.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

This is why I hate cooking when others are in the kitchen with me, interfering where they shouldn't. Jesus almighty divine.

I got two beautiful steaks for dinner, had my one cooking, on at number 6, as usual, and I smell burning, go out to the kitchen (was away for 3-4 minutes) and its burnt on one side. Someone turned the hob to 9.

So basically my steak was burning at the highest heat on our cooker and is quite possibly inedible.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Eek! I've had the opposite done to me (with the same, inedible result) when my auntie has snuck up behind me to turn down the hob when I'm cooking a steak... too many cooks spoil the sirloin :D

dee_mc wrote: »
    Eek! I've had the opposite done to me (with the same, inedible result) when my auntie has snuck up behind me to turn down the hob when I'm cooking a steak... too many cooks spoil the sirloin :D
    I feel like crying. €9 it cost me and its in the bin.

It was half burnt throughout the centre and the bit that wasn't burnt was beyond "well done", it was almost black on the outside.

I am sickened. I always have my steak medium-rare, and everyone bar my boyfriend (who has his rare) complains that it's "raw", "bloody" and "under cooked", they can't understand how I don't have food poisoning etc. the usual nonsense, so I doubt this was some "accident", given that things have been turned up/down/on/off etc before.

The person who made the "mistake" is known for cooking steaks/burgers etc for an hour so they are "well cooked" and "no one ends up sick".

Bulling I am.

• Advertisement

I feel like crying. €9 it cost me and its in the bin.

It was half burnt throughout the centre and the bit that wasn't burnt was beyond "well done", it was almost black on the outside.

I am sickened. I always have my steak medium-rare, and everyone bar my boyfriend (who has his rare) complains that it's "raw", "bloody" and "under cooked", they can't understand how I don't have food poisoning etc. the usual nonsense, so I doubt this was some "accident", given that things have been turned up/down/on/off etc before.

The person who made the "mistake" is known for cooking steaks/burgers etc for an hour so they are "well cooked" and "no one ends up sick".

Bulling I am.

That's tough going and not acceptable....how you eat your own food is up to you. Make a big carpaccio this evening!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement