Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT System in Dole Offices

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Graham wrote: »
    Perhaps if the NSA are passing they can decode your post :pac:

Sorry for off-topic.
    Thanks Graham...your reply means you have nothing with/to/in NSA !
    You're safe. :)

Enjoy IT !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Cork24 wrote: »

Right You have 6 Data-centers in Dublin figures,
    You have around 3 in Galway
    and 1 crap Data-Center in Cork.

other then that the likes of EMC and Vmware have their own DataCenters.

I just pissed on my couch :(

Cork24, there are 6 datacenters in Citywest ALONE probably closer than 20 in Dublin (one of the largest in the world in Clondalkin)

You're right about the one in Cork though, it's not great, but they are very much working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

There are data centres in Limerick in Laois as well sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭belinda502

belinda502 wrote: »
    Thanks for your comprehensive response. I am doing a project on Information Systems on an ICT Skills course. I am primarily interested in correspondence that comes into the offices. Presumably when any correspondence comes into a social welfare it has to be logged. What sort of system, presumably database is the correspondence logged into? Is it a Linux based system? Do they scan the document in, or is simply a note entered into the system that a letter was received on a particular date. Whenever I have been into the office, they seem to hold large hard copy files for clients.

I have enjoyed reading the entertaining discussion about servers and different data storage facilities but could anyone answer my query above about what physically happens when hard copy data comes into dole offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭eddiehen

belinda502 wrote: »
    I have enjoyed reading the entertaining discussion about servers and different data storage facilities but could anyone answer my query above about what physically happens when hard copy data comes into dole offices.

I'm afraid it's more than likely as simple as "open envelope, stamp to say received, stick it in the file with all the rest".

There is a huge modernisation project being undertaken there over the last few years, what with electronic signing, etc but as far as hard copy info coming into the offices, there is no large scale IT system in place, it's still logged manually. There are a range of online services they offer (like signing off, registering a claim) but the old paper-trail won't be forgotten there any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

I'm afraid it's more than likely as simple as "open envelope, stamp to say received, stick it in the file with all the rest".

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭belinda502

Thanks Eddiehen - the brave new world hopefully once day will involve some sort of scanning system unless paper is bypassed altogether - you can't contact local offices directly currently by email as far as I am aware so that's probably quite some while away.

Advertisement