Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips CorePro GU10 5-50W LED - £8.79

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

fleet wrote: »
    Philips Master vs CorePro.

What's the difference? (googles not being my friend)

Dunno, but core pro appear to be slightly cheaper. I'm holding out for a well priced 6w (50w equivalent) Master. Still commanding silly money ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

While shopping for LED's I noticed the Philips Master GU10's were dimmable while the CorePro spots weren't. There were other smaller differences with the Master range having a slightly wider beam angle and estimated lifespan.

I now have 3 of these Philips GU10 CorePro's 2W spots in a fitting. While the beam angle is slightly narrower compared to the halogens, I find the light is pleasant and not as glaring, these bulbs are cool to touch even after they've been on for hours.

fleet wrote: »
    Philips Master vs CorePro.

What's the difference? (googles not being my friend)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cartwheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Master led also have 5 year warranty and much higher switching cycles so for example in a bathroom or pir activated fixture might be debatably/theoretically worth the extra money.
    I now have 3 of these Philips GU10 CorePro's 2W spots in a fitting. While the beam angle is slightly narrower compared to the halogens, I find the light is pleasant and not as glaring, these bulbs are cool to touch even after they've been on for hours.

Those are only 120lm nowhere near 35w for £4.99, I think the ikea ledare is a better bet at 200lm €5 or the 250lm integral ones mentioned here before at €5.90.
    cartwheel wrote: »

The description sums it up: "Warm White (2700-3500K)" thats a vast range! I found the colour temperature on the sample of these I receive to be around 3200k / 3300k which is too cold for the average irish punter and with too much green phosphor in the resin giving a green cast like the old cfls.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Does anyone know where to get an bayonet 15w equivalent led light?
    Probably a warm 1w led. Cant seem to find anything for a reasonable price :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 pipsdad

iknorr wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to get an bayonet 15w equivalent led light?
    Probably a warm 1w led. Cant seem to find anything for a reasonable price :mad:

What about a GU10 with a Bayonet adapter like http://www.futureled.ie/led-accessories/13-b22-to-gu10-adapter.html, you shouldnt have any probs finding a low wattage GU10

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is my take on LED prices

http://www.buyincoins.com/?r=category/index&cid=157&keyword=beads
    yes that's just for the component and yes the ratings might be a little off, but it gives an indication of how much prices should be dropping in the near future

They also do bulbs but I'm not so sure I'd trust mains voltage stuff from them. ;)

MR16 stuff - but I'd be wary of using them with an unregulated transformer
    http://www.buyincoins.com/?r=category/index&cid=157&keyword=mr16++led

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I still don't think that we will see the drop that people will expect.

company X sells 10 people 1 lamp each, each lamp last 2 years after 10 years they've sold 50 lamps.

if company x moves to LED then this is what happens
    company X sells 10 people 1 lamp each, each lamp last 10 years after 10 years they've sold 10 lamps.

Longer lasting lamps reduce the market significantly. Companies like to keep profit coming in, with a reduced market the only way to do is to keep the mark up high.

could be a simplistic look at the market that's flawed, but that's the way i see it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ted1 wrote: »
    I still don't think that we will see the drop that people will expect.

company X sells 10 people 1 lamp each, each lamp last 2 years after 10 years they've sold 50 lamps.
    Company Y sells 10 long lasting lamps and erodes Company X's market share

Company X then counters with an even more efficient bulb that saves even more money ( best LED's are 2.5 times as efficient as what's on sale today )

Company Z starts selling light fittings with build in LED's instead of using bulbs

Over the last 300 years in all societies people spend about 0.72% of GDP on lighting

http://www.sandia.gov/~jytsao/tsao_jy_2010_04_app_for_light_LEUKOS.pdf
    The World’s Appetite for Light: Empirical Data
    and Trends Spanning Three Centuries and Six
    Continents
    The data span a wide range
    (three centuries, six continents, five lighting technologies, and five
    orders of magnitude), and are consistent with a linear variation of per capita consumption of light with the ratio between per-capita gross
    domestic product and ownership cost of light. No empirical evidence is
    found for a saturation in per-capita consumption of light, even in
    contemporary developed nations. Finally, we extrapolate to the world
    in 2005, and find that 0.72 percent ($437B/year) of world gross
    domestic product and 6.5 percent (29.5 Quads/year) of world primary
    energy was used to produce 130 Plmh/year of artificial light.
    We conclude that, to a very good approximation, people in nations over diverse
    temporal, geographic, technological and economic circumstances
    have expended 0.39 percent to 1.30 percent (with a best fit value of 0.72 percent) of their
    gdp on light.
    We also conclude that the income elasticity (at constant price)
    and the price elasticity (at constant income) of the demand for light are both
    unity or nearly unity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

probably a silly question, but what would it take to turn one of the LED components into a functioning LED light?

could someone with electronics knowledge put everything together or is there a lot going on inside the bulb other than transforming the mains supply into the right watts/amps to light up the LED?

I was just wondering as i saw this 100w LED: http://www.buyincoins.com/item/38400.html

and wondered if someone with a bit of electronics experience (i.e. not me :D) could take something like a traditional 100W halogen outside PIR spotlight and do the required work to replace the halogen bulb with the LED one or (and I suspect there probably is) is there a lot more involved than just supplying the prerequisite wattage to an LED?

I'm obviously not going to try it, I definitely don't have the skills (or i wouldn't be asking the question) i'm just a curious sort of person. :)

I'm also wondering how much brighter a 100W LED would be than a 100W halogen. :eek:

EDIT: Just answered my own questions! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

vibe666 wrote: »
    probably a silly question, but what would it take to turn one of the LED components into a functioning LED light?

could someone with electronics knowledge put everything together or is there a lot going on inside the bulb other than transforming the mains supply into the right watts/amps to light up the LED?

I was just wondering as i saw this 100w LED: http://www.buyincoins.com/item/38400.html

and wondered if someone with a bit of electronics experience (i.e. not me :D) could take something like a traditional 100W halogen outside PIR spotlight and do the required work to replace the halogen bulb with the LED one or (and I suspect there probably is) is there a lot more involved than just supplying the prerequisite wattage to an LED?

I'm obviously not going to try it, I definitely don't have the skills (or i wouldn't be asking the question) i'm just a curious sort of person. :)

I'm also wondering how much brighter a 100W LED would be than a 100W halogen. :eek:

You can buy LED PIR spotlights.

stimpson wrote: »
    You can buy LED PIR spotlights.
    I know, but they are very expensive compared to a halogen light plus the cost of the LED part(s) to convert one.

Also, I'm not looking for one, i'm just curious about the workings of them. :)

looking at some more video's of the 100W LED's, you need a heatsink about the size of a brick to properly cool it, so it wouldn't be all that practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I know, but they are very expensive compared to a halogen light plus the cost of the LED part(s) to convert one.

Also, I'm not looking for one, i'm just curious about the workings of them. :)

looking at some more video's of the 100W LED's, you need a heatsink about the size of a brick to properly cool it, so it wouldn't be all that practical.

Yeah - I was going to say heat dissipation was the big problem. I have an LED on in the garage waiting to get fitted. Buckleys in Santry were doing them for €10 before Christmas. Not very high wattage (10W I think), but my old man bought 2 to replace a 500W halogen and is very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm a electronic Engineer, what your asking is fairly basic and quite doable. but there's plenty of products out there, so its not really worth while doing.
    Your really just looking at supplying a constant current, heat dissipation. you'd need another engineer/designed to design the casing to ensure that you are maximising the light out put.

stimpson wrote: »
    Yeah - I was going to say heat dissipation was the big problem. I have an LED on in the garage waiting to get fitted. Buckleys in Santry were doing them for €10 before Christmas. Not very high wattage (10W I think), but my old man bought 2 to replace a 500W halogen and is very happy.
    the only downside with the 100W LED is any time you turn it on people will think you're getting raptured! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

I have one of the 30W LED floodlights hooked up to a pir outside the back. works perfect. it was around 30 euro from amazon

you'd need a power supply matched to the LED usually a constant currant one

it says DC Forward Voltage(VF): 30~34Vdc

so 100W would be about 3A

if you are feeling brave and know about heat sinks and thermal runaway then http://www.buyincoins.com/item/9004.html or http://www.buyincoins.com/item/11860.html but they'd be more suitable for lower wattage LED's and light output might change as they warm up

Generally you'd use these to drive LED's - but they are lower ratings and I woudn't recomend messing with mains equipment
    http://www.buyincoins.com/?r=category/index&cid=0&keyword=constant+current

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

on Amazon Good price for the Master

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Master-Value-Light-Dimmable/dp/B00KLCTTDG/ref=dp_ob_title_light

If you look at "new from" option there 7 pounds a pop. I use Parcel motel so Amazon UK postage is easy.

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

garyh3 wrote: »
    on Amazon Good price for the Master

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Master-Value-Light-Dimmable/dp/B00KLCTTDG/ref=dp_ob_title_light

If you look at "new from" option there 7 pounds a pop. I use Parcel motel so Amazon UK postage is easy.

Gary

Good price, cheers

I see a tenpack deivered from amazon themselves for not much more. Handier for issues/returns.

BTW would 5W be overkill for a kitchen with 8 spots? Think the 4w at 59.99 might be better bet...

• Advertisement

I don't think 5w would be overkill. I have 8 spots in the Kitchen with a mix of 3w 4w and a couple of 5w. I put the 5w over the counter and cooker and it does make a difference. I will replace with 5w when the older LED blow.

I find my current halogens over bright as it is though when undimmed and not a fan of too much light in a house - shows all the DIY I've yet to do!

BTW whats the difference in the 2700k and 3000k?

sweetie wrote: »
    I find my current halogens over bright as it is though when undimmed and not a fan of too much light in a house - shows all the diy I have to do!

Just get the dimmable ones and then put a dimmer on or you could put a mix of 50w and Led's

or

Try Sunglasses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

I find my current halogens over bright as it is though when undimmed and not a fan of too much light in a house - shows all the DIY I've yet to do!

BTW whats the difference in the 2700k and 3000k?[/quote

The 2700k is a softer colour rating which would be the equivalent to your everyday halogen bulb colour, the higher the “k" rating the whiter the bulb emits more akin to office lighting colour

Disaster! Got 10 of the Ikea ledare lamps and the are too long for the fittings I and my parents have (the ones with the circular piece of metal that holds the lamp up) and ordered a ten pacl of the master from amazon for my kitchen and when they arrived I found out they don't take GU10s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sweetie which bulbs did you order? I might take them.

the Philips master dimmable 5W 2700K, worked out at about tenner each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Ah ok, not cool enough - looking for 4000k bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

the Philips master dimmable 5W 2700K, worked out at about tenner each.

sweetie, if its any use I have the gu10 7w version of the phillips master from eurosales for my kitchen. got 7 of them and I would say they were almost a like for like replacement for the 50w halogens which I had before so Im happy with them.
    I have dimmmable 5w's in the sitting room to replace the 50w I had in there when I did the big switch and always wishing I had a little more light.

http://www.eurosales.ie/index.php?option=com_rokquickcart&view=rokquickcart&Itemid=68

• Advertisement

Disaster! Got 10 of the Ikea ledare lamps and the are too long for the fittings I and my parents have (the ones with the circular piece of metal that holds the lamp up) and ordered a ten pacl of the master from amazon for my kitchen and when they arrived I found out they don't take GU10s!

Cheaper in the long run to convert to gu10 mr16 transformers waste energy.

Advertisement