Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips CorePro GU10 5-50W LED - £8.79

Options
  • 04-10-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭

Judging by a few other threads, people seem to be looking for good quality GU10 LED bulbs.
    These Philips CorePro bulbs are reduced to £8.79 with free delivery. They're currently €22.50 in my local shop, and seem to be around the €20 mark from Irish e-tailers.

I've been in touch with LED Vista in Wexford, and after consulting with Philips, they'll do them for €11.99 a piece. Granted that's around €1.50 per bulb more than the Amazon price, but you're keeping the money in Ireland, etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Soarer wrote: »
    Judging by a few other threads, people seem to be looking for good quality GU10 LED bulbs.
    They're currently €22.50 in my local shop, and seem to be around the €20 mark from Irish e-tailers.

A tenner a bulb is thereabouts the rate now. That €22.50 is disgraceful. Tell your "local shop" that they are the reason we hunt online for better prices. And i'd bet the shop owner would be top of the queue singing the old tune "Buy local, save jobs!"

They can all f**k off.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I always buy these

http://www.futureled.ie/gu10-bulbs/107-60-smd-gu10.html

Fantastic quality and spot-on service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

dodzy wrote: »
    A tenner a bulb is thereabouts the rate now. That €22.50 is disgraceful. Tell your "local shop" that they are the reason we hunt online for better prices. And i'd bet the shop owner would be top of the queue singing the old tune "Buy local, save jobs!"

They can all f**k off.

LED lighting prices have moved down fairly quickly - not really the fault of the store that they bought stock a few months ago and haven't re-ordered, though they'll have to take a hit. But interesting to see the Amazon rrp being £34.15 (about €41) - so the "local shop" has been well under the previous Amazon price up till now!

You'll see the better quality ones at €5-€8 soon enough in most places (already €5 in ikea for their latest version) and cheap unbranded ones for €3-€5.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

darconio wrote: »
    I always buy these

http://www.futureled.ie/gu10-bulbs/107-60-smd-gu10.html

Fantastic quality and spot-on service
    Single LED give better results than cluster LEDs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

ted1 wrote: »
    Single LED give better results than cluster LEDs

What would you recommend Ted. Am replacing all mine so want the best quality for the best price. Open to suggestions - thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭kramxw

I buy my LED's here, GU10 38 cluster warm white at €8.95 delivered next day; good to deal with and it's an Irish business :)

GU10 Dimmable 330lm curently in Homebase for €6.49. (extra 20% off last week and will be repeated at end of Jan I believe.)

You have to have your eyes open to get the brigtestes ones.

They have 150lm, 250lm & 330lm.

The 150lm replace a 35watt halogen. The 250 & 330 replace the 50 watt halogen.

The 330lm are extremely bright.

For dimmable, you have to get the ones in a plasticmclamshell. Non dimmable are also 6.49 and are in a cardboard clamshell.

For some, the 330lm may be too bright especially if you have a lot of downlighters.

To give comparison - the 3.4w IKEA are 150lm. - so over twice the brightness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just a reminder of what's in the pipeline, real world efficiency will be less because of transformers and electronics, and the colour might not be to everyones linking but still it's 5 times the efficiency of the philips posted earlier.

http://www.cree.com/News-and-Events/Cree-News/Press-Releases/2013/February/276-LPW
    Cree reports that the LED efficacy was measured at 276 lumens per watt, at a correlated color temperature of 4401 K and 350 mA.

For real world it's about 200Lm/Watt
    http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/en/led-lamp-prototype-delivers-200-lumen-per-watt.html?cmp_id=7&news_id=222916471&vID=209
    Philips researchers developed a tube lighting (TL) replacement TLED prototype that produces a record 200 lumens per watt of high-quality white light (compared with 100lm/W for fluorescent lighting and just 15lm/W for traditional light bulbs). This prototype TLED lamp is twice as efficient as predecessor lamps, basically halving the energy used.
    So far none of the LED's listed here are 100Lm/W

If you like the colour or the switch on times then buy now, if the bulb will pay back the electricity in the next two or three years buy now, if not then wait for a year or two for cheaper, more energy efficient LED's or wait for larger discounts.

Yes you can get CFL's in GU10 but the price differential to LED isn't as big as for normal B22 bulbs so YMMV

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm putting 23 LED's into our kitchen/dining area and got them all from this seller on Amazon, 1.2w each...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I got a couple of these to test and very happy with the 330Lm output, it's a single COB LED with a nice warm and wide beam and very close to 50W GU10's compared side by side, and dimmable too was important for me as most of the time I have them down low anyway, so they're using even less juice. :)

http://www.lightmylife.com/Product/View/gu10vp5/GU10-LED-Bulb-5W-Spotlight-Wide-Beam-Angle--50W-Equivalent--330-Lumen.html

the ones on the left are the LED's, the rest are bog standard 50w halogens. https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/18347/285043.jpg

if you didn't need them quite bright, they also do a nice looking dimmable 3.5w 250Lm one for £6.49 as well. http://www.lightmylife.com/Product/View/gu10vp6/GU10-LED-Bulb-3-5W-Spotlight-Extra-Wide-Beam-Angle--35W-Equivalent--250-Lumen.html

definitely worth a look at the site though, ordering was painless and delivery was quick too (via parcel motel).

from the other LED thread, in case he missed it!:D
    vibe666 wrote: »
    I'd also like to thank Capt'n Midnight for putting me onto the Osram DuLED dual CFL and LED bulbs. I wasn't able to find them cheaply in bricks and mortar shops, but they are available on Amazon for about £10 each, which although it seems expensive for a CFL, I've been finding that about 90% of the time, I only need to use the LED part which is only putting out 0.3W per bulb that gives off a similar light to a clear night with a big full moon, which is more than sufficient for most things during the night.

They are perfect for hallways, bedrooms and bathrooms, particularly if you have kids as they are bright enough to see to go for a pee, but not bright enough to wake you up too much in the middle of the night.

I especially like that they don't need any special light switches, you just turn it on once for the LED, then turn it off and back on within 5 seconds to switch to the CFL bulb.

As with all CFL's, 8W is fine for bedrooms and hallways, but go for the higher power ones for bathrooms or kitchens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Just got five of these from Electric Ireland, €8.95 each and free shipping. They are excellent and Osram are a good brand.

http://www.electricirelandstore.ie/Product/Osram-7-Watt-230-volt-LED-spotlight-with-GU10-base-non-dimmable/1331/611

I got a couple of these to test and very happy with the 330Lm output, it's a single COB LED with a nice warm and wide beam and very close to 50W GU10's compared side by side, and dimmable too was important for me as most of the time I have them down low anyway, so they're using even less juice. :)

http://www.lightmylife.com/Product/View/gu10vp5/GU10-LED-Bulb-5W-Spotlight-Wide-Beam-Angle--50W-Equivalent--330-Lumen.html

the ones on the left are the LED's, the rest are bog standard 50w halogens. https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/18347/285043.jpg

if you didn't need them quite bright, they also do a nice looking dimmable 3.5w 250Lm one for £6.49 as well. http://www.lightmylife.com/Product/View/gu10vp6/GU10-LED-Bulb-3-5W-Spotlight-Extra-Wide-Beam-Angle--35W-Equivalent--250-Lumen.html

definitely worth a look at the site though, ordering was painless and delivery was quick too (via parcel motel).

from the other LED thread, in case he missed it!:D

They are twice the price of homebase!

Also, there are quite a few old model leds about, so be sure to go by lumens rather than what is claimed. And watch for ones that may not fit exactly into some fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tunner

I need to replace all my spotlights in the downstairs lads. Going to start with the kitchen.
    I bought some led ones in b and q a while ago but they were very dark. I am looking to reduce my bills because all I downstairs are spotlights and the lights are on most of the day.

Can anyone recommend something for me? I need gu 5.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

tunner wrote: »
    I need to replace all my spotlights in the downstairs lads. Going to start with the kitchen.
    I bought some led ones in b and q a while ago but they were very dark. I am looking to reduce my bills because all I downstairs are spotlights and the lights are on most of the day.

Can anyone recommend something for me? I need gu 5.3

I would buy the osram halogens which are 35 watts with the brightness of 50 watts. LEDs are constantly going down in price and improving. There is no point buying a ton of expensive bulbs which will 4 times the price and half the light of LEDs in 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tunner

hfallada wrote: »
    I would buy the osram halogens which are 35 watts with the brightness of 50 watts. LEDs are constantly going down in price and improving. There is no point buying a ton of expensive bulbs which will 4 times the price and half the light of LEDs in 5 years

Are the halogen bulbs not more expensive to run than the led equivelent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Got 3 phillips GU10s a year ago at 16e a bulb, put them in my bathrooms as a tester. since then Ive my house kitted out in cheapass LEDs at no more than 4 euro each from china, most times a lot less

http://www.buyincoins.com/?r=category/index&cid=0&keyword=gu5

allow 3-4 weeks for delivery.

all models catered for, gu10, mr16, gu5, bayonet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Got 3 phillips GU10s a year ago at 16e a bulb, put them in my bathrooms as a tester. since then Ive my house kitted out in cheapass LEDs at no more than 4 euro each from china, most times a lot less

http://www.buyincoins.com/?r=category/index&cid=0&keyword=gu5

allow 3-4 weeks for delivery.

all models catered for, gu10, mr16, gu5, bayonet.

Bought 4 from there myself. Approx 8€ ea. 1 failed after 8 weeks. I'd prefer to go with the Philips Master but will wait for a decent price.

hfallada wrote: »

That's awful advice.

The payback period is good. Even putting in expensive ones will pay for themselves fairly fast. The max you should pay is 10 a lamp. That will get you a Philips or equivalent

Eurosales were selling Philips masters for 8.65 last year, there probably cheaper now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ah.. at 3 hours a day looks like the payback time for energy saving bulbs is about 1 year

If you have the 240V lights then you can get CFL's too, but like I said they aren't that much cheaper than LED's , so you might as well use which ever is the cheapest of the two. NB. today's LED's aren't more efficient thatn CFL's
    ( For normal bayonet bulbs use CFL's today and replace them with LED's when they are significantly more efficient than CFL's )

The big PITA is the 12V halogens running from non-regulated transformers. You can't easily replace with CFL and the 12V LED's are easily fried because they don't seem to have regulators that can stand the voltage. This is strange because they cost more than the 240V LED's which have built in regulators,, and because most 12V installs are non-regulated transformers.

It's nearly a case of changing the mains transformer to a regulated one , or just rewiring to use mains voltage. If you use them several hours a day it might be cheaper to get an electrician in to undo it.

Moral of the story is , with lighting always use the most simplest most standard bulb size you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭galldar

Got these a couple of weeks ago (see attached), well pleased with the brightness and lighting angle. Much better than the cheap chinese ones I had fitted.
    Work out about €8 inc VAT, think he said there's a five year warranty too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ah.. at 3 hours a day looks like the payback time for energy saving bulbs is about 1 year

If you have the 240V lights then you can get CFL's too, but like I said they aren't that much cheaper than LED's , so you might as well use which ever is the cheapest of the two. NB. today's LED's aren't more efficient thatn CFL's
    ( For normal bayonet bulbs use CFL's today and replace them with LED's when they are significantly more efficient than CFL's )

LEDs should last longer though - I've found CFLs rarely last as long as is claimed on the box. Also CFLs can't be thrown in the bin as they contain mercury (I'm sure plenty of people do chuck them in the bin, but you shouldn't).

loyatemu wrote: »
    LEDs should last longer though - I've found CFLs rarely last as long as is claimed on the box. Also CFLs can't be thrown in the bin as they contain mercury (I'm sure plenty of people do chuck them in the bin, but you shouldn't).
    yes LED's should last longer, but no point because by then there will be better cheaper ones

and you can't throw any electronics in the bin, LED and CFL have to be handed in as WEE wherever you buy bulbs.

I don't think CFLs are comparable to LEDs especially with start up time.

Installing CFLs then replacing with LEDs doesn't make sense as the capital costs will be higher.
    Due to life time of LEDs the market is smaller as lamps aren't replaced. So I can't see them reaching the price levels of incandescent as they'll want to keep making profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

I had this experience when replacing Ikea 12v G4 cabinet spot halogens with LED G4 bulbs from DX.

The LED G4's were rated for 12 VAC, and the board had a regulator IC, but after fitting them I discovered the Ikea AC transformer driver throttled the current, and the LED's only gave off a faint glow. I then (stupidly) tried to mix and match 1 halogen and 1 LED. The LED worked well for a few minutes but it's regulator chip overheated and burned out.

I'm now back to the old halogens and plan on replacing the whole setup. I've also learned to never use an LED on a halogen driver unit!

The big PITA is the 12V halogens running from non-regulated transformers. You can't easily replace with CFL and the 12V LED's are easily fried because they don't seem to have regulators that can stand the voltage. This is strange because they cost more than the 240V LED's which have built in regulators,, and because most 12V installs are non-regulated transformers.

Moral of the story is , with lighting always use the most simplest most standard bulb size you can.

sandin wrote: »
    They are twice the price of homebase!

Also, there are quite a few old model leds about, so be sure to go by lumens rather than what is claimed. And watch for ones that may not fit exactly into some fittings.
    did you mean these LED ones? http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=190468

how long have the dimmable ones been that cheap? i hadn't seen those when i got mine before xmas, but they look like a non-standard shape and wouldn't fit into my sockets as they're shaped specifically to fit the halogen shape GU10 bulbs, so a lot of the elongated LED GU10's won't fit in my sockets. :(

can't find any of the Osram DuLED's anywhere except amazon though, would love to find them cheaper somewhere. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

but they look like a non-standard shape and wouldn't fit into my sockets as they're shaped specifically to fit the halogen shape GU10 bulbs, so a lot of the elongated LED GU10's won't fit in my sockets. :(

can't find any of the Osram DuLED's anywhere except amazon though, would love to find them cheaper somewhere. :(

Woodies had non spiral duled yoke 0.3w/8w for about €2.20 last year might be worth phoning them.

moodrater wrote: »
    Woodies had non spiral duled yoke 0.3w/8w for about €2.20 last year might be worth phoning them.
    yeah, had a good look in the woodies in blanch but couldn't find them and was kind of in a hurry (i.e. very impatient) so i went with amazon as it was the only place i could find them.

if i'd had any sense at all, i would probably have asked at the info desk if they had them or could get them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

I miss paddy's photos for threads like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I miss paddy's photos for threads like this

Sure he doesn't need bulbs he just burns briquettes

hill+of+Briquettes.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Philips Master vs CorePro.

What's the difference? (googles not being my friend)

Advertisement