Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arg -v- Aus, match preview & thread, Sat 5 Oct, 2340 Irish time

Options
  • 03-10-2013 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭

rugbychampionship.jpg

Adiós Felipe and gracias for the memories

ARGENTINA: 15 Juan Martin Hernandez, 14 Horacio Agulla, 13 Marcelo Bosch, 12 Felipe Contepomi, 11 Juan Imhoff, 10 Nicolas Sanchez, 9 Martin Landajo, 8 Juan Manuel Leguizamon, 7 Pablo Matera, 6 Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe (captain), 5 Patricio Albacete, 4 Julio Farias Cabello, 3 Juan Pablo Orlandi, 2 Eusebio Guinazu, 1 Marcos Ayerza.
    Replacements: 16 Agustin Creevy, 17 Nahuel Lobo, 18 Matias Diaz, 19 Manuel Carizza, 20 Benjamn Macome, 21 Tomas Cubelli, 22 Santiago Fernandez, 23 Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino.

AUSTRALIA: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Christian Lealiifano, 11 Joe Tomane, 10 Quade Cooper, 9 Will Genia, 8 Ben Mowen, 7 Michael Hooper, 6 Scott Fardy, 5 James Horwill (c), 4 Rob Simmons, 3 Ben Alexander, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 James Slipper.
    Replacements: 16 Saia Faingaa, 17 Benn Robinson, 18 Sekope Kepu, 19 Sitaleki Timani, 20 Ben McCalman, 21 Nic White, 22 Matt Toomua, 23 Bernard Foley.

On Saturday evening one of rugby's great characters plays out his final act on the rugby field when Felipe Contempomi retires from international rugby. The 86 test veteran, who made his debut all the way back in 1998, is finally calling it quits at the age of 36. With a degree from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, and a more than handy stint in the blue of Leinster, the Los Puma's player holds a special place in the hearts of rugby followers on these shores. Let's hope he can go out on a high with an inaugural Argentinian victory in the rugby championship.

No preview this time, just the last word to the legend in the form of this interview with Radio Sport in NZ. Felipe Contempomi we salute you!

LINK: Argentinian legend Felipe Contempomi discusses his final test match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Gladly it's past my bed time :pac:.......

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

C'monnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Lobbe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

The Aussie wrote: »
    Gladly it's past my bed time :pac:.......

Good to see you're back. Recovered from the Lions series I trust. Will you be heading along to the Aviva in November to support the men in Green & Gold?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

As far as I'm concerned the pumas better hope it rains (which it has for their last 3 games) and/or that their scrum can be as good without Figallo. Genia's back, and he really changed the game against SA. I fancy Australia to put in their best performance of the comp.

matthew8 wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned the pumas better hope it rains (which it has for their last 3 games) and/or that their scrum can be as good without Figallo. Genia's back, and he really changed the game against SA. I fancy Australia to put in their best performance of the comp.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. The Aussie forward pack is powder puff. I guess if they can obtain 40% of possession or so, the Aussie backs could pull it off. But the Argentinian defence has been pretty good this comp. It'll be close, no doubt, but I actually think Los Pumas might do it - I guess the other worry for them is their lack of fitness which told out in the end last week - but the ABs are more likely to tire a team out than Australia. Figallo is a big loss though.

Paul Cully agrees with you, it's a witty article, and worth a read.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/expect-crumbs-from-scrum-as-pumas-take-lions-share-20131003-2uxad.html

• Advertisement

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Good to see you're back. Recovered from the Lions series I trust.

No, I still cry myself to sleep every night, I wake up in cold sweats thinking I'm Kurtley Beale get stared down at by the Irish Chuck Norris that is Paul O'Connell

Will you be heading along to the Aviva in November to support the men in Green & Gold?

Yes, will put on an Irish accent until the end and see what the scoreline is.

Yes, will put on an Irish accent until the end and see what the scoreline is.

Don't wear the parrot gold jumper so. It's not exactly subtle, in fact you almost need sunglasses. Personally, I'm happy I support the All Blacks and not the All Marigolds...

I might wear a black AC/DC shirt and pass as a Kiwi, I just won't shower for a week before the trip up to Dublin ;)

Instant Kiwi.... :D

I might wear a black AC/DC shirt and pass as a Kiwi, I just won't shower for a week before the trip up to Dublin ;)

Instant Kiwi.... :D

Have you got a mullet? And drive to the ground in a Holden Commodore.

Have you got a mullet? And drive to the ground in a Holden Commodore.

Nah, I'm not that much into role playing, I will only go so far to play the part of a Bro.

So Genia back starting, at least they are not trying to dumb down the attack even further, I thought dumbing down stupid was a master stroke though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I have no idea what either of you are saying. I need a translator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

A Wallaby win will see UMSE on the beer tomorrow night to celebrate Munster beating Leinster

Won't be staying up for this one.

This being Contepomi's last match is a huge motivating factor for Los Pumas.

A Wallaby win will see UMSE on the beer tomorrow night to celebrate Munster beating Leinster

I thought this was on at 11:30. Got up early, had breakfast went to the gym and got back for 11:30 with the intention of watching it and discovered it's not on until now

I've a few bets riding on this so I'll stay up

(took Aus -13 at 5/1 too)

I thought this was on at 11:30. Got up early, had breakfast went to the gym and got back for 11:30 with the intention of watching it and discovered it's not on until now

I've a few bets riding on this so I'll stay up

(took Aus -13 at 5/1 too)

See you at 2340 so. Just watched the first 40 of AB v SA - best first half of test match rugby I've watched since maybe Lions v SA 2nd test 2009.

See you at 2340 so. Just watched the first 40 of AB v SA - best first half of test match rugby I've watched since maybe Lions v SA 2nd test 2009.

told ya!

How fast was the AB v SA game? I feel like I watched Munster v Leinster in slow-mo after this. Ireland will really really have to pick up the pace if they are to compete with NZ.

Lobbe playing tonight, future Munster player. Why? Because JP McManus will take out the chequebook.

That's right. Lobbe to Munster. It's going to happen. Lobbe to Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

How fast was the AB v SA game? I feel like I watched Munster v Leinster in slow-mo after this. Ireland will really really have to pick up the pace if they are to compete with NZ.

Caution: Games in TP can look slower than they are for some reason, might be camera angle to the pitch but that's what I've always found

But to be honest the AB-SA game was not the same sport Leinster-Munster were playing. We (and most of the NH) are a long, long way off NZ

Lads comparing one of the best test matches played this decade to Munster Leinster is a bit unfair. The intensity of the M/L game was huge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Lads comparing one of the best test matches played this decade to Munster Leinster is a bit unfair. The intensity of the M/L game was huge

Schools Senior Cup matches are high intensity, the quality was not what it should be. It's early in the season compared to the SH teams, but the players need to click perfectly if we are to stand a chance against NZ

Tox56 wrote: »
    Caution: Games in TP can look slower than they are for some reason, might be camera angle to the pitch but that's what I've always found

But to be honest the AB-SA game was not the same sport Leinster-Munster were playing. We (and most of the NH) are a long, long way off NZ

I know. Test match v provincial match can't be compared. Just saying Ireland will have to play at a faster tempo than tonight's local derby.

I know. Test match v provincial match can't be compared. Just saying Ireland will have to play at a faster tempo than tonight's local derby.

true. But if NZ turn up like that I don't think we'll be able to live with them, even with a Schmidt gameplan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What's this M/L game you're talking about?

Nothing to do with the Rabo I hope :D

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What's this M/L game you're talking about?

Nothing to do with the Rabo I hope :D

Munster Leinster! very tired!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Munster Leinster! very tired!

Haha my mistake so.

Even in Sextons book he was talking about the Magners League win Leinster had......

fantastic try for the Wallabies

Australia :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Wallabies remember how to play rugby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Maybe this team can finally get it together. Looks a dry enough night, pumas could find it rough.

Advertisement