Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Massive jump in DOE test fees- RSA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

ljpg wrote: »
    put me van through the doe today,failed on rear brake imbalance,(2% off!!!!!)was'nt happy handing over €110,just to add insult to injury its €43 for a retest.

Is brake imbalance not a visual item? I thought visual retests were free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Is brake imbalance not a visual item? I thought visual retests were free?

Its put on a machine, you couldn't tell by just looking at them

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

mickdw wrote: »
    Its really crazy the cost of this test now. I dont have a commercial but I can see its not fair.

It now also applies to camper vans and its yearly for them too. Stinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,158 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Who decided that this increase was a good idea? I believe its some form of levy that has been added to the cost. Whats it for?

Its a government levy yes. We spoke to our test centre today and saw their new price list. The actual fee from the test centre hasn't changed at all, but they now have to add a government levy on top of every fee, and some of the fees are insane.

For example a HGV 3 axle test was €147.67+vat. It still is, but there is now a €55 govt levy on top of that! A digital tacho calibration also has over €50 levy added.

Basically you pay the fee, pay VAT on the fee, and then pay this very pricey levy on top of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

back dating a test is really bad...

NCT do this too. yet you can be prosecuted if its not current.

This is my gripe with RSA its focused on revenue rather than safety

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

It now also applies to camper vans and its yearly for them too. Stinger.

And rightly so!

I could never understand the special treatment that camper van owners got from the RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

And rightly so!

I could never understand the special treatment that camper van owners got from the RSA.

I think they should be tested too. I don't own or want one myself but I think it is sad that with the costs rising the idea of a camper is slowly edging out of reach of more people, like lots of things these days.

Its really crazy the cost of this test now. I dont have a commercial but I can see its not fair. If you end up failing and needing re test, its the guts of €200 if counting alittle diesel cost also and thats every year.
    Who decided that this increase was a good idea? I believe its some form of levy that has been added to the cost. Whats it for?

Its for you to PAY for the RSA's new big brother technology adventure.

Someone has to pay for the live CCTV links to Loughrea, the new computer IT systems, admin and transport officers, and who better than the customer?

It is a very belated kneejerk over-reaction to a number of accidents, 2 actually, Clara bus and Navan bus- according to the RSA's website.

Who decided was the RSA, then the Seanad, which had a "debate" on a number of issues of the proposed legislation and then without much ado signed off on it, as with every other law.

Take it up with your TD/Senator..........:rolleyes:

It's going to be very interesting to compare the First Presented Pass Rate prior to the introduction of all this compared to after...........

Plus, I am reliably informed that from now, if anything actually passes first time it is logged as suspicious by the RSA and passed on the Traffic Corp for attention should they come across it in the normal course of duty.

Says a lot about the RSA's faith in the VTN Doe system really.

So be content to fail, that's as long as you dont get a big "Fail-Dangerous" sticker put on the windscreen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger load of dickheads than the RSA

• Registered Users Posts: 12,777 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Its for you to PAY for the RSA's new big brother technology adventure.

Someone has to pay for the live CCTV links to Loughrea, the new computer IT systems, admin and transport officers, and who better than the customer?

It is a very belated kneejerk over-reaction to a number of accidents, 2 actually, Clara bus and Navan bus- according to the RSA's website.

Who decided was the RSA, then the Seanad, which had a "debate" on a number of issues of the proposed legislation and then without much ado signed off on it, as with every other law.

Take it up with your TD/Senator..........:rolleyes:

It's going to be very interesting to compare the First Presented Pass Rate prior to the introduction of all this compared to after...........

Plus, I am reliably informed that from now, if anything actually passes first time it is logged as suspicious by the RSA and passed on the Traffic Corp for attention should they come across it in the normal course of duty.

Says a lot about the RSA's faith in the VTN Doe system really.

So be content to fail, that's as long as you dont get a big "Fail-Dangerous" sticker put on the windscreen!

A 1 year old vw transporter with 8 or 9000 kms which passes 1st time will now be on the garda radar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

squeezing businesses for more dough to pay for another quango!

someone should explain in small words to this government that every extra cost they lob on to small businesses reduces the chance of them taking on a new worker.

a lot of haulage companies are hanging on by their fingernails n these increases are obscene. ah well, maybe the next lot in will be different!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

well i sent an email to the rsa today to vent my anger at the new pricing,it probably wont change anything i feel just a tiny bit better for doing so.

"Based on UK estimates of the economic impact of such incidents, the cost to Ireland of congestion caused by commercial vehicle breakdowns could be in the range of €1 billion to €2 billion per annum."

How Deputy Sean Kenny (never heard of him) arrived at these figures is anyone's guess.

"Are those in the Department of the view that each day roadsides are littered with vehicles that have broken down? It is now the exception rather than the rule to come across a vehicle that has broken down. I accept, however, that commercial vehicles can break down.

This Bill, I believe, goes too far.

It is not as though there is no regulation in place already.

It is not as though people can drive a lorry without having it properly tested between the MOTs and the DOEs and all the other different tests, along with the Garda enforcing the rules of the road.

In introducing this Bill, are we saying the Garda is not doing its job in this area?

Are we insinuating the delivery of service in testing the vehicles was not up to standard because it was not uniform?

Are we proposing to centralise all testing facilities in Dublin, Limerick and Cork resulting in those needing to get agricultural or commercial vehicles tested having to travel many miles?

We are going too far with the legislation."

Part of Micheal Healy-Rae's submission to the debate.

Then we have:

"I expect the provisions in this Bill will not only have a hugely positive effect on road safety but will also improve our commercial reputation.(?) This legislation provides the groundwork for a radical change in the commercial vehicle and haulage sectors in Ireland and it will send a strong signal internationally that our country is striving to achieve the highest industry standards, particularly in regard to roadworthiness."

Junior Minister Alan Kelly's submission.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,158 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

it will send a strong signal internationally that our country is striving to achieve the highest industry standards, particularly in regard to roadworthiness."[/I]

Junior Minister Alan Kelly's submission.

In fairness, Irish hauliers do currently have an awful reputation internationally for vehicle standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

Just taxing a company van, and noticed now have to include a declaration of commercial use, to be stamped at Garda station. Had to do this when vans were first registered, but haven't had to do it since then. Do these useless paper pushers in civil servant departments have nothing better to do, expecting us to take possibly half a day off work to get this form stamped, and also taking up the time of a Garda who has better things to do.
    I have heard you sometimes have to sign a declaration at motor tax office, with some people using PPS no., but surely these are not witnessed by a Garda. As far as I know this declaration is not law, and is up to each council to determine if you are legitimate business user, so can they demand you take time off your work to go to Garda to stamp forms.
    With all of the new laws, health & safety etc. I am starting to doubt the sanity of many who work in the civil service and implement these changes. There must be somewhere where an ordinary citizen can stand up to these faceless little officials (not Joe Duffy show!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Local council and TDs are the only one's that can change it.

Unfortunately they are hard of hearing unless its election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

911s wrote: »
    Just taxing a company van, and noticed now have to include a declaration of commercial use, )

Ignore it. Taxed mine last week, I did not bring in the form, just the new cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Don't know how you are going for a DOE, we paid €98 and last year we just turned up again to show a few repaired parts.

A privately taxed commercial is a Car and thus should need a two yearly NCT [until ten years?]

No, they have a couple of charges, if repairs are minor and done within a few days there is a lower fee or even a free inspection of just those repairs.

If the vehicle fails a retest, it may get one more chance, but more commonly one has to apply again from the beginning.

I had to take one of my vans to the DOE six times, I had the two mechanics fighting over it, one claiming it was passed already and fixed and the DOE centre failing it continually. That was that van's last DOE, business stopped that year and it's off the road and rusting ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 carr16v

1 brake pad. Who in there right mind replaces 1 brake pad. It doesn't save money, since you get all 4 in the box. Plus if 1 pad is worn, it suggests there is a problem with the caliper? Its standard practice to replace all brake pads per axle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

You need 111.16 euro to test the van. The fact it's taxed privately makes no difference so forget the comments about the nct you doe the van regardless but I'm sure you know that anyway. There is a charge for retest if they have to use equipment in the retest ie not a visual it's less than half the cost of the original test. If it's visual it's a free retest.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Don't know how you are going for a DOE, we paid €98 and last year we just turned up again to show a few repaired parts.

A privately taxed commercial is a Car and thus should need a two yearly NCT [until ten years?]

Your complete and utterly wrong there it's a van regardless and it's doe. Nct don't test vans even if there car derived vans. If it's commercial it goes for a doe no matter what way it's taxed and I know that for a fact.

Bpmull wrote: »
    Your complete and utterly wrong there it's a van regardless and it's doe. Nct don't test vans even if there car derived vans. If it's commercial it goes for a doe no matter what way it's taxed and I know that for a fact.

"Nct don't test vans even if there car derived vans" they do test SUVs even if they are van derived.

A van is a commercial vehicle. ALL SUVs into this country are CARs and CONVERTED to commercials.

The way it stands now is he is free not to test or tax his vehicle and there is no law that compels him to do so.

One cannot use a commercial vehicle for private use. Period. If he is already taxing it on the higher private scale he also is entitled to the two yearly benefit and lower cost of the NCT.

Except, for that loophole that is not covered by law, a commercial vehicle cannot be used privately.

Them's the dice, throw them and see.

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

"Nct don't test vans even if there car derived vans" they do test SUVs even if they are van derived.

A van is a commercial vehicle. ALL SUVs into this country are CARs and CONVERTED to commercials.

The way it stands now is he is free not to test or tax his vehicle and there is no law that compels him to do so.

One cannot use a commercial vehicle for private use. Period. If he is already taxing it on the higher private scale he also is entitled to the two yearly benefit and lower cost of the NCT.

Except, for that loophole that is not covered by law, a commercial vehicle cannot be used privately.

Best wishes.

This is incorrect info in all aspects.

Best wishes.

Any commercial be it commercial jeep van or car derived van gets a doe that's it no loop holes no nothing regardless of what way it's taxed that's from experience I know . The nct won't test commercial vehicles regardless of what way it's taxed.

A commercial vehicle is a commercial vehicle regardless of how it's taxed. As for you suggesting him not to test it well that's breaking the law and the gaurds will expect to see a cvrt disc in the window if its not in the window and they stop your in trouble your breaking the law the loop holes are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

tested one of the jeeps on wednesday and got the disc and cert in the post yesterday

far better than the old system getting the report in the centre and on the council then

€6 saved for the crw cert helps to soften the blow of the increase just a little

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

You need 111.16 euro to test the van. The fact it's taxed privately makes no difference so forget the comments about the nct you doe the van regardless but I'm sure you know that anyway. There is a charge for retest if they have to use equipment in the retest ie not a visual it's less than half the cost of the original test. If it's visual it's a free retest.

the re test fee is un changed , €43 approx

jomoloney wrote: »
    tested one of the jeeps on wednesday and got the disc and cert in the post yesterday

far better than the old system getting the report in the centre and on the council then

€6 saved for the crw cert helps to soften the blow of the increase just a little

I agree with everything you say there. I put my disc in the window yesterday :) it's nice to get a proper pass sheet in the day with actual figure so you can gauge what's good and what's boarder line.

• Advertisement

I can't even understand the first part your saying.

Then you don't know the motor industry as much as you might think you do. No harm. You have your specialty and you are not giving bad advise, just not complete.

Give it another six months, nothing will change tomorrow or next month or even next year TBH. But changes will slowly filter through to enforcement and traffic offences and as people flock to buy commercial vehicles and tax them privately there will be another change and another witch hunt.

I'm driving 40 years this month and took advantage of all the loopholes over the years, private vehicles taxes commercially, commercial vehicle taxed privately, commercial vehicles taxed commercially and private vehicle taxed privately.

There is a time of advantage for each scenario.

Advertisement